Need to purchase SQL standard, it's been very annoying and frustrating

So I support a server running a special medical office management software. It's generally been fine and the company has decent tech support when needed.

The software uses SQL express 2016 but the DB is getting too large.

The software vendor says all I need to do is run the SQL standard install and have it upgrade the existing instance for their software. They say it is simple and of course I can call them if needed.

So, I haven't seen an obvious place to purchase SQL standard. Amazon is spotty, Ebay has it for cheap but they are embedded or IOT or foreign sellers and is very sus. CDW has it but is confusing as prices are all over the place and descriptions are nebulous

https://www.cdw.com/product/microsoft-sql-server-2019-standard-license-1-license/6083436?pfm=srh.

My initial search led me to MS website where they point me to Microsoft Partners.

I found one that is somewhat local and they have been pretty bad. They are a firm geared towards large databases and server farms and corporate projects. It's all "statement of work" and "NDA" and "regroup with a zoom call" type of stuff. Initially they quoted me over $2000 of labor with all kinds of terms and conditions but no actual software. I told them repeatedly all I wanted was to buy the software. It's been over a month and still no written quote.

Luckily, by talking with them I learned a few things about SQL and licensing and so on.

My question - Is it safe to buy SQL from newegg?

Something like this, if legit, will get me licensed for a decent cost.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1WK-015M-00023?Description=sql server standard&cm_re=sql_server standard-_-9SIA4A0HBA0622-_-Product&quicklink=true

I can get the 2017 install, upgrade my server and be done with it. But I don't want to get scammed and I've heard some bad rumblings about newegg.

I guess the real question is where is a good place to get SQL?

5 hours ago, restorestore said:

So I support a server running a special medical office management software. It's generally been fine and the company has decent tech support when needed.

The software uses SQL express 2016 but the DB is getting too large.

The software vendor says all I need to do is run the SQL standard install and have it upgrade the existing instance for their software. They say it is simple and of course I can call them if needed.

So, I haven't seen an obvious place to purchase SQL standard. Amazon is spotty, Ebay has it for cheap but they are embedded or IOT or foreign sellers and is very sus. CDW has it but is confusing as prices are all over the place and descriptions are nebulous

https://www.cdw.com/product/microsoft-sql-server-2019-standard-license-1-license/6083436?pfm=srh.

My initial search led me to MS website where they point me to Microsoft Partners.

I found one that is somewhat local and they have been pretty bad. They are a firm geared towards large databases and server farms and corporate projects. It's all "statement of work" and "NDA" and "regroup with a zoom call" type of stuff. Initially they quoted me over $2000 of labor with all kinds of terms and conditions but no actual software. I told them repeatedly all I wanted was to buy the software. It's been over a month and still no written quote.

Luckily, by talking with them I learned a few things about SQL and licensing and so on.

My question - Is it safe to buy SQL from newegg?

Something like this, if legit, will get me licensed for a decent cost.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1WK-015M-00023?Description=sql server standard&cm_re=sql_server standard-_-9SIA4A0HBA0622-_-Product&quicklink=true

I can get the 2017 install, upgrade my server and be done with it. But I don't want to get scammed and I've heard some bad rumblings about newegg.

I guess the real question is where is a good place to get SQL?

Hello, Microsoft sells them, What is the version you need? SQL 2019 or SQL 2021 preview? here is a preview link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/sql-server-2019-standard-edition/dg7gmgf0fkx9?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The server is running server 2012R2 I need to install 2017.

The server is a VM using 4 cores and there are around 15 connections to the server.

this is SQL standard 2019, which will be fine as it is possible to downgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/sql-server-2019-standard-edition/dg7gmgf0fkx9?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

But is it "per server" or "core" licensing? My understanding is I need to buy CALs if I get the "per server" version. And the "core" version is in 2 core increments.

The server is running server 2012R2 I need to install 2017.

The server is a VM using 4 cores and there are around 15 connections to the server.

image.thumb.png.f8623303a7b1e87331a33ba8194640fc.png

This is the pricing structure for SQL 2017. Please let me know which one is preferable and I can supply the link to buy it.

How big is the database?

I'd be very reluctant to spend $3k on a database server, when it still works with the express version now, and without a guarantee you could migrate to the new version.

My work has a software using an older MS SQL version and I know for sure it can't be migrated to 2019 or newer due to some issues with views and stored procedures and crap like that.

Could probably get more life out of it by upgrading to a SSD or more RAM and/or maybe moving some data out of the database (if possible)

My understanding is that per-core is in 2 core increments, and I need 15 CALS if I go that way. I'd like to see info for both ways, if possible.

I have been told it isn't possible to buy SQL 2017 any more, is this untrue?

