PC Boot Issue (sort of?)

Xiauj

Hello all.

Recently I've been trying to get an old PC up and running to use as a secondary PC. For the hardware, I'm using mostly old parts but with a newly purchased PSU/CPU-Cooler and that's about it, the Motherboard/CPU/RAM/GPU are the same as before.

Now, the reason I've come here today hoping someone can help Me do some troubleshooting. TLDR: I can't get the PC to power on at all, whenever I try to power up the PC, it just like, takes control of itself... literally lol 😂, I've attached a video to show what I mean, hopefully someone can help Me out because I don't know what to try doing at this stage. 

At first I thought it could be something related to the PSU because of the noise but in all fairness, I can't tell where the noise is coming from, it's a bit hard to tell. Anyway, I RMA'd the PSU and the seller/store/retailer had tested it and said it works perfectly fine when tested with newer components and under load and/or stress-tested, so after hearing that and (re)receiving My PSU in the mail, I then thought maybe I've put the wrong cables in the wrong connectors on the back of the PSU, I tried swapping some around for about 30 to 50 minutes but still got the same result, I've tried reconnecting all the cables on the motherboard-headers too and yet I still get the same result.

Part of Me thinks it might be a motherboard issue or a CPU issue but as I said before, I don't know what to try doing in order to fix this issue. Can anyone help out? 😄 Thanks!

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

22 hours ago, Xiauj said:

PC-Boot-Issue-Clip.mov

unplug everything just leave 24pin connected , see what it does

5 hours ago, Savage2k said:

unplug everything just leave 24pin connected , see what it does

Ok so, I've just tested what You said to do above, it does the exact same thing but the only difference being is that, it does it a bit slower; the green flashing light + flashing LED on the fan still occur and the fan still does that 3 tick thing at the end when the switch on the PSU is turned off.

Any suggestions on what to do/try next?

i would suggest to remove motherboard from the case , remove front connectors pwr button and reset button try to turn on without rams , if it does the same then try to start your psu separately totally unplugged from motherboard for this you will need to short green (ps on) and black (ground) 

atx-24-pin-12v-power-supply-pinout-2624578-bd809482596447b7afa7c63232719560.webp

3 minutes ago, Savage2k said:

i would suggest to remove motherboard from the case , remove front connectors pwr button and reset button try to turn on without rams , if it does the same then try to start your psu separately totally unplugged from motherboard for this you will need to short green (ps on) and black (ground) 

atx-24-pin-12v-power-supply-pinout-2624578-bd809482596447b7afa7c63232719560.webp

After You posted that comment just now, I just tried booting with only the 24-pin connected, no front panel headers, no CPU Cooler, no RAM... and it still does the same thing as described below ⤵️:

41 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Ok so, I've just tested what You said to do above, it does the exact same thing but the only difference being is that, it does it a bit slower; the green flashing light + flashing LED on the fan still occur and the fan still does that 3 tick thing at the end when the switch on the PSU is turned off.

4 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

if it does the same then try to start your psu separately totally unplugged from motherboard for this you will need to short green (ps on) and black (ground) 

first try this to make sure that your psu somehow working , then you can remove motherboard from case (maybe some rails are shorted) if not helps connect some fan to cpu header and try to turn on without cpu and ram installed , simply just start barebone motherboard , just connect one fan  so you can see what does motherboard do

17 hours ago, Savage2k said:

first try this to make sure that your psu somehow working , then you can remove motherboard from case (maybe some rails are shorted) if not helps connect some fan to cpu header and try to turn on without cpu and ram installed , simply just start barebone motherboard , just connect one fan  so you can see what does motherboard do

Hey 🙂 Ok so earlier today I had removed the CPU-Cooler/CPU/RAM/GPU/Front-Panel-Header-Cables aka pretty much everything lol except for the 24 pin connector and one of the case fans connected to the CPU_FAN Header (Where the CPU Cooler cable was before when mounted on the CPU / in the case etc..) and unfortunately it still gives Me the same result (See below) ⤵️:

18 hours ago, Xiauj said:

After having done that ^ what I wrote above, I noticed that the sort of, ticking noise was still there, I put My ear next to the Power Supply and it 100% sounds like it's coming from there. I phoned the retailer and had explained the entire situation and now I have to send it back to them... for the second time, they told Me they are going to inspect/test it (Even though they will claim "it's working fine" or whatever) and potentially give Me a refund or send Me back the power supply for a third time, lol 😂

Before I phoned them, I found one of My old PC's with some old OEM Power Supply (Yes, with loads of bundled ketchup and mustard cables xD) that I think still works given how old it is, probably a decade or two old, anyway, I tested that with the motherboard 20+4 cable that it had, the motherboard to Me looked like it was receiving power when I flicked the power switch because the green light wasn't flashing but instead, it was lit up the entire time and hey guess what, I didn't get a post/boot. I then inserted the CPU/GPU/RAM (Including the needed cables, obviously) and it still didn't post/boot so I think it's a motherboard issue, a power delivery issue or something completely different, I really don't know.

Thoughts? Haha lol

Note: I didn't try doing the PSU thing that You recommended because, I'm not gonna lie but I feel a bit nervous about doing it and because I've never done it before so.. yeah.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:06 PM, Savage2k said:

-image-

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

motherboard issue

can you please write your specs ? cpu mobo ram vga, and did you try to boot without gpu on igpu if your cpu has one

about turning on psu, there is nothing to worry about it's EZ to do that 

here is a video how yo do that for future if you will need  

Edited by Savage2k

17 hours ago, Savage2k said:

can you please write your specs ? cpu mobo ram vga, and did you try to boot without gpu on igpu if your cpu has one

about turning on psu, there is nothing to worry about it's EZ to do that 

here is a video how yo do that for future if you will need 

Like I said in the OP, it's a mixture of old and new parts but yeah sure, here's the parts list:

Old/Original Parts:

AMD FX 8350 CPU

Asus M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 mATX AM3+ Motherboard

Samsung Dual DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB) (I know I know... Samsung RAM. Lol 😂)

PNY GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Graphics Card

Newly purchased parts (Except for the PSU which I sent back to the retailer/store earlier today (08/06/2022)):

MSI MPG A750GF 750W 80 Plus Gold Certified / Fully Modular Power Supply (Note: I know this is a bit overkill probably for an AM3+ Platform but it was discounted at the time 😅)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler (....which was also discounted hence why I picked it!)

Also in reply to that PSU Comment/Video You spoke about, it's too late I'm afraid, I had the courier come and collect the PSU earlier today so now it's in transit / en-route to the retailer/store for the second time xD

Update: The retailer did exactly what I thought they were gonna do, tell Me it's working perfectly fine for a second time, then send it back to Me for a second time... I guess it must be the motherboard after all 😕 Oh well, time to buy some new parts.

But still... how predictable. Retailers these days...

🙄 *sighs*