AT&T Prepares 20Gbps Internet

Lurick
31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Tried their website.  They’ve got a cookie blocker up with no “go away” option so I can’t read their website.  But like you said, doesn’t matter

1. Install an Adblocker (I'm thinking of uBlock Origin but pick whichever one).
  2. Go to the website with the cookie prompt
  3. Right click on whatever is blocking me from seeing what I wanted to see
  4. Using the "Block element" menu item, make sure my Adblocker knows just what parts of the DOM it is
  5. No more cookie consent popup.

11 hours ago, sounds said:

I think you'll see soon that the fiber networks will stop having a separate strand for this 20gig service and start using slightly off-peak wavelengths to have a single fiber carry both the signals from the "legacy" XGSPON OLT and whatever is the new hot OLT headend equipment is. Since it's infrared light, it's normal to just call it a different color. I know. Two colors in the same strand, now you're playing with rainbow power. The jokes write themselves.

Doesn't mean AT&T will figure that out 🤫🤫🤫 since they're the early adopter. But ain't nobody got time to go and swap homes from one splitter to the other when it can be done with a single command on your router once this tech is more mainstream. It gets really cheap once all the datacenters are using it.

muxing exists.  problem is that ONT and OLT optical hardware isnt generally passively cwdm friendly.  going active end to end would be really expensive too.  putting a high count fiber in/splicing to fdh's is the standard.  and FDH's are very close to the end user so an extra 5 mins to do the job isnt much of a burden.   

that would be super cool tho.  providers would be all over that if it starts making sense. we are all about increasing cost efficiency.