Xfinity Issues

Charn_Cara

Ok hive mind,

So I'm having an issue with my wifi. I moved to a new apartment and Xfinity was the only service provider in my area that offered higher than gig speeds (mostly needed for better upload speeds). I signed up for the xFi router because it included Tri-band, and no data cap. Moving budget made it a better option than buying a modem and router. The issue that I'm running into now though is that my Wifi speeds are abysmal. I had a tech come out and re-terminate all of my coax going to the apartment, and he gave me a direct connection to service line instead of sharing with the other apartments. He verified that I am getting over 1200Mbps at the line going into my modem. However, I am having a hard time getting any substantial wifi speeds like I was before (with a much slower 300Mbps package) at my old apartment in a different state. I am able to get around 280-310Mbps if I am in my bedroom within 5ft of my router, but I am only getting about 180Mbps on my phone if I am in my living room; about 30ft from my router that is in my bedroom (the tech claimed he could not move my line to my living room where I wanted it- which I call BS on). On my desktop in the living room I can get about 400Mbps, but frequently my signal on any of my devices drops to 10-30Mbps. Is this because of the xFi? Is it due to having to go through drywall, or signal management issues on the part of the xFi?
Anyone know if I switch to my own modem and router (which I'd be fine with once I recoupe from moving costs) would I be able to still use my wireless TV box from Xfinity? ...Same issue, the line for the cable is in the bedroom and "can't be moved" to the living room to use with the cable box. I am working on a wired solution to use with my server anyway (running lines along my ceiling with low profile Cat6) but I still want to have good wifi for my phone and laptop and some smart devices I use. I can attach some pictures if that would help.

11 minutes ago, Charn_Cara said:

Anyone know if I switch to my own modem and router (which I'd be fine with once I recoupe from moving costs) would I be able to still use my wireless TV box from Xfinity?

since that is ISP I am pretty sure it would work since I am pretty sure its streaming but I don't fully really know.

Maybe a wireless extender might work?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

16 minutes ago, Charn_Cara said:

So I'm having an issue with my wifi. I moved to a new apartment

They keyword there is Apartment. The WiFi spectrum only has so much space, when you have shit loads of WiFi AP's talking at once, you will have issues. You best bet would be using a WiIF analyzer app and see how the spectrum looks. In some cases making sure you're using 5Ghz can help, but Id assume that even the 5Ghz spectrum is congested. 

17 minutes ago, Charn_Cara said:

if I switch to my own modem and router (which I'd be fine with once I recoupe from moving costs) would I be able to still use my wireless TV box from Xfinity?

Im not familiar with their wireless TV boxes, but I do want to tell you that the XFI gateway with unlimited data is $25 a month or so, but doing unlimited data with your own modem and router will be $30 a month. They penalize you for using your own equipment. Just so you are aware. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Im not familiar with their wireless TV boxes, but I do want to tell you that the XFI gateway with unlimited data is $25 a month or so, but doing unlimited data with your own modem and router will be $30 a month. They penalize you for using your own equipment. Just so you are aware. 

Thanks, I was aware of this.

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They keyword there is Apartment. The WiFi spectrum only has so much space, when you have shit loads of WiFi AP's talking at once, you will have issues. You best bet would be using a WiIF analyzer app and see how the spectrum looks. In some cases making sure you're using 5Ghz can help, but Id assume that even the 5Ghz spectrum is congested.  

I think analyzing the spectrum would be a good idea - the one issue I am running into with the xFi that I don't like is that I can't separate out the bands to select what I want my devices to use. It has Tri-band but it is all automatically set internally. Xfinity's management tools are too basic for people that actually know things about IT and computers. lol

2 minutes ago, Charn_Cara said:

I think analyzing the spectrum would be a good idea - the one issue I am running into with the xFi that I don't like is that I can't separate out the bands to select what I want my devices to use. It has Tri-band but it is all automatically set internally. Xfinity's management tools are too basic for people that actually know things about IT and computers. lol

Haven't used their equipment since the rental fee was like $10 a month. From what my friend said, half the options are accessed thru the web browser and the other half are accessed thru the app they have. 

51 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Haven't used their equipment since the rental fee was like $10 a month. From what my friend said, half the options are accessed thru the web browser and the other half are accessed thru the app they have. 

If the interface is anything like the FIOS quantum gateway, is pretty non-user friendly and needlessly obtuse to use, but there should be a menu inside of a submenu that has something to do with which bands to use. For the mapping/analyzing: wifiman (a freemium ubiquiti product, only need to pay for the premium if you have lots of ubiquiti gear you want to sync together) works really well at the WiFi analyzing and mapping.

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

If the interface is anything like the FIOS quantum gateway, is pretty non-user friendly and needlessly obtuse to use, but there should be a menu inside of a submenu that has something to do with which bands to use. For the mapping/analyzing: wifiman (a freemium ubiquiti product, only need to pay for the premium if you have lots of ubiquiti gear you want to sync together) works really well at the WiFi analyzing and mapping.

Like I said in that post. Half the settings are in the web interface and the other half can only be accessed thru their app. Honestly Comcast is know for locking some settings down. They consider their users dumb so I wouldn't be surprised if they dont allow you to choose a channel.