Pc in another room.

Azurium

Hey all. Just looking for a helping hand. I'm working on a project at home to out eatherney though the house but also have mine and my wife's pcs in a separate room. I dont have allot of money and know there are options that are quite expensive but I'm looking for peripherals to use a USB hub via ethernet. But for display I don't know what to do. My pc display is 1440 at 144hz so that's the most I need. What distances can you use DP at compared to HDMI not measured the route yet. But it may be between 10 to 20 meters. Just looking for what sort of cable would be best for this. 

59 minutes ago, Azurium said:

Hey all. Just looking for a helping hand. I'm working on a project at home to out eatherney though the house but also have mine and my wife's pcs in a separate room. I dont have allot of money and know there are options that are quite expensive but I'm looking for peripherals to use a USB hub via ethernet. But for display I don't know what to do. My pc display is 1440 at 144hz so that's the most I need. What distances can you use DP at compared to HDMI not measured the route yet. But it may be between 10 to 20 meters. Just looking for what sort of cable would be best for this. 

My memory is DP cables get really expensive when they get long.  I don’t know if you can do HDMI or not.  You CAN do optical USB and run the monitor that way, assuming your monitor even has USB input.  If not there may be an adaptor.   Got to assume around 60 feet with the numbers given.  Optical USB doesn’t carry power.  You’ll need some sort of power at the other end.  I’m wondering if a docking station for a laptop might be the solution for this one.  Docking station rather than port replicator because docking stations have to provide recharging power for the laptop so they will have an ac plug.  At that point it becomes trivial to power the USB too, and they tend to have DP or HDMI on them so you run USBC of the appropriate generation (you may or may not need to put a card in your machine to get it) to the docking station and then just hook up everything to the docking station like the computer is in the room.   Would depend on how a particular docking station is set up though.

my memory is this can be done with USBC but there is a limit to resolution and refresh rate so USBC may or may not work. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

considering your only running 2k you might get away with a good copper hdmi. but otherwise a optical hdmi will work just fine
have no clue on long dp cables

Thanks both for the replies. I've got some long HDMI cables. Never thought I could just test the cable. I'll give them a try. Thanks though.