Ram for gaming: 16gb ddr3 1600mhz

I run a H81 mobo, so no overclocking, with 8gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram. I get huge stutters in most AAA games because of this I think.

Would getting the 16gb really improve performance?

The 16gb is still a slow speed but Im thinking at first it will stuter, but when everything is in the ram it will stop as it doesn't need to transfer stuff in and out as much.

Or will it stil stutter like normal because of the slow speed

What are your other specs?

8gb is kinda fine but stuttering can come from many sources

Extra RAM will only help you if you're running out of it. 8GB can definitely be not enough these days, but I suspect the other components in a DDR3 system might also not be quite up for a modern AAA. Might not be worth the upgrade if you'll immediately run into a bottleneck somewhere else

50 minutes ago, 675409 said:

I run a H81 mobo, so no overclocking, with 8gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram. I get huge stutters in most AAA games because of this I think.

Would getting the 16gb really improve performance?

The 16gb is still a slow speed but Im thinking at first it will stuter, but when everything is in the ram it will stop as it doesn't need to transfer stuff in and out as much.

Or will it stil stutter like normal because of the slow speed

Depends.  If you are running out of memory, yes.  Even if you’re not a lot of games load as much as they can into ram so there will still be at least a smalll speed up.  The issue is it’s got to come in 8gb chunks if you want to maintain dual channel, so you can’t go from say 8gb to just 10 (which very likely may be all you need) so it’s 8 or 16.  May not be worth spending money on though because memory may not be causing the stuttering in which case flat no.  This is why @Yebi asked for specs I think.  If your machine is just too old and weak to game on there’s not a ton that can be done to save it.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

What are your other specs?

8gb is kinda fine but stuttering can come from many sources

I have an i5-4590 and gtx 1650

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends.  If you are running out of memory, yes.  Even if you’re not a lot of games load as much as they can into ram so there will still be at least a smalll speed up.  The issue is it’s got to come in 8gb chunks if you want to maintain dual channel, so you can’t go from say 8gb to just 10 (which very likely may be all you need) so it’s 8 or 16.  May not be worth spending money on though because memory may not be causing the stuttering in which case flat no.  This is why @Yebi asked for specs I think.  If your machine is just too old and weak to game on there’s not a ton that can be done to save it.

It has an i5-4590 and is about to be given an i7-4790k. I also have a gtx 1650 which from what i've seen is a 60+ fps experience on warzone. I do run out of ram completely though. When I am in one area of the map it is fine, it is when I move to the other side of rebirth island for example, then it stutters massively

3 minutes ago, 675409 said:

It has an i5-4590 and is about to be given an i7-4790k. I also have a gtx 1650 which from what i've seen is a 60+ fps experience on warzone. I do run out of ram completely though. When I am in one area of the map it is fine, it is when I move to the other side of rebirth island for example, then it stutters massively

The i7 + 8gb of ram will eliminate your problems.

27 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The i7 + 8gb of ram will eliminate your problems.

oh ok, good then

4 hours ago, 675409 said:

Ah how convenient.  I’ve got a lead 4770k@4.0 that should run just about as fast OCed as your does stock.  I can say conclusively then, you want 16 gb for gaming and you want the fastest stuff you can find.  Also, don’t expect the thing to last into 2023 as a gamer.  The thing already has outlived expectations.  It’s got high clock numbers but the ipc is no joke half what the new stuff is though.  I find I parlance best with a 580 at 1080p. Cpu is at 90% with the 580 topped out running fallout4.  With the same rig I get pretty steady 60fps on borderlands 3

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah how convenient.  I’ve got a lead 4770k@4.0 that should run just about as fast OCed as your does stock.  I can say conclusively then, you want 16 gb for gaming and you want the fastest stuff you can find.  Also, don’t expect the thing to last into 2023 as a gamer.  The thing already has outlived expectations.  It’s got high clock numbers but the ipc is no joke half what the new stuff is though.  I find I parlance best with a 580 at 1080p. Cpu is at 90% with the 580 topped out running fallout4.  With the same rig I get pretty steady 60fps on borderlands 3

so should i just keep my rx 6600 in the box? Will it be bottlenecked?

55 minutes ago, 675409 said:

so should i just keep my rx 6600 in the box? Will it be bottlenecked?

Sadly a 6600 isn’t a ton faster than a 580. Faster, but not a ton faster. Both are 1080p cards.  Also you will be able to overclock.  Overclock bonuses were already starting to shrink with haswell but only just.  Wouldn’t be surprised if you can get near 5.0ghz

.  Iirc the record with one of those was 5.1 on air.  with that thing on an overclock it should be a good bit quicker than my machine.  Remember I just have a 4770k and a lead one to boot.  You’ve got a 4790k. It’s stock speed is the same as the best stable OC I can get.  But if I need 16gb (really it’s more like 9, but 9 isn’t an option) you need 16gb