CPU Core Voltage on Ryzen 7 5800x

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
7 minutes ago, Agamer321321 said:

Is the voltage high just because it's focusing on few cores instead of all?

Yes

• Are the voltages I'm seeing safe? Will it effect it's lifespan?

They're what AMD rates their CPUs at, so it should be fine. If you want to undervolt you can. 

8 minutes ago, Agamer321321 said:
  • should I offset voltage and if yes by how much?

Depends on your specific chip, though -50mV should be stable on basically every CPU, and -100mV should be fine on a lot of CPUs IIRC. 

9 minutes ago, Agamer321321 said:
  • What temp should the CPU not exceed for a long lifespan?

Don't really worry about temps per say, monitor clock speed instead. Thanks to the way PBO works, it keeps the CPU between ~75-85C at all times, adjusting the frequency and voltage to keep it in that range under load. It'll downclock itself pretty drastically before it gets to a temperature that's unsafe for it. 

If you want a strict number, 95C, though odds of getting up there are pretty slim. 

I've recently picked up a Ryzen 7 5800x as it was sale and upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600. The motherboard being used is an MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX and cooler is Deepcool Gammax GTE V2. Since I have received it I have noticed voltages going up 1.480v in some instances. I have set the PPT to 105w in the bios to keep temps around 70°. Below is listed voltages at certain points:

• Idle - Peak Core(s) Voltage:1.15 | Average Core Voltage: 0.7
  • Single Core Cinebench r23 - Peak Core(s) Voltage:1.47 | Average Core Voltage: 0.9
  • Multi Core Cinebench r23 - Peak Core(s) Voltage:1.25 | Average Core Voltage: 1.25

My Questions:

• Is the voltage high just because it's focusing on few cores instead of all?

Thank you for any help.

Yes

They're what AMD rates their CPUs at, so it should be fine. If you want to undervolt you can. 

8 minutes ago, Agamer321321 said:

Depends on your specific chip, though -50mV should be stable on basically every CPU, and -100mV should be fine on a lot of CPUs IIRC. 

9 minutes ago, Agamer321321 said:

Don't really worry about temps per say, monitor clock speed instead. Thanks to the way PBO works, it keeps the CPU between ~75-85C at all times, adjusting the frequency and voltage to keep it in that range under load. It'll downclock itself pretty drastically before it gets to a temperature that's unsafe for it. 

If you want a strict number, 95C, though odds of getting up there are pretty slim. 

19 minutes ago, Agamer321321 said:

Yep, its the current that actually matters here, most modern cpus are able to survive 2v but ofc basically none can run at 2v without degradation, upto 1.5v is fine for a few cores but due to current if you run that volt for all cores it may start degrading abit. The reason pbo does that is so tasks can be completed quicker so itll boost a crap ton to make stuff like opening apps or running light background tasks while idle faster so your pc feels snappier