I5 12400 power lifting on ausu b660m-A

Hi, I'm planning to buy an i5 12400, I'm wondering whether the asus vrm can handle lifting the power limit. If not can it handle the 12400 under normal conditions?

38 minutes ago, ezio313 said:

Hi, I'm planning to buy an i5 12400, I'm wondering whether the asus vrm can handle lifting the power limit. If not can it handle the 12400 under normal conditions?

Heh.   Headline got a bit confusing because power lifting is also a gym sport. 12400 doesn’t overclock so it won’t exceed rated voltage spec.  If you’ve got enough VRM for the spec you should be fine.  High voltage on VRM just makes the VRM hot anyway so if they’re getting too warm you can just put som more air on it.  They actually make gooseneck fans that attach to motherboard fan ports for just this purpose.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.   Headline got a bit confusing because power lifting is also a gym sport. 12400 doesn’t overclock so it won’t exceed rated voltage spec.  If you’ve got enough VRM for the spec you should be fine.  High voltage on VRM just makes the VRM hot anyway so if they’re getting too warm you can just put som more air on it.  They actually make gooseneck fans that attach to motherboard fan ports for just this purpose.

Yea I know lol,I meant lifting the power limit.  Can u give me a yes or no answer please xD

Not without looking up the specs of the board.  Once you have that it’s third grade math though.  12400 is not a K chip so the wattage limit on it is really all it can draw.  If the wattage limit of the board is greater than that, you’re good. It might be a bit higher than what is printed but not a lot.  It’s not a 12900k. My vague memory is that number is something like 65w which means it probably won’t draw more than max 80.  If you’ve got a board who’s limit is 65w (which would make it a really low end board) even if the thing hits 80, you could still just point some fan at the VRM or put a vented heat sink on it and it would be fine.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hi, so my question is whether the MSI B660m-e can handle the stock i5 12400 or removing the power limit on it. I received conflicting information on other forums so please answer if you are knowledgeable and sure

It should be fine if you're using a down draft cooler like the Intel stock cooler, the 12400 doesn't draw that much power (~50-60A at most with stock power limits), and while the VRM on that board is terrible, it should be good enough to handle that that amount of power with some airflow over it. 

I'd still try to get a board with a better VRM though, they're usually not much more expensive and shouldn't require you to possibly zip tie a fan to the VRM if it starts overheating. The B660M-A is a pretty good board, though depending on where you live that's either the same price or significantly more expensive. 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It should be fine if you're using a down draft cooler like the Intel stock cooler, the 12400 doesn't draw that much power (~50-60A at most with stock power limits), and while the VRM on that board is terrible, it should be good enough to handle that that amount of power with some airflow over it. 

I'd still try to get a board with a better VRM though, they're usually not much more expensive and shouldn't require you to possibly zip tie a fan to the VRM if it starts overheating. The B660M-A is a pretty good board, though depending on where you live that's either the same price or significantly more expensive. 

Can it handle lifting the power limit? I read that this could boost gaming performance by 10%

6 hours ago, ezio313 said:

Can it handle lifting the power limit? I read that this could boost gaming performance by 10%

I wouldn't trust that. Again, the VRM solution is about as bad as it can get. Plus, IIRC the 12400 doesn't really benefit from lifting power limits.