Discord and game lag

Go to solution Solved by toni__95,
On 6/19/2022 at 10:24 PM, MrMase said:

Now you have mentioned it happens on your phone too then yes it could be, ISP's have traffic management policies that are sometimes a pain. If there is a lack of capacity in your area then the exchange you go back to can be impacted by your neighbours, to get around this the traffic management policies have been known to prioritise general web traffic over games, I recall seeing Virgin Media getting in some hot water about this a few years back to I continued to avoid them. TalkTalk in the past have taken it upon themselves to block TeamViewer on occasion so ISP's are a possibility.

After contacting the ISP and giving them the tracert results, their engineering team detected the root cause of the issue. They estimate the issue to be solved in about a week.

This issue has been been happening for about a week now, it was completely fine beforehand.

So I played COD with my mates in a Discord call, and their voices lagged and the game lagged terribly.
Restarting router / PC resolved the issue temporarily, then it eventually happened again.

I have no issues when watching YouTube or anything.
When I do a speed test, these are my results:

image.png.ac0e71d677acc6f7d4a55853f536033a.png

Update:

I got an ethernet cable and the issue is still persisting. It happens around night time. It works fine in the afternoon. I played COD and it works fine with no lag. Discord on the other hand was nuts. at times it would go from 24 ping to 5000 ping. peoples voices lag on Discord phone too. Sometimes when I am speaking on Discord, they will be clear then eventually they will lag a little bit and then lag to the point where i cannot hear them at all, and then a mix of these things will happen again.image.png.8891cf59ba70525fb5fc706082a04d60.png

Any suggestions?

Your connected via ethernet now so that is good and rules out wireless issues.

Has there been any change in environmental factors such as other family members watching Netflix around the same time? If they are streaming 4k for example I am thinking your connection may be getting maxed out.

Other devices possibly updating ie Xbox's, Playstations etc?

7 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Your connected via ethernet now so that is good and rules out wireless issues.

Has there been any change in environmental factors such as other family members watching Netflix around the same time? If they are streaming 4k for example I am thinking your connection may be getting maxed out.

Other devices possibly updating ie Xbox's, Playstations etc?

Nope. I am the only one using the internet in the house right now. 😕

If the issue is only happening at certain times of the day have you ruled out any tasks your computer may be running at that time (Task Managers Performance tab may help find a hardware cause).

If not your computer then it could be ISP capacity related in the area. Your speed test result was that taken at the time when the issue was occurring?

Is this happening for all discord servers? Could just be a problem with the connection to the region the server is using.

14 minutes ago, MrMase said:

If the issue is only happening at certain times of the day have you ruled out any tasks your computer may be running at that time (Task Managers Performance tab may help find a hardware cause).

If not your computer then it could be ISP capacity related in the area. Your speed test result was that taken at the time when the issue was occurring?

Just tried to play a game of Dead by Daylight and the lag just made it completely unplayable. There are no tasks on my PC that specifically occur around this time. The speed test result happened during the issue.

You mentioned when it occurs you rebooted the computer and the router which temporarily solved it, can you try just the router. If that works may be worth seeing if that is the cause if the ISP will replace it (especially if a few years old).

If a reboot of the router alone doesn't work then we are back to the PC, in which case I would be looking at Task Manager to see if theres an issue such as RAM usage above 80 - 90% where it starts caching information to the Disk

2 minutes ago, MrMase said:

You mentioned when it occurs you rebooted the computer and the router which temporarily solved it, can you try just the router. If that works may be worth seeing if that is the cause if the ISP will replace it (especially if a few years old).

If a reboot of the router alone doesn't work then we are back to the PC, in which case I would be looking at Task Manager to see if theres an issue such as RAM usage above 80 - 90% where it starts caching information to the Disk

Rebooting the router alone doesn't fix the issue. And there is no software on my pc that severely impacts RAM usage. Everything is normal.

Ok, so my next suggestion then based on the date is that it could have been caused by the latest Windows Update as if your computer is updating when it should we have just gone past Microsofts patch tuesday. This is just a guess and I have no evidence to support this but some things to try.

1. Update your network driver to the latest from Intel / Realtek (typically one of these)

2. If not solved by the above try removing the latest update installed by Windows and adding a pause for 7 days to Windows updates to prevent reinstall.

20 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Ok, so my next suggestion then based on the date is that it could have been caused by the latest Windows Update as if your computer is updating when it should we have just gone past Microsofts patch tuesday. This is just a guess and I have no evidence to support this but some things to try.

1. Update your network driver to the latest from Intel / Realtek (typically one of these)

2. If not solved by the above try removing the latest update installed by Windows and adding a pause for 7 days to Windows updates to prevent reinstall.

All network drivers are already up to date. I removed the latest update and put on a 7 day pause and the issue still occurs ;(

Could this possibly be something on my ISP's side out of my control? Because this only started happening recently and the Discord lag also happens on my phone.

1 minute ago, toni__95 said:

All network drivers are already up to date. I removed the latest update and put on a 7 day pause and the issue still occurs ;(

Could this possibly be something on my ISP's side out of my control? Because this only started happening recently and the Discord lag also happens on my phone.

Now you have mentioned it happens on your phone too then yes it could be, ISP's have traffic management policies that are sometimes a pain. If there is a lack of capacity in your area then the exchange you go back to can be impacted by your neighbours, to get around this the traffic management policies have been known to prioritise general web traffic over games, I recall seeing Virgin Media getting in some hot water about this a few years back to I continued to avoid them. TalkTalk in the past have taken it upon themselves to block TeamViewer on occasion so ISP's are a possibility.

4 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Right. I will contact my provider tomorrow. Hopefully something can be done.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:24 PM, MrMase said:

After contacting the ISP and giving them the tracert results, their engineering team detected the root cause of the issue. They estimate the issue to be solved in about a week.

1 hour ago, toni__95 said:

Glad to hear they found the cause 🙂

18 hours ago, MrMase said:

Glad to hear they found the cause 🙂

Thanks for your advice and suggestions 🙂