Building my computer it powered on, try it again no power

Googoo
Go to solution Solved by Nicodemus,

Seems like it could be a faulty PSU, could be failing with the increased power load. I would try to swap out a different power supply and see if she will boot or not. 

Computer specs

Cpu: ryzen 5600x

Gpu: 3070 ti 

Motherboard: msi b550 pro

Ram: ripjaws 16gb dual

Psu: antec hcg 650w 

Storage: inland nvme 2t, high Performance 

I first tested it, everything powered on rgb on gpu and all fans were spinning. But the i needed to assemble it in to my case, so i did and no power, weird part is, I would fix it tomorrow, turn off psu unplugged, try it again again the next day, but with out the gpu and it worked, turn off, put back gpu, no power. Why is this happening? I got the hole system with power on before. Is it the cmos? is it the psu?

Another thing is, next same day, i turn off psu and unplugged waited minutes, turn on my system on without gpu successfully, left to get a drink, maybe it was a couple minutes, it had turn off, not sure if it turns off normally on its own or it gave up some how like an error to supply power,  because i tried to turn on, did not unplugged anything or touch anything, just the case power button and no power again, i think its a psu thing, maybe cmos. what should i do?

Seems like it could be a faulty PSU, could be failing with the increased power load. I would try to swap out a different power supply and see if she will boot or not. 

Main Rig: | CPU: Intel Core i9-7900x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Founders | Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz | SSD: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 1TB & Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | Sound: Parasound ZDAC & Burson Soloist Amp | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 | Case: Caselabs MAGNUM SMA8 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 800 | Keyboard: WASD V3 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Mousepad: Logitech G PowerPlay | CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | Primary Monitor: Acer Predator XB272 | Extra Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster PX2370 |

1 hour ago, Nicodemus said:

The system has power.. PSU's tend to be all or nothing... But there's always an exception to the rule.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:43 PM, Googoo said:

Computer specs

Cpu: ryzen 5600x

Gpu: 3070 ti 

Motherboard: msi b550 pro

Ram: ripjaws 16gb dual

Psu: antec hcg 650w 

Storage: inland nvme 2t, high Performance 

I first tested it, everything powered on rgb on gpu and all fans were spinning. But the i needed to assemble it in to my case, so i did and no power, weird part is, I would fix it tomorrow, turn off psu unplugged, try it again again the next day, but with out the gpu and it worked, turn off, put back gpu, no power. Why is this happening? I got the hole system with power on before. Is it the cmos? is it the psu?

Another thing is, next same day, i turn off psu and unplugged waited minutes, turn on my system on without gpu successfully, left to get a drink, maybe it was a couple minutes, it had turn off, not sure if it turns off normally on its own or it gave up some how like an error to supply power,  because i tried to turn on, did not unplugged anything or touch anything, just the case power button and no power again, i think its a psu thing, maybe cmos. what should i do?

The system has power, so the PSU should be fine. PSU's tend to be all or nothing... If there's a PSU fault you should "should" hear a click when it shuts down from an electrical fault.. If the PSU failed you may smell burnt electronics by putting your nose to the exhaust vents...

I mean no disrespect but it's hard to understand your problem.. Sounds like the system booted without a GPU and you get a black screen with it plugged in?

It ran for a few minutes then turned off? That sounds like a protect fault..

My best guess and this is probably way off, if you have an electrical problem.. A ground? a bad connection?

On 6/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, VladTheImpaler said:

The system has power.. PSU's tend to be all or nothing... But there's always an exception to the rule.

The system has power, so the PSU should be fine. PSU's tend to be all or nothing... If there's a PSU fault you should "should" hear a click when it shuts down from an electrical fault.. If the PSU failed you may smell burnt electronics by putting your nose to the exhaust vents...

I mean no disrespect but it's hard to understand your problem.. Sounds like the system booted without a GPU and you get a black screen with it plugged in?

It ran for a few minutes then turned off? That sounds like a protect fault..

My best guess and this is probably way off, if you have an electrical problem.. A ground? a bad connection?

Well i decided to do an RMA with antec. And they are having me cut the 24 pin taking a picture of it and the s/n, also to void the warranty sticker.

I told them i had been able to power on my computer and had left to come back for a couple minutes, but came with a computer powered off unable to power back, i believe 650w is enough to power on my system, on pcpartpicker my computer takes an estimated 469w, not sure what that means, but all i know is RMA my psu.

I did testing and google how to reset a psu, i powered off my psu and unplugged left for an hour, plugged everything back without gpu, it powerd on, but a maybe a couple minutes it powerd off and couldn't power back on. Same thing as the first attempt, just without gpu. So im guessing faulty psu.

Thats all that happened and i know everything thing was plugged in correctly. What sucks is i also had a bad motherboard had to go RMA my motherboard, i did used another psu to make sure, it did not work with my cpu even though on box it says 5000 series ready, flash bios update correctly. I had tested just with the cpu installed no power, without cpu it had power. Very annoying for it took a month to get it sorted out, motherboard worked with my cpu, rgb on my gpu, left for a drink came back to another issue with my psu, got dam it! Dam online retailers. Its maybe gonna take 2 weeks to get mine back working again.

I will buy another psu rated for my gpu, and get my antec psu RMA and sell it on ebay or something.

Oh and on pcpartpicker my system is estimated to take up 469w, i thought that was nice!

650w, atleast what i think should totally handle it, maybe with some problems down the line.