CPU turboing at idle (answered)

Hey folks,

My CPU is constantly running at its boost speed of 4.2 Ghz instead of its base 3.8 Ghz even at idle. I don't want it to be doing this so then it doesnt have to be running as hot, less power consumption, etc.

I currently have a Ryzen 9 3900x that is running at base speeds on an Aorus X570 Elite. I just updated my bios to F37c and set my windows power power plan to balanced (windows 11 ver 10.0.22000 build 22000).

Any support would be greatly appreciated!

CPU speeds.png

CPUz.png

Well, we can clearly see that there are processes running from that screenshot, quite a few actually (226).

But you can also see that most of the cores are sleeping, and only a few ones are actually doing tasks, looks like 3 + hyperthreading.

Ryzen cpus are pretty well optimized, so I would just leave it like that. It turbos a few cores, so the rest of them can sleep, which makes for a lower power consumption over all, than if all the cores were up at base clock.  You can use ryzen master instead of task manager to really see how many cores are sleeping, and how much the rest are consuming.

And yes the few cores that are up will get a bit hot from turboing, but the other cores are ice cold (maybe not exactly), because they are turned off.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

This is pretty normal for AMD CPUs I'm pretty sure. I'm using a 5800X3D with a base clock of 3.7Ghz but it constantly runs 4.0~4.2Ghz. (it turbos all the time)

It's simply just CPUs now that can just keep itself running at a higher clockrate all the time

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Well, we can clearly see that there are processes running from that screenshot, quite a few actually (226).

But you can also see that most of the cores are sleeping, and only a few ones are actually doing tasks, looks like 3 + hyperthreading.

Ryzen cpus are pretty well optimized, so I would just leave it like that. It turbos a few cores, so the rest of them can sleep, which makes for a lower power consumption over all, than if all the cores were up at base clock.  You can use ryzen master instead of task manager to really see how many cores are sleeping, and how much the rest are consuming.

And yes the few cores that are up will get a bit hot from turboing, but the other cores are ice cold (maybe not exactly), because they are turned off.

Thanks! That does make sense, I guess I just needed someone to explain it to me. Much appreciated!