Crashing when launching games and watching youtube

benjamin3033
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
On 5/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, benjamin3033 said:

No overclocks, GPU is idling at 42c

So not a hot case or OC issue. 

49 minutes ago, benjamin3033 said:

Now my screen is completely covered in green dots

That sounds to me like artifacting which is usually a dying video card, you are apparently running newest drivers which is the next most common thing.  How new is the card?  If it’s in warranty period the cheapest thing to do is have the manufacturer look it over.  Takes time though.

Randomly last night I was playing Sea of thieves with no issues and the whole computer suddenly froze, screens when black and eventually restarted itself. When I tried relaunching the game it said "Video driver crashed and was reset ! make sure your video drivers are up to date , exiting...". I also tried launching Apex Legends which wouldn't load into the lobby before crashing. Watching a YouTube video causes it to crash after a minute.

Windows 11 64bit

AMD 2700x

MSI X470 GAMING PLUS

Silverstone Strider Gold ST65F-G Strider Gold 650W

GTX 1080 Ti

Stuff I tried:

Uninstall nvidia drivers

Install latest nvidia drivers

System File Checker

Had the computer for about 4 years now. The GPU was used already for a year

Edited by benjamin3033

Win11 yuck I’m not going to know where anything is.  It’s developing a nasty rep too.  Might just be win11.  You got any overclocks on?  What are your temps like?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 5/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, benjamin3033 said:

No overclocks, GPU is idling at 42c

So not a hot case or OC issue. 

49 minutes ago, benjamin3033 said:

That sounds to me like artifacting which is usually a dying video card, you are apparently running newest drivers which is the next most common thing.  How new is the card?  If it’s in warranty period the cheapest thing to do is have the manufacturer look it over.  Takes time though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, benjamin3033 said:

That screams faulty GPU. 

To test it either go buy a new one plug it in test it and if you still have green dots send the new one back. 

No money at hand? Bake your GPU. Yes you red that right bake it. Go and find a tutorial how to. Might give you another month or two

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

I had almost the same issue with nvidia new drivers, i unistalled completly nvidia drivers and then installed 511.79 Driver restart my pc and everything was good again