Dying GPU?

SypherRS

Hello!

Recently my poor laptop has been going through all sorts of trouble. My battery is dead so it's now only power from the wall and now this:

PXL_20220602_163431607.thumb.jpg.be60b33703cc1833423f860b26b78163.jpg

When this happens the laptop is completely unresponsive until rebooted. Then works fine until it randomly decides to do this again. Please tell me it's just some driver mismatch or something, I really can't afford to build a new PC right now... Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I should add, the GPU is a 1060 6g and the temps seem fine considering it's a laptop. They usually don't go too far over 80 under stress. Also the EventViewer offers no help at all only telling me the PC restarted unexpectedly.

Thanks

Edited by SypherRS

Laptop:

ROG Strix Scar II 15,6"

CPU: Core i7-8750H 6c/12t GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6G RAM: 32GB 2666 MHz Display: 144Hz 3ms OS: Windows 11 Home

Dedicated Minecraft an Backup Home Server: [No longer with us 😪]

CPU: Core i5-2500K 4c/4t GPU: Asus GTX 550Ti RAM: 8GB 1333MHz HDD: 1TB Seagate Firecuda, 3TB WD RED OS: Windows Server 2019

1 minute ago, SypherRS said:

When this happens the laptop is completely unresponsive until rebooted. Then works fine until it randomly decides to do this again. Please tell me it's just some driver mismatch or something

You could try that first, honestly. But from how it look it could genuinely be a hardware problem rather than software, try to boot into safe mode and see if it immediately borked itself. Also, check for dust and if the fan even spin.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryClaire said:

You could try that first, honestly. But from how it look it could genuinely be a hardware problem rather than software, try to boot into safe mode and see if it immediately borked itself. Also, check for dust and if the fan even spin.

First thing I did was thoroughly cleaning the whole thing and repasting it while I was in there... No help. Also the fans spin fine... They're loud and they move a lot of air as they should, no problem there

I'll try the safe mode and see, but it's super random so I don't have any guarantee it will happen within a reasonable timeframe

Laptop:

ROG Strix Scar II 15,6"

CPU: Core i7-8750H 6c/12t GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6G RAM: 32GB 2666 MHz Display: 144Hz 3ms OS: Windows 11 Home

CPU: Core i5-2500K 4c/4t GPU: Asus GTX 550Ti RAM: 8GB 1333MHz HDD: 1TB Seagate Firecuda, 3TB WD RED OS: Windows Server 2019

21 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

20+ minutes and nothing to report honestly no clue what could be causing this

Laptop:

ROG Strix Scar II 15,6"

First obvious thing i would do is reinstall the drivers then see if the video problems persist.

Does your laptop have any integrated GPU? Or just the dedicated 1060?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x | Motherboard -  MSI B550-A PRO | RAM 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 8GB, DDR4, 3600MHz | Graphics Card -ASUS STRIX 1060 6 GB| Power Supply - Corsair RM650x  | Case - Corsair Carbide Series 275R