Drilling though side panel

EvilKitty

When I drill through the side panel with paint on it i know you are supposed to tape the paint to keep it from chipping, but does it matter if i go through the unpainted inside or the painted side first if so what side should i go through first

Drill through the painted side. Less risk of damage to the paint. Also as pointed out any deformation will be on the unfinished side. Make sure you have something behind the panel so you don't accidentally bend the panel while drilling. I usually use an old board. 

Put the side panel over a piece of scrap wood to drill the holes. That way you've got something to push against, and won't just end up making a big dent with a hole in the middle.

You'll also want to use something moderately sharp (like a center punch or a hammer and nail) to make a starting dent in the center of where you want your hole to be. This will help keep your drill bit from skating around on the surface before it starts biting into the metal.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, EvilKitty said:

When I drill through the side panel with paint on it i know you are supposed to tape the paint to keep it from chipping, but does it matter if i go through the unpainted inside or the painted side first if so what side should i go through first

+1 for backing it with a piece of wood to drill through also for the cut edge use something like a paint marker to touch up the silver metal to have it match the current paint.

this is assuming you are using a bi metal hole saw if you are drilled smaller openings then use a stepped drill bit this tend to give you better results.