Difference between ETC and AIO?

An0maly_76

With all of AMD's hoopla about the AM5 reaching 5.5 GHz (PSSSHHH... Some are getting that from pre-AM4 stuff), I was seriously thinking about doing some kind of experimental refrigerant-based cooling system to see what my 5900X could do if kept in the 30s under full load. Then I was enlightened to Sub-Zero ETC, which I don't recall hearing of before. If it's what I think, I like the idea, but can't find one for an AM4, only Intel. So what exactly is ETC? Does it simply use refrigerant to chill liquid for cooling, similar to industrial / commercial chillers, or are they a refrigerant-based cooler like I'm thinking?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Wtf is ETC? If its a tec cooler then no those are trash

Have a look at warp9 forums for info on this kind of stuff since those overclocking folk do know a thing or 2 regarding chiller systems

heres my thread there, recently talking about chillers so youll find that info on page 9 and 10

Chillers can be dailyed but the high power consumption is quite the drawback

Giving it a quick Google, nothing shows up for ETC cooling. I'm assuming you meant "TEC" cooling and either had autocorrect screw you or are dyslexic (same). If I'm wrong, can you link the product you're referring to, but I'm assuming you're talking about the cooler master ML360 SUB-Zero

Anyway, TEC coolers are basically a small plate where one side is well below zero and the other side is hot AF. They're really good at dealing with small heat loads, but can be easily overwhelmed and they draw a ton of power to work. That cooler has a lot of engineering behind it to get it to not be overwhelmed, and it was sponsored by Intel which is the reason why it only comes with Intel mounting hardware. They aren't refrigeration based, they use some weird properties of electricity to move heat from one side to the other in very small applications. 

If you want to actually do subzero on a system, you want to actually build a water cooled chiller. Go on Craigslist, buy an old Window AC unit for cheap, and salvage the guts to make a chiller. Run antifreeze through a CPU block with the cold side of the AC unit in the reservoir for the CPU block (make sure to have fluid circulating in the chiller, and it's probably a good idea to put a filter on the inlet for the CPU block to prevent it from getting clogged if the AC was used). 

Yes, I meant TEC. I can't type for sh*t because of autism-related motor skill issues... 😛

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you want to actually do subzero on a system, you want to actually build a water cooled chiller. Go on Craigslist, buy an old Window AC unit for cheap, and salvage the guts to make a chiller. Run antifreeze through a CPU block with the cold side of the AC unit in the reservoir for the CPU block (make sure to have fluid circulating in the chiller, and it's probably a good idea to put a filter on the inlet for the CPU block to prevent it from getting clogged if the AC was used). 

And this is sort of what I had in mind. Thanks. Would it be worth it, do you think?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, An0maly_76 said:

Yes, I meant TEC. I can't type for sh*t because of autism-related motor skill issues... 😛

And this is sort of what I had in mind. Thanks. Would it be worth it, do you think?

Depends on the pricing of it. If you're good enough at deal hunting, you should be able to get something like this working for around the $100-200 range, or quite a bit less if you have an old AC unit sitting in your garage (say with a bad fan on it yet you never bothered to throw it out). Just for fun, sure why not, I'm planning on building one over the weekend (the fan in my AC unit died, don't feel like selling it, and I've got enough 120mm fans to keep it cool) and taking a couple of my old boards cold to overclock for fun. For AM4 though, it generally doesn't clock that high even under subzero cooling (the highest you'll really see an AM4 CPU run in benchmarks on LN2 is 6GHz, not that far above the 5GHz that most AM4 CPUs hit single core). Since a chiller will get you to about -20C, you're not gonna be getting much above 5GHz all core. Still, it might be fun to just have laying around, especially if you get your hands on some old Intel gear to try overclocking for fun. 

8 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

If you are benching then sure itd be worth  it but for daily absolutely not other than flexing your near 6ghz cpu at subzero temps

For me i think ill go for a 60w ish fridge or something to subzero both my rams and nb for dailying, but thats just because im an oc nut that likes to oc the balls off my stuff

Maybe at sub zero my team rams can do 1600+ considering they seem to only scale from temp

Basically you want something like this. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-roboclocker-ln2-aio-cooler,37230.html

Soon (tm)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder