Network Extender Needed

DeadDabster

Hi,

So I just changed the location of my PC, everything worked fine until I checked the Wi-Fi speed.

My Wi-FI adapter is TL-WN821N, from my new PC location I get around 1-2 Mbps Download speed which is very low considering the speed I got on the pervious spot (Which is around 50 Mbps) and also my previous location was closer to the Wi-fi router. I test the speed with a laptop on my new pc location, it got around 11 Mbps speed. So as a conclusion I figured that the Wi-fi adapter range is low.

But according to the budget I think getting a Network extender is way better. So I thought of buying TP-Link WA850RE Wireless Extender or TP-Link WA854RE, which one is a option or can you tell me any other better option?

Thank you for the help. 

6 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Hi,

So I just changed the location of my PC, everything worked fine until I checked the Wi-Fi speed.

My Wi-FI adapter is TL-WN821N, from my new PC location I get around 1-2 Mbps Download speed which is very low considering the speed I got on the pervious spot (Which is around 50 Mbps) and also my previous location was closer to the Wi-fi router. I test the speed with a laptop on my new pc location, it got around 11 Mbps speed. So as a conclusion I figured that the Wi-fi adapter range is low.

But according to the budget I think getting a Network extender is way better. So I thought of buying TP-Link WA850RE Wireless Extender or TP-Link WA854RE, which one is a option or can you tell me any other better option?

Thank you for the help. 

You have a wireless-N USB adaptor. N is ancient, and USB adapters usually don't have great Aerials. If you have a reasonably modern router, maybe you can let us know the model? An internal PCI express Wireless AC adaptor with proper aerials might do the job for cheaper.

Best option is buy cable and use that.
Its worth so much more spending that money on a nice cable guide.
With cable you NEVER have that range problem...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

6 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Best option is buy cable and use that.
Its worth so much more spending that money on a nice cable guide.
With cable you NEVER have that range problem...

I wouldn't say never because if you're not smart about it and use multiple passive RJ45 extenders... yea that could cause issues as the distance gets longer and longer. Plus not everyone wants to pay a professional to run cables through the walls... or in my case DIY surface wire an ugly CAT6 cable between floors. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

investing in lan wires is better, it cost $10 per 10m i think. you will have 100% internet bandwidth with close to 0 latency.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You should not spend your money on extenders.

Your wireless adapter is only capable of older 802.11n standard, up to 300 mbps, IF the wireless router / access point also broadcasts at that speed and with the same number of antennas.

The adapter doesn't have a removable antenna, so the antenna built into the usb stick is lower quality, can not pick the signals as best as other adapters. so where the usb stick is positioned will affect the strength of the signal received.

Some routers have more antennas and higher transmission power on 5 Ghz (802.11 ac) which your wireless adapter doesn't support.  In theory, 5 Ghz is more sensitive to walls and obstacles, but at the same time routers could push the signals at higher power and newer wireless adapters could be better at working with 5 Ghz.

2.4 Ghz is often very congested, with lots of wireless devices and routers occupying the same space, so that can also slow things.

You should check what your wireless router is capable of... if it supports 5 ghz (802.11ac or better) then you should consider going for a 5 Ghz wireless adapter.

Cheaper options would be several :

1. Buy a better usb wireless adapter, ideally with removable antenna, so you can position the antenna in a better position. Usually such antennas only have 1-2 meters of cable, but that could be enough (for example to move the antenna from behind a desktop computer to the top of the computer, or to the desk)

If possible, you should buy a pci-e wireless adapter because it's better than USB, but I can understand if you have a laptop or something that forces you to use a USB adapter.

2. You could try to get a USB extension cable, to position the USB wireless adapter at the end of the extension cable.. this way the antenna (in the usb stick) can be positioned in a better place, to get a stronger signal.

A USB extension cable is cheap, a few dollars, and could be used for other things if it turns out it doesn't help