Does every ready to go RAID solution suck?

DCWalt
Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
1 hour ago, DCWalt said:

redundancy. its sensitive data

You want a back up, not redundancy. Redundancy is about uptime, backups are about keeping data safe. Use two drives, sync them after a job or a set interval.

I need a simple, external raid DAS for video/phot editing and music production. I need it to be small and portable so I'm ok with just a two drive raid. There are products out there like the Oyen Digital MiniPro Dura, LaCie Rugged Raid Shuttle but both have a LOT of complaints about them being difficult to set up and just outright failing after a short time. Going to less portable solutions like the LaCie 2big Dock and the WD My Book Duo, the story sounds about the same. Unreliable.

Am i just supposed to buy one and pray?

1 minute ago, DCWalt said:

I need a simple, external raid DAS for video/phot editing and music production. I need it to be small and portable so I'm ok with just a two drive raid. There are products out there like the Oyen Digital MiniPro Dura, LaCie Rugged Raid Shuttle but both have a LOT of complaints about them being difficult to set up and just outright failing after a short time. Going to less portable solutions like the LaCie 2big Dock and the WD My Book Duo, the story sounds about the same. Unreliable.

Synology is regarded as generally a very solid option. Get a 2 bay synology. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, DCWalt said:

Why do you need it to be RAID? If you need it to be portable, why not just a single big drive?

On 5/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, Blue4130 said:

Why do you need it to be RAID? If you need it to be portable, why not just a single big drive?

1 hour ago, DCWalt said:

You want a back up, not redundancy. Redundancy is about uptime, backups are about keeping data safe. Use two drives, sync them after a job or a set interval.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, Blue4130 said:

you realize you can have both right?

3 hours ago, DCWalt said:

you realize you can have both right?

Sure, but when you add portability to the mix, you are asking for disaster. Harddrives are not good at being portable. Now add multiple harddrives together in a box and you get a recipe for the worst to happen.

What I would do, get a box like a synology (or diy) for at home/office. Use a single drive (or better yet, an SSD) for on location. Back up important projects to a service like backblaze.

If you are dead set on a single device, don't go harddrive based. It will fail.Use something like a qnap TBS-453DX, it's flash based so get around harddrives biggest issue.