CPU fan speed settings?

Hi everyone,

So recently I upgraded my cpu (to: i5-12400) and some other parts.

I am using stock cooler and just noticing some high temps.

So it got me thinking... Can i increase the fan speed of the cooler?

If yes, how?

What are the disadvantages?

When i want to modify the CPU fan speed i use the BIOS control, go into that and see if you can find anything related to that, the BIOS menu differs from motherboard to motherboard so i can't really tell you where to find it.

The disadvantages could be the fan being louder and probably more power draw.

Edited by LennyD

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x | Motherboard -  MSI B550-A PRO | RAM 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 8GB, DDR4, 3600MHz | Graphics Card -ASUS STRIX 1060 6 GB| Power Supply - Corsair RM650x  | Case - Corsair Carbide Series 275R

You can do it in BIOS, open the manual that came with your motherboard and search for how to set different fancurves in your BIOS.

Disadvantages are really only noise, it will be as loud as a leafblower.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

35 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You can do it in BIOS, open the manual that came with your motherboard and search for how to set different fancurves in your BIOS.

Disadvantages are really only noise, it will be as loud as a leafblower.

If it keeps the temps low which I think will increase processor's overall life... And noise is not the issue... Thats a good thing, right?

38 minutes ago, LennyD said:

When i want to modify the CPU fan speed i use the BIOS control, go into that and see if you can find anything related to that, the BIOS menu differs from motherboard to motherboard so i can't really tell you where to find it.

The disadvantages could be the fan being louder and probably more power draw.

Cpu will draw more power? Or the fan? I mean fan is directly connected to motherboard, right?

My mobo is b660 gigabyte. I think there is desktop based software as well which lets you control fan speed.

It was installed automatically with gigabyte installation center... Just havent touched it yet....

13 minutes ago, Tom80765412 said:

If it keeps the temps low which I think will increase processor's overall life... And noise is not the issue... Thats a good thing, right?

Yeah, that is why the only disadvantage I wrote about was that it will be a leafblower. 

But depends on the "high temps" you are talking about. If your cpu is currently at let's say 85C, and you turn your fan into a leafblower, it won't improve the "overall life" by a single percent, in which case I would gladly take the "high" temps over noise, because they are completely fine for the cpu, even if to you as a human they would seem high.

If you are talking about 90+C temps, only then I would consider running the fan at max.

11 minutes ago, Tom80765412 said:

Cpu will draw more power? Or the fan? I mean fan is directly connected to motherboard, right?

My mobo is b660 gigabyte. I think there is desktop based software as well which lets you control fan speed.

It was installed automatically with gigabyte installation center... Just havent touched it yet....

Don't do it!!! Never use a crappy gigabyte app to do anything that you can do it in bios itself. Deinstall the bloatware, and man up and go to bios and change the settings there. The included windows apps are pretty crappy, and can cause all sorts of problems. If you want a solution that keeps on working, just set the settings in BIOS please. The gigabyte software bricked my whole windows install one time, had to reinstall from scratch.

6 minutes ago, Tom80765412 said:

The fan but now that i think of it, it would not be that much of a problem. Just like Origami Cactus said, the sound would be the major problem. Try and change the RPM in the BIOS menu, it's the most dependable fix, beats any software.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x | Motherboard -  MSI B550-A PRO | RAM 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 8GB, DDR4, 3600MHz | Graphics Card -ASUS STRIX 1060 6 GB| Power Supply - Corsair RM650x  | Case - Corsair Carbide Series 275R

yes, and fan settings are in bios.

19 hours ago, Tom80765412 said:

I am using stock cooler and just noticing some high temps.

and what sort of high temps? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer