I need a UPS for Enthusiast Parts PC?

I have a Synology NAS in my home. It belongs to my dad who uses it as his offsite backup. Since it is in my home, I have admin privileges and have been learning the basics. Playing with plex, docker, ssh etc. Just Tinkerxplorin.

I came across a free UPS with a bad battery. Its an APC 500 something salvaged from an office building. I have a new battery on order, excited to put that in and try to link the synology to the ups for smart shutdown during an outage. As I'm learning about how to use my salvaged UPS, I hear Linus an Luke discuss the idea that any overclocked PC costing about 1500 bucks, really should be on a UPS. Not to continue gaming when the lights go out, but to provide clean consistent power.

I got to researching. Given current gfx card power demands, I don't think the salvage UPS would do well with my 1000 watt PSU. I searched for a 1000 watt UPS. Found the least expensive well reviewed option at a bit over $200. Given the price, anyone have any insight into the benefits of a UPS on a gaming/OC pc vs putting that $200 into a nicer power supply?

26 minutes ago, Verat1k said:

I have a Synology NAS in my home. It belongs to my dad who uses it as his offsite backup. Since it is in my home, I have admin privileges and have been learning the basics. Playing with plex, docker, ssh etc. Just Tinkerxplorin.

I came across a free UPS with a bad battery. Its an APC 500 something salvaged from an office building. I have a new battery on order, excited to put that in and try to link the synology to the ups for smart shutdown during an outage. As I'm learning about how to use my salvaged UPS, I hear Linus an Luke discuss the idea that any overclocked PC costing about 1500 bucks, really should be on a UPS. Not to continue gaming when the lights go out, but to provide clean consistent power.

I got to researching. Given current gfx card power demands, I don't think the salvage UPS would do well with my 1000 watt PSU. I searched for a 1000 watt UPS. Found the least expensive well reviewed option at a bit over $200. Given the price, anyone have any insight into the benefits of a UPS on a gaming/OC pc vs putting that $200 into a nicer power supply?

Nicer power supply will only make it more difficult to afford a suitable UPS option, and at 1000W already... What exactly is in this thing that you need 1000W?

Also, bear in mind that most UPS are rated in VA, which is NOT the same as wattage. There's a conversion formula, but there are variables to it that no ordinary person would be privy to. That being said, I bought a 1000VA APC unit for my system (5900X / RTX3060ti with minimal RGB and an 850W PSU, which pulls around 450W running moderately hard, closer to 175W at idle. That 1000VA buys me around 10-15 minutes of backup time (usage dependent of course), including 55" display.

I believe a UPS is a good idea no matter what you use the machine for. And this is one area you do NOT want to cheap out. A good one doesn't just save the machine from an improper shutdown, it also filters electrical noise and other imperfections that can adversely affect equipment over time, such as light voltage surges and sags. But also be aware that there are different types of sine output. Some are harmful to electronics, some especially to certain types of equipment, most of which are not a concern here.

However, pure sine is the the only sure way to know that your equipment won't bite you where the sun doesn't shine with the difference in other types. And pure sine units are not cheap. If you've got any illusions of being able to weather the storm gaming for hours while everyone else sits in the dark, abandon them now, because the best you can hope for with an average-sized pure sine on a typical gaming system is about 10-20 minutes, less if you're running hard. With a NAS, it's hard to say.

EDIT: APC units (and some others) use a USB cable to communicate with the system. Some can do an automatic shutdown, others cannot. It usually attaches to an RJ-45 connector in the unit itself.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

> I hear Linus an Luke discuss the idea that any overclocked PC costing about 1500 bucks, really should be on a UPS. Not to continue gaming when the lights go out, but to provide clean consistent power.

Do you even have a decent enough filtering power supply in the first place?

on battery .

can you share both the ups and battery you bought?

also something not mention is factor power draw over time of battery.

so if its pulling 400 watts full bore. and it a 550 watt ups over time the strength of the battery will go down.

ups use 3 different terms.(vastly annoy me)

this is what am running on my

1950x build under full load it pulls 650 watts. i only have 1 monitor plug into also.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

now the flair build in my sig. that alone draw around 900. when you hit that level of draw.. ups double in price.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC