RMA Nightmares

I was making a computer build around certain companies and then was about to purchase the computer and then did something I shouldn't have.

I began reading customer comments and ran into several RMA issues from almost every company I was about to deal with along with some sobering nightmarish scenarios :/

Now I'm left second guessing the whole purchasing thing and I don't dare move to making the purchase at all.  Are some RMA nightmares from people who hate those companies or actual scenarios that played out despite the person having liked the company in question or not @_@.

With my Horrible Luck, I guess what I need is advice as to what companies to AVOID;

which companies I can TRUST.

here is a list of companies and what item that I will be buying.

ASUS - MOBO

ASUS - GPU -> changing to EVGA due to popular vote.

Intel - CPU

Intel - SSD

Corsair - PSU -> changing to SeaSonic or EVGA unsure yet.

Corsair - Keyboard

Corsair - Case Fans

Western Digital - HDD

Razer - Mouse

Cooler Master - CPU Air Cooler

G-Skill - RAM

Bit Fenix - Fan Controller

Mountain Mods - Computer Case

In your experiences are these companies good to deal with should something arrive DOA at my doorstep,

and which company in this list would you avoid and why.

Thanks in advance.

Asus Customer support is crap, for the GPU go EVGA their Customer support and RMA services are second to none. Check the last link in my sig to see my experience with them.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

thanks everyone who has written so far it is really helping me decide before I make a huge mistake buying from one company over another.

Already Asus GPU bye bye and hello EVGA.

There ought to be an unbiased review from every company out there to help people decide really what companies are worth dealing with to those companies who ought to go bankrupt with lousy customer service like that.

i love how everyone buying stuff online is like yep 90% that someting is broken when i get it :P ... it RARELY happends that you get a DOA

Hmmm how to best explain this the best that i can? Every company listed are very good companies. even some that you did not name such as, MSi,Gigabyte, Seagate Gigabyte and many more top tier companies. The thing with watching out with RMA'a is that every company will make the mistake and have a DOA product come through their assembly lines that does not get caught in time before shipped out to the distributors, its rare but it does happen. I have been ordering PC parts for 14 years now and have bought from just about every company known to man.  I have never had to RMA any product except two, which was a HIS HD3850 back in 2006 and my ASUS X79-Deluxe motherboard that i bought 7-8 months ago. Both HIS and ASUS were easy RMA's and got each back with in two weeks of sending them out, no issues no problems with RMAing either. This is coming from someone that spends no less then $2000 a year for PC components each year.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Generally, your experience with them will vary on the region you are in.

From my experience with RMA's and general support, WD, ASUS, Intel and Corsair have really top notch support.

Thank you all for writing your opinion that is what I am after is a consensus as to what company to avoid like the plague and which to choose when deciding to make a purchase.

So far it looks like for GPU EVGA wins over ASUS for my build.  Not because I expect problems but if I do it is nice to know EVGA won't give me the hassle ASUS would from what I can see by all the comments.

Thank you I hope to gather more information to make the best decision I can prior to making a purchase.

Your better of going with Caselabs over Mountain Mods, In terms of just sheer design, function and quality they are miles ahead of everyone. Also, there support is just awesome, they even cover shipping over parts that are defective, no questions asked.

Instead of that cooler master air cooler you might want to try one of the "Be Quiet" ones. I've heard they are really nice and not very much more (like $15 maybe).

No idea about there warranty though, the only thing that could really break is the fan and in that case you might as well buy a new one as it would cost as much as shipping lol.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

I am looking at Mountain Mods for their Cube Eatx Case I haven't tried caselabs yet are they good at making Eatx cube cases?

There a discount for masons anywhere Focux? lol ;)

I am looking at Mountain Mods for their Cube Case I haven't tried caselabs yet are they good at making cube cases?

They have:

Mercury s3 for itx

Mercury s5 for mATX

Mercury s8 for ATX

I have the Mercury s8, build log in the sig if u wanna check the case out.

I am looking at Mountain Mods for their Cube Case I haven't tried caselabs yet are they good at making cube cases?

Greetings Square.Its nice to be blinded by the light. Case labs make very nice modular cases. They do have a few issues but not many. Tabs can wear out but case labs do provide extra with any case you buy. They are very easy to build in. If you want to know more search youtube with the case info and you should be able to find lots of reviews. If you need any help PM

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

IMO its best to have the mentality that after 30 days, youre SOL. That way when you do have to return something and they let you, youll be much happier lol. But seriously, don't let things like RMA sway you from buying a setup youve envisioned. 

• 1 month later...

That is an interesting thought D3AN

after 30 days SOL

My original fear was buying from a company that wouldn't backup their claims + product by giving half decent customer support to someone after all bought into their claims and product line in the first place with real cash.

You made me think though about what I had wanted to buy at first but I have a question to the after 30 days SOL.   How would one get to receive the items using Express Delivery and yet still get it after a week.  Does that count toward the 30 days or SOL?

Once I would receive everything considering "IF" I get everything on the same day put things together in a test bench setup and test it but is there a hardware tester that I could buy to make sure I'm getting what I paid for within the 1 week I would have should I need to ship anything back probably take about as long to send than receive it.

Is a 1 week burn in time enough to really know will this part fail me after 3 weeks of hard use? after the 30 days, is there a means to test every component in that time span.  I honestly don't know because I've never done this before but I am thinking of 24/7 for a solid week running stress tests to see if the system buckles under the strain the second it does at the end of that week ship it back for replacement in keeping with after 30 days SOL idea. 

Any thoughts?

you can't say that a company has bad support based on a couple of bad experiences, there is no 100% certainty that this company is bad and this is good, anyone can be unlucky, a few cases will slip between your fingers when you might be doing hundreds or thousands or rma's. I had a terrible experience with corsair, the support guy was absolutely useless and did not respond to my questions, he just wrote generic responses completely and utterly unrelated to my comment/replies as if i had a scripted drone replying to me, i had to wait well over a month for the replacement so my system was collecting dust for almost two months while i was waiting for the power supply, do i think you should avoid corsair because of that? no, because everyone wont have the same experience.

don't let a couple of bad reviews sway you from buying what you want, if the overwhelming majority complains, that's a different matter, either way the chances of you having to rma something, while slightly dependent on the components, is pretty low.

but certain companies do have different customs and procedures, would probably be easier to form an opinion based on that, some solid information as opposed to a couple of individuals here and there.

you can't say that a company has bad support based on a couple of bad experiences, there is no 100% certainty that this company is bad and this is good, anyone can be unlucky, a few cases will slip between your fingers when you might be doing hundreds or thousands or rma's. I had a terrible experience with corsair, the support guy was absolutely useless and did not respond to my questions, he just wrote generic responses completely and utterly unrelated to my comment/replies as if i had a scripted drone replying to me, i had to wait well over a month for the replacement so my system was collecting dust for almost two months while i was waiting for the power supply, do i think you should avoid corsair because of that? no, because everyone wont have the same experience.

don't let a couple of bad reviews sway you from buying what you want, if the overwhelming majority complains, that's a different matter, either way the chances of you having to rma something, while slightly dependent on the components, is pretty low.

but certain companies do have different customs and procedures, would probably be easier to form an opinion based on that, some solid information as opposed to a couple of individuals here and there.

I have to agree with @tobben. I had an 8gb corsair vengeance kit which was DOA. I sent it back and ALL they did was send me back the SAME RAM, what a waste of money.

I tried to contact them again and they told me that it worked in their test bench.

I tried the RAM in my friends lga1155 build, in my mothers' lga1155 build, in my am3+ build, in my brothers' lga1150 build and finally in a lga1336 build, and it didn't work in any one of those.

I just bought some crucial memory (i usually buy crucial) and it worked flawlessly.

Sold the corsair RAM for 5 euros.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Only one on that list I'd avoid is Razer. Mostly because they are designed to break just after warranty wears off. Junk.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Corsair - PSU -> changing to SeaSonic or EVGA unsure yet.

Some of corsair's PSUs are actually seasonic rebrands, you may not want to completely toss the idea of getting a corsair psu.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

• 1 month later...

Some of corsair's PSUs are actually seasonic rebrands, you may not want to completely toss the idea of getting a corsair psu.

Only the AX series, however most AX series suffer from coil whine (except the AX1500i)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

• 2 weeks later...