Im planning to buy a new router but my isp has direct fiber connection is there a way for me to convert that fiber signal to Ethernet

The router i found only takes in rj45 the given router by the isp has a fiber port but the new one doesn't how do i convert the fiber signal so that i could use the new router

Use the old one as modem, and the new one as a router?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

57 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Use the old one as modem, and the new one as a router?

How do i do this?

14 minutes ago, Newbie12 said:

How do i do this?

You turn the wifi off on the first one, connect the 2 with ethernet cable, and then set the second one up as a router.

Haven't done it myself, so I am lacking a bit of specifics on this topic, but nothing a little Google cannot fix.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

23 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You turn the wifi off on the first one, connect the 2 with ethernet cable, and then set the second one up as a router.

Haven't done it myself, so I am lacking