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

How big is the database?

I'd be very reluctant to spend $3k on a database server, when it still works with the express version now, and without a guarantee you could migrate to the new version.

My work has a software using an older MS SQL version and I know for sure it can't be migrated to 2019 or newer due to some issues with views and stored procedures and crap like that.

Could probably get more life out of it by upgrading to a SSD or more RAM and/or maybe moving some data out of the database (if possible)

The database is around 8.5 GB now, out of the 10 GB limit.

The practice management software requires more free space than that to perform a software update and they are no longer able to update the software.

Thus the need to upgrade to full version.

The database is around 8.5 GB now, out of the 10 GB limit.

The practice management software requires more free space than that to perform a software update and they are no longer able to update the software.

Thus the need to upgrade to full version.

From what I could gather, you have to contact microsoft and you can buy it. image.png.160f1ea4a34075d5b5dbf74031716b5e.png

2 minutes ago, Captinjigglesworth said:

I would say go for it, Ebay always has a money back guarantee lol and the seller has good review.

is this normal for SQL?

you will receive a license key (printout) and an original flash drive

1 minute ago, restorestore said:

is this normal for SQL?

for some reason I would not trust a flashdrive coming from Ebay.. 

Just now, RZomerman said:

oh but it supposedly says MICROSOFT on it, that's gotta count for something lol.

12 hours ago, restorestore said:

is this normal for SQL?

for Microsoft, yes, you used to be able to walk into a store like best buy and any product by Microsoft used to have a flash drive in the box, now they are just license keys but they were flash drives in 2017.

12 hours ago, RZomerman said:

I would also be sketched out about a flash drive from ebay, if you do buy it i would recommend plugging it into a computer you don't necessarily care about first lol

3 minutes ago, Captinjigglesworth said:

for Microsoft, yes, you used to be able to walk into a store like best buy and any product by Microsoft used to have a flash drive in the box, now they are just license keys but they were flash drives in 2017.

I would also be sketched out about a flash drive from ebay, if you do buy it i would recommend plugging it into a computer you don't necessarily care about first lol

Ok, this might be the last question. (maybe)

Is it true that when you install SQL (or in this case upgrade an instance) there really is no "key" that gets entered, and the licensing and any CALs you get are to prove compliance in case of an audit?

And, as long as I get a legit license key this server will be GTG because I can get the 2017 ISO from MS.

12 hours ago, restorestore said:

Ok, this might be the last question. (maybe)

Is it true that when you install SQL (or in this case upgrade an instance) there really is no "key" that gets entered, and the licensing and any CALs you get are to prove compliance in case of an audit?

And, as long as I get a legit license key this server will be GTG because I can get the 2017 ISO from MS.

I do believe so, my understanding is that the flash drive is just the install.

Just contact a local IT service provider that is a Microsoft partner and just buy it through them, not only will they make sure you get the correct licenses you will get the required retail media.

19 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Just contact a local IT service provider that is a Microsoft partner and just buy it through them, not only will they make sure you get the correct licenses you will get the required retail media.

If you check my original post, I've done that. I contacted a number of SQL MS partners and they did not reply. I contacted one who got back to me and it's been a nightmare.

44 minutes ago, restorestore said:

If you check my original post, I've done that. I contacted a number of SQL MS partners and they did not reply. I contacted one who got back to me and it's been a nightmare.

Ah sorry I missed that, only saw the CDW and other online ones. Ones geared towards supporting small and medium sized business are a lot easier to deal with, large MSP's are very corporatized as you noticed.

I've mostly only used Volume License Agreements so get my software ISO's and license keys that way, however be aware there are minimum purchases required depending on what license type you choose.

SQL Server Standard Core

Sold in packs of two cores, SQL Server Standard has the same minimum requirements as Enterprise, 4 cores per processor or total number of cores on the server, whichever is higher. Virtual instances are also licensed the same as Enterprise, minimum of 4 core per virtual SQL server is required or the total number of virtual cores allocated, whichever is higher.

Be aware of those minimums and requirement to license all cores if above the minimum, you are not allowed to "limit" the number of CPU cores SQL uses to pay a lower license.

For you since you mention it's a VM with 4 vCPUs then you can purchase the minimum required under this license model.

This is the easier licensing method however can be more expensive

SQL Server Standard + CAL

Licensing SQL under the CAL model requires each instance of SQL (virtual or physical) to be licensed with a single SQL Server license. Then a choice of User or Device CALs (Client Access Licenses) are required for every user or device which can access the server. Access to the server does not have to be direct to require a CAL. Indirect access such access to a SharePoint server supported by SQL will also require the user or device to have a SQL CAL despite not directly accessing the SQL Server. If the number of users or devices cannot be quantified then Core licensing is required.

