MT-602 connectors

Go to solution Solved by nootnoot1277,

It's occured to me the MT602 is only an amp not a amp/dac so I'm now looking elsewhere.

Before i start let me just say i've been building and using systems for years and have built up quite a knowledge of hardware from  LGA 775 to now so i'm not an idiot... But when it comes to audio Ive got no clue mate.
So based off my research and limited budget plus whats on drop right now i've settled for getting an MT-602 since it seem so fit what i want in terms of powering a pair of DT990's. I'm not an audiophile so i'm not going for the absolute best or whatever, for context i LOVED the sound of my Razer Kraken Kitty editions till they died so take that how you will.
Now my only issue is awkward because it sounds dumb but, how exactly does the MT-602 connect to a PC? it has RCA input which as far as i can tell is the only input but my system being ITX doesn't have a sound card or anything that outputs RCA so am i supposed to use an adapter cable or is there a device that goes between my pc and the MT-602? i've no clue haha.
(it'll be connected to a B450i Strix)

32 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Before i start let me just say i've been building and using systems for years and have built up quite a knowledge of hardware from  LGA 775 to now so i'm not an idiot... But when it comes to audio Ive got no clue mate.
So based off my research and limited budget plus whats on drop right now i've settled for getting an MT-602 since it seem so fit what i want in terms of powering a pair of DT990's. I'm not an audiophile so i'm not going for the absolute best or whatever, for context i LOVED the sound of my Razer Kraken Kitty editions till they died so take that how you will.
Now my only issue is awkward because it sounds dumb but, how exactly does the MT-602 connect to a PC? it has RCA input which as far as i can tell is the only input but my system being ITX doesn't have a sound card or anything that outputs RCA so am i supposed to use an adapter cable or is there a device that goes between my pc and the MT-602? i've no clue haha.
(it'll be connected to a B450i Strix)

Rca is a two wire system (one wire runs through the center and the other is a tube so it’s sort of like coax) so right and left make 4 wires. What sort of system does your motherboard have for audio out?  There should be two (or more) rca jacks, one red and one white R is for red so it’s usually the right channel I think. Stuff should be marked.  There should be patch cables that are easy to find and use, though it would be helpful to know what kind of motherboard audio out you have.  Usually it’s two 3.5mm jacks or a mess of them depending on whether the motherboard splits the stuff for surround sound or not.  There is also spdif which is a fiber type system that always does just stereo with no split out surround. I Looked up mt602 and I’m seeing an xduoo mt602 that is a 2 tube headphone amp or something a DAC perhaps?  Not sure. Looks like audio gear so it’s going to have rca in stereo 3.5mm is tip, ring for two wires (though there can be up to 5 tubes for combo stuff) each will be split with a plastic insulator.  Usually black or white. (Though I’ve seen red. There isn’t really a standard) 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Rca is a two wire system (one wire runs through the center and the other is a tube so it’s sort of like coax) so right and left make 4 wires. What sort of system does your motherboard have for audio out?  There should be two (or more) rca jacks, one red and one white R is for red so it’s usually the right channel I think. Stuff should be marked.  There should be patch cables that are easy to find and use, though it would be helpful to know what kind of motherboard audio out you have.  Usually it’s two 3.5mm jacks or a mess of them depending on whether the motherboard splits the stuff for surround sound or not.  There is also spdif which is a fiber type system that always does just stereo with no split out surround. I Looked up mt602 and I’m seeing an xduoo mt602 that is a 2 tube headphone amp or something a DAC perhaps?  Not sure. Looks like audio gear so it’s going to have rca in stereo 3.5mm is tip, ring for two wires (though there can be up to 5 tubes for combo stuff) each will be split with a plastic insulator.  Usually black or white. (Though I’ve seen red. There isn’t really a standard) 

B450i Strix and its a 3 jack audio output presumably due to being ITX so i only have the standard Red Green Blue jack outputs at the back. The MT602 is just an AMP as far as im aware.

7 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

B450i Strix and its a 3 jack audio output presumably due to being ITX so i only have the standard Red Green Blue jack outputs at the back. The MT602 is just an AMP as far as im aware.

One of those will likely be microphone and in not out.  The other two are right and left channel most likely and will be 2 wire tip/ring so a standard mini3.5mm to rca cable should in theory do it.  Or a pair of them rather but they’re often set up as effectively one cable because they’re almost always used in pairs.

red/blue/green is a weird choice because it makes them look like video not audio

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

One of those will likely be microphone and in not out.  The other two are right and left channel most likely and will be 2 wire tip/ring so a standard mini3.5mm to rca cable should in theory do it.  Or a pair of them rather but they’re often set up as effectively one cable because they’re almost always used in pairs.

red/blue/green is a weird choice because it makes them look like video not audio

They are listed in ASUS's software as
Blue - Line In
Green - Speaker Out
Pink  - Mic in
They're not left and right.
I'll probably just have to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter which i had originally planned on doing if there wasn't going to be a quality hit from doing so.

It's occured to me the MT602 is only an amp not a amp/dac so I'm now looking elsewhere.

5 hours ago, nootnoot1277 said:

They are listed in ASUS's software as
Blue - Line In
Green - Speaker Out
Pink  - Mic in
They're not left and right.
I'll probably just have to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter which i had originally planned on doing if there wasn't going to be a quality hit from doing so.

Does line in too huh?  I suppose that makes sense.  Everything is a stereo 3.5mm jack I suspect.  Ok, the green one is where the sound comes out of then, it’s probably has 4 contacts in it which means you’ll need cable with a stereo 3.5mm jack on one end and two rca jacks on the other.  They used to be really really common.  I’m sure someone still makes one.  Should be cheap.  

1 hour ago, nootnoot1277 said:

You could still use it I think.  You’d just be using the internal DAC of the computer.  Kinda perhaps ruins the point of going to the trouble of using twin tubes though.  Those things are single transistors and they eventually burn out.  There’s a reason besides size they’re not used much anymore.  I’ve heard a tube amp like that produces a “warmer” sound.  Something that was balanced for in older music.  I can’t tell the difference myself.