MSI B450M Mortar (non MAX) 3600 MHz RAM support with Ryzen 5 5600

Hello guys, I want to know if 3600 MHz (say, cl 18) RAM will support on MSI B450M Mortar (non MAX) motherboard if the CPU is Ryzen 5 5600/5600x (after installing the beta BIOS)

Officially the B450M Mortar (non MAX) supports RAM upto 3433 MHz (after OC or XMP) and B450M Mortar MAX supports upto 4133 MHz. But I've read in multiple places that the ability to run higher speed RAM mostly depends on the memory controller on the processor itself and the memory controllers for Ryzen 3000/5000 series are much better. So the 3433 MHz limit on B450 Mortar (non MAX) might be due to assuming a previous generation Ryzen processor was used as you need to install a beta BIOS to run a 5000 series processor on B450 Mortar (non MAX).

Anyone with personal experience of having a B450 Mortar/Tomahawk (non MAX) and 3600 MHz+ RAM would be very helpful.

Thanks.

It's always a gamble. But some lower end boards just won't run higher frequencies. They lack the bios support and training algorithms to do so. 

The difference from 3433 to 3600mhz is so small, you'd never really notice a difference without doing benchmarking (cpu and memory intensive). 

So if it says 3433mhz max supported, after that is your gamble. If it runs 3600mhz CL18, well then great! You're in luck! But don't bet your last dollar on it.

16 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

They lack the bios support and training algorithms to do so. 

Well my board doesn't have memory training at all and i managed to overclock the RAM to 3733MHz CL14 on a fricking Zen+ memory controller:

cachemem-3733 CL14.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, Vishera said:

Well my board doesn't have memory training at all and i managed to overclock the RAM to 3733MHz CL14 on a fricking Zen+ memory controller:

First, that's not the same board the OP was inquiring about.

2ndly, Zen+ wasn't too terrible on the right motherboard. 

(This is early testing with W7 on cpu-z version 1.90.xx)

image.gif.e67555f713abc99361d1f643e35e2e50.gif

image.png.57c6cf4420b98a7af131e8690912deb3.png

1 hour ago, Guest 5150 said:

It's always a gamble. But some lower end boards just won't run higher frequencies. They lack the bios support and training algorithms to do so. 

The difference from 3433 to 3600mhz is so small, you'd never really notice a difference without doing benchmarking (cpu and memory intensive). 

So if it says 3433mhz max supported, after that is your gamble. If it runs 3600mhz CL18, well then great! You're in luck! But don't bet your last dollar on it.

Thanks for your reply. Actually B450 Mortar/Tomahawk were considered very good boards at the time of release and had very good VRM especially at their price point. But I don't know about the training algorithm and such you mentioned. My main point is if B450 MAX boards can support higher frequency memory is there any intrinsic reason for their non-MAX counterparts to not support them? Was there any change made from B450 Mortar non-MAX to MAX hardware wise in terms of what frequency they could support?

I have the B450m Mortar Max and Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200CL16.  Could you not just try to flash the bios from a max onto it?  Don't want you to break anything mind.

I see what you are saying and apart from asking MSI, I don't know if there are any differences. 

3 hours ago, JKRsega said:

I have the B450m Mortar Max and Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200CL16.  Could you not just try to flash the bios from a max onto it?  Don't want you to break anything mind.

I see what you are saying and apart from asking MSI, I don't know if there are any differences. 

Thanks for your reply. But as far as I know, in general it's considered very risky to flash the BIOS from another model (even if they are very similar). I don't think I should try that route.

1 hour ago, Driimit said:

Thanks for your reply. But as far as I know, in general it's considered very risky to flash the BIOS from another model (even if they are very similar). I don't think I should try that route.

I don't think you should either. That was a very poor suggestion from that poster. I'd just get the 3600Mhz memory and run it as fast as you can, chances are it'll work ok at full speed.

51 minutes ago, heatonpkmassive said:

I don't think you should either. That was a very poor suggestion from that poster. I'd just get the 3600Mhz memory and run it as fast as you can, chances are it'll work ok at full speed.

I was thinking like it was a GPU and I agree, bad idea.  I'd of said no too, lol.

6 hours ago, Driimit said:

Thanks for your reply. Actually B450 Mortar/Tomahawk were considered very good boards at the time of release and had very good VRM especially at their price point. But I don't know about the training algorithm and such you mentioned. My main point is if B450 MAX boards can support higher frequency memory is there any intrinsic reason for their non-MAX counterparts to not support them? Was there any change made from B450 Mortar non-MAX to MAX hardware wise in terms of what frequency they could support?

I don't think there's any reason beyond a selling point. 

And these are 40-75$ mainboards. They have maybe mid ranged VRM set ups. 125a capability. So I don't know about calling it VERY good. Just OK maybe.

16 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

I don't think there's any reason beyond a selling point. 

And these are 40-75$ mainboards. They have maybe mid ranged VRM set ups. 125a capability. So I don't know about calling it VERY good. Just OK maybe.

I hope they're there for marketing purpose too. I decided to buy the 3600 MHz. If they fail to run at that speed, at least 3466 MHz should work as that's the officially supported OC speed of my board.

And regarding the VRM quality, they are actually quite good on these models. The price is comparatively low because they don't have the bells and whistles (like ARGB port etc) of other expensive models. I don't know you are aware of this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281

What a coincidence... I did just order 3600mhz CL18 RAM as well and I thought it would be supported on this same motherboard you got. I'll let you know what happens with mine when I get them.  🤣 

Well I do need more RAM anyway. It would've been a worse gamble to buy 2 random 8GB 3200Mhz sticks (I couldn't find exact same ram sticks anywhere new or 2nd hand) and hope they work together with the rest of the build. 

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB  &   WD Blue 1 TB SSD

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

2 hours ago, Zelenia said:

What a coincidence... I did just order 3600mhz CL18 RAM as well and I thought it would be supported on this same motherboard you got. I'll let you know what happens with mine when I get them.  🤣 

Well I do need more RAM anyway. It would've been a worse gamble to buy 2 random 8GB 3200Mhz sticks (I couldn't find exact same ram sticks anywhere new or 2nd hand) and hope they work together with the rest of the build. 

Nice. Please let me know your result and also what happens if you only install the new pair of RAMs (3600 MHz cl18) to your motherboard.

Thanks.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:16 PM, Driimit said:

Nice. Please let me know your result and also what happens if you only install the new pair of RAMs (3600 MHz cl18) to your motherboard.

Thanks.

Okay I got the new memory...I did notice that I got Mortar Max version so it's different to your after all. It's running 3600Mhz but I got only 1 slot out of 2 showing... I hope I didn't break anything. 😞 I try to re-seat the memory.

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

Got it working now... I didn't push the first stick deep enough. 🤣

Gaming PC

On 6/16/2022 at 3:12 PM, Zelenia said:

Okay I got the new memory...I did notice that I got Mortar Max version so it's different to your after all. It's running 3600Mhz but I got only 1 slot out of 2 showing... I hope I didn't break anything. 😞 I try to re-seat the memory.

Thanks for your reply. However I'm specifically looking for non MAX version experience from end-users as MAX versions officially support upto 4133 MHz (OC) speed.