Licensing the virtual instance with Software Assurance is required if the virtual server can move between hosts more than once every 90 days. This benefit is called License mobility across server farms.

So things to be aware of with this license type is you have to pick only one CAL type, no mixing, so you should pick whichever one requires the least number of licenses. Also no hiding User CAL requirements behind service account connections appearing as only that user, or anything like that. Services accounts are also included or other servers or systems if using Device CALs, absolutely everything must be covered.

This is the more complicated license type to get correct, also pay special attention to the last sentence.

For your requirements the cheaper license type is Standard + CAL:

• SQL Server Standard - $899, SQL Server CAL $209 x 15: $4034
  • SQL Server Standard Core - $3586 x 2:  $7172

Software Assurance is a further $1418/year per 2 Cores so my advice is if you the VM is in an HA cluster pin it to a single host through affinity rule so it will not move unless the server is put in to maintenance or it fails. Make sure it cannot move around using HA/DRS etc and if you do move it leave it where it is for 90 days.

Pricing only provided as general guidance, still advise finding a not useless Microsoft partner to get potentially better pricing and audit trail in case not correct number of license etc. You don't have to find one that specializes in SQL just one that is a Microsoft partner.

20 hours ago, leadeater said:

This is the more complicated license type to get correct, also pay special attention to the last sentence.

For your requirements the cheaper license type is Standard + CAL:

• SQL Server Standard - $899, SQL Server CAL $209 x 15: $4034
  • SQL Server Standard Core - $3586 x 2:  $7172

Software Assurance is a further $1418/year per 2 Cores so my advice is if you the VM is in an HA cluster pin it to a single host through affinity rule so it will not move unless the server is put in to maintenance or it fails. Make sure it cannot move around using HA/DRS etc and if you do move it leave it where it is for 90 days.

Pricing only provided as general guidance, still advise finding a not useless Microsoft partner to get potentially better pricing and audit trail in case not correct number of license etc. You don't have to find one that specializes in SQL just one that is a Microsoft partner.

Ok, this just gets better and better. I went here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/sql-server-2019-standard-edition/dg7gmgf0fkx9?activetab=pivot:requirementstab

https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/9/0/290f991b-5971-42e5-bb2c-81f700622b2e/SQL Server 2019 Editions Datasheet.pdf

and saw that SQL is ~$3200. It says it is for 24 cores. Says nothing about 2 cores and says nothing about CALs. I did a chat and confirmed with what appeared to be a real person that SQL 2019 standard is ~ $3200 for 24 cores. Period.

----Headdesk---

4 hours ago, restorestore said:

Ok, this just gets better and better. I went here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/sql-server-2019-standard-edition/dg7gmgf0fkx9?activetab=pivot:requirementstab

https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/9/0/290f991b-5971-42e5-bb2c-81f700622b2e/SQL Server 2019 Editions Datasheet.pdf

and saw that SQL is ~$3200. It says it is for 24 cores. Says nothing about 2 cores and says nothing about CALs. I did a chat and confirmed with what appeared to be a real person that SQL 2019 standard is ~ $3200 for 24 cores. Period.

----Headdesk---

Well then go for it, save a copy of that chat, you know just in case, then enjoy an actually reasonably priced SQL option

I also found that store page from Microsoft but I didn't want to link it because I had no idea what it covered, very good idea asking Microsoft directly.

1 minute ago, restorestore said:

The consultants are pointing to THIS page, which says completely different things and doesn't show the same price for any option as the link above.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-2019-pricing

That is the page I used to give you the pricing in my post earlier. I do actually have a fair a mount of experience with Microsoft licensing and SQL licensing but I'm only willing to go so far with my advice and will always defer to either asking Microsoft or a paid company so you have your ass covered.

That page with those prices is as far as I know correct. Like I mentioned earlier I really only deal with Volume License Agreements so the prices are different but what you have to actually purchase is the same.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That is the page I used to give you the pricing in my post earlier. I do actually have a fair a mount of experience with Microsoft licensing and SQL licensing but I'm only willing to go so far with my advice and will always defer to either asking Microsoft or a paid company so you have your ass covered.

That page with those prices is as far as I know correct. Like I mentioned earlier I really only deal with Volume License Agreements so the prices are different but what you have to actually purchase is the same.

So this may be a retail vs volume/OEM issue?

I can add SQL for $3189 to my cart and go to checkout and it does not say it is a 2 core pack, nor does the first page link to the page you and the consultants reference that mention a 2 core pack.

I have no doubt both are real, what is confusing is why there is such a profound discrepancy, even being supported by a chat.