confused on compatibility

vicente c

So my friend has a Evga BQ 500 psu and I have a G5 650 psu in my posession. My friend has a GPU he wants to plug in but his power supply did not come with a VGA cable. I have a spare vga cable that I would definitely give to him, however, when I try to do research on compatibility, I get mixed results. The pinouts seem to match but that's my only clue so far. Thanks for the advice in advance.

35 minutes ago, vicente c said:

So my friend has a Evga BQ 500 psu and I have a G5 650 psu in my posession. My friend has a GPU he wants to plug in but his power supply did not come with a VGA cable. I have a spare vga cable that I would definitely give to him, however, when I try to do research on compatibility, I get mixed results. The pinouts seem to match but that's my only clue so far. Thanks for the advice in advance.

I wouldn’t trust it myself.  
In general PSUs are single atx modules including the cables (as there didn’t used to be such a thing as modular cables) the result is the cables are engineered with shielding and wire thickness and stuff for that one model of PSU.  You might get lucky and the thing works.  You might get unlucky and the thing works but gets hot and melts which starts a fire and causes all kinds of other problems.  Also if you want to resell the PSU NEVER toss any of the cables.  They’re part of the device and can be difficult or impossible to replace.  If you’re having trouble saying no then show him this post.  It’s two kinds of bad idea.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I wouldn’t trust it myself.  
In general PSUs are single atx modules including the cables (as there didn’t used to be such a thing as modular cables) the result is the cables are engineered with shielding and wire thickness and stuff for that one model of PSU.  You might get lucky and the thing works.  You might get unlucky and the thing works but gets hot and melts which starts a fire and causes all kinds of other problems.  Also if you want to resell the PSU NEVER toss any of the cables.  They’re part of the device and can be difficult or impossible to replace.  If you’re having trouble saying no then show him this post.  It’s two kinds of bad idea.

Noted. Thank you!

3 hours ago, vicente c said:

BQ and G5 cables are not compatible.