what's the deal with RF headphones?

baronvonsatchel

The ones with a big antenna/charging base combo, I've seen them mostly marketed as home theater headphones, but I am interested in using them for gaming and music at home (I have in-ears for going out in public). How is the sound quality and latency compared to both Bluetooth (which isn't good enough for gaming) and wired (still the gold standard for quality, but I'm tied to my desk). In one of LTT's Intel extreme upgrades, one of the guys bought a pair but never reported on his experience afterward. And I've never encountered anyone else who uses them to ask.

Right now I'm using the Bluetooth version of the ATH-M50x, which I can plug in for high quality or use wireless for mobility, but not both at once. Are RF headphones the best of both worlds, or is my current setup as good as it gets?

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

Sound quality is just as good as Bluetooth, and they'll probably offer a latency improvement over your current Bluetooth headphones connected to your PC, but you'll probably still be able to detect latency if you're looking for it. It should be good enough for Minecraft or a movie, but if you're a hardcore rhythm gamer a wire is still the way to go.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I got a pair of these on black friday for my parent's, the biggest benefit in my case was the fact that listening to the same source on two headphones was very simple, just tune them in to the same frequency and voila, my mom could turn hers down and my dad could turn his up.  Also they don't isolate outside noise so they could still talk to each other.

Overall they seemed like a solution to a problem more than a hifi experience, being Sennheiser they still sound good but I have far better experiences available to me.  I'm uncertain about BT latency vs RF latency but @BobVonBob sounds like he knows.  However I'm not certain why you can't get quality sound out of BT.  I have a pair of AKG K361-BT and the sound quality is pretty good on them, a little towards the consumer sound signature but still good in my book.

IMO: you will have more options with BT than RF so the chances of finding something that sounds to your liking will be easier on BT

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

The thing with BT for me is more about latency. I don't have highly sensitive audiophile ears and I can't detect much difference in clarity between Bluetooth and wired. But Bluetooth is bad for gaming because even the best "low latency" modes have a 1/4 of a second delay.

Ultimately I don't think it's worth spending $200+ on a decent pair just to deal with the mild inconvenience of switching between wired and wireless for different use cases. I was just curious if anyone had any firsthand experience since they're vanishingly rare in the real world.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

1 hour ago, baronvonsatchel said:

The thing with BT for me is more about latency. I don't have highly sensitive audiophile ears and I can't detect much difference in clarity between Bluetooth and wired. But Bluetooth is bad for gaming because even the best "low latency" modes have a 1/4 of a second delay.

what bluetooth headphones are you using with that much delay? Latency is undetectable on my brand-name products 

The RF headphones you're describing are kind of a niche and unpopular product simply because of the base station requirement. They don't get much development in the modern age,

1 hour ago, ShearMe said:

what bluetooth headphones are you using with that much delay? Latency is undetectable on my brand-name products 

The RF headphones you're describing are kind of a niche and unpopular product simply because of the base station requirement. They don't get much development in the modern age,

A lot of PC Bluetooth solutions are very reluctant to use newer low latency codecs, if they even support them at all. I've got devices with basically imperceptible latency on my phone, but huge latency on my laptop.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

A lot of PC Bluetooth solutions are very reluctant to use newer low latency codecs, if they even support them at all. I've got devices with basically imperceptible latency on my phone, but huge latency on my laptop.

It's pretty easy to get a BT5 dongle that supports aptx-ll. I am using one currently. Works great, Not same as wired obviously, but it's almost imperceptible.