Please don’t make me buy an xbox

jakkuh_t
2 hours ago, Colty said:

I'm not sure what you mean by a "gimp" port. It's 2.1, like all other modern devices.

it is not. it does not do full spec hdmi 2.1.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

You guys should look at Just-Add-Power. It would allow you to expand to crazy amounts using jumbo packets.

I thought what went wrong with XBox series X... It turns out Linus is setting up a multi device multi display, much like KVM. I wonder why LMG didn't come up with a better title...

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 hour ago, dogwitch said:

it is not. it does not do full spec hdmi 2.1.

Okay, it's a 2.1 port, has 2.1 capability, but it's 32GB per second instead of 48GBps However, the Series X is "gimped" at 40GBps too so?

Full 48GBps isn't asked of the console, so why does it matter? Xbox needs the extra bandwith for DV, PS5 doesn't currently have DV. Updates will come later and it'll probably reach 40 or 48GBps (For DV and 8k/60Hz). Doesn't matter to me, games still play 4k/120Hz/HDR, but at 120Hz it changes the sub-sampling in a way that does not matter in the slightest, especially for a game I'm choosing to run at 120fps. 

Regardless, the issue was persistent across multiple cables, my PS5, my PS3, and my PC with an RTX 3060. And other people on the OLED_Gaming Subreddit have had the same experience with RTX 30X0 cards, PS5's, Xbox's, PS4's, ect.

The test I was using (just a 60fps sound sync test) wasn't even HDR or 120Hz, it was the built in YouTube app so no way that was stressing it. 

Not sure if it would be useful to anyone to know this, but the equivalent software on Mac to Voicemeeter on Windows is: Audio Hijack by Rogue Amoeba. You can send your sound to multiple outputs, or nearly anything else you can imagine as far as routing application audio.

Why just not use Q-SYS? You can stream 4K60 4:4:4 HDMI over the network.

Yamaha is the brand you want to go with for high end home audio gear. That's not knocking Denon OR Onkyo, but you got fleeced big time paying 6 grand for that receiver. Yamaha's speakers in particular are some of the best you can get. They are probably the only major manufacturer left still doing things the old school way - something that makes perfect sense when you consider they also manufacture musical instruments. I would literally give one of my kidneys for a pair of their NS-5000 bookshelf speakers - they are simply that amazingly good. And yes, that's coming from a die-hard 30+ year audiophile who grew up around a piano. I know true audio when I hear it.

9 hours ago, Mirarty said:

Why just not use Q-SYS? You can stream 4K60 4:4:4 HDMI over the network.

QSC would be very expensive for this and not even provide the best image quality. There are far cheaper options to move 4K60 4:4:4 over a network, including ones that support HDR like AVProEdge MXNet. The issue is, I don't think any 1Gbps AVoIP solution is supporting 4K @ 120Hz. Crestron supports 120 at 1080 on their NVX lineup.

All of this could be solved by a Crestron system… Automation, matrix switching, audio routing, per room/speaker EQ and delay, and even signal transmission. 

And on top of this, it could all be controlled by simple touch panels and a unified remote system. No one would complain as you could press a single button and everything would just work. Linus blow’s 10’s of thousands of dollars on all the receivers, amp’s, and labor for a Mickey Mouse solution that will be frustrating for years to come.  He could spend 50-75k for a professional system that has ALL the features he needs but instead chooses to piece meal consumer grade equipment and complain it does not work. 

All of these problems were solved years ago by professional AV installers and now he is trying to re-invent the wheel. 

32 minutes ago, no.lens.cap said:

All of this could be solved by a Crestron system

Agreed, but it wouldn't make for the classic LTT content everyone knows and (mostly) loves.

1 hour ago, fltchr said:

Agreed, but it wouldn't make for the classic LTT content everyone knows and (mostly) loves.

I think it would, similar to the 1 Million dollar server setup.

Even the programming and automation functions of a Crestron system are really cool to show off.

5 hours ago, no.lens.cap said:

I think it would, similar to the 1 Million dollar server setup.

Even the programming and automation functions of a Crestron system are really cool to show off.

I am a certified Crestron programmer, I would program it for free lol. Make a sick custom interface for them.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:25 PM, 8tg said:

You have to call and use the phone activation service

I activated mine for free that way, upgraded all the way to windows 10 just so I didn't have to pay the 10$ for a key lol.

3 hours ago, Catagris said:

I am a certified Crestron programmer, I would program it for free lol. Make a sick custom interface for them.

The fact Linus is not building his own AV system and sticking with a single all in one receiver is like the difference between building his own computer an him daily driving a Alienware desktop.

He COULD build a super awesome custom system with his own LTT branded interface and custom AV modes and EQ.... but hey, here is a Magnavox receiver we found on Amazon, lets shoehorn that into some kind of solution...

On 5/8/2022 at 1:15 PM, Nystemy said:

To be fair, this video partly highlights why a receiver is generally just a hassle to deal with... (An audio receiver is practically just an amp often with an inbuilt DAC and sometimes a cheap HDMI switch thrown in on top. In short, using it for any more complex HDMI switching is like using a laptop as a server, ie not that good for the job.)

Switching HDMI isn't that hard and there is plenty of different solutions on the market. And a fair few do pass through audio as well, so one can just have a DAC where one needs it. (some video switchers even supports "GPIO" so one can wire in a button to turn on a specific path. Like linking the Xbox to the projector, or such. This is to make it trivial for anyone to get whatever input they need where they want it. These days I wouldn't be surprised if the IoT/Home-automation stuff has taken this even further. As if the RS232 connections of old weren't supporting enough customization.)

Though, doesn't fix the range issues of consoles. And yes, Microsoft should honestly let their consoles support the wireless receivers for their controllers, just for those who do put their console too far away.

Receivers are kind of hard to use, it's a shame. I wish there was a better solution 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

On 5/8/2022 at 1:33 PM, Colty said:

4k/120Hz receivers are just not worth it (especially on an OLED). I made a video about this actually.

In short, there was nothing I could do to fix the audio delay from my PS5 when running to the receiver then the TV. So now I use eARC, I wish I had prioritized other features of the receiver instead of the 2.1 spec since it's entirely unused. 

What receiver would you recommend? 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

16 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

What receiver would you recommend? 

I'm partial to Denon (who also owns Marantz) because, growing up that's what my dad had, that's what my previous one was. I'm used to their quirks and for me it's a "it just works for me" thing. Facebook and craigslist have deals that pop up from time to time. There was an absolutely kick-ass eARC Denon receiver I could have gotten for about the same price as mine, but I was so certain that I needed 4k120/allm/ect that I missed out on it. 

Ideally, find something with 7.2/9.2 support, pre-out options if you think you'll want to use an external amp later, I like the bluetooth and google home integration Denon has personally. Otherwise, it's really just the basics (wattage, feature support, ect). A place like AVSForums is going to be a lot more help than I will if you provide them with a budget and list of features you're considering/need. 

Accessories4Less has Denon/Marantz equipment and Denon has refurbs on their own site ("specials" section), which is how I got mine during their holiday sales. (Costco and BestBuy open box might be a good option as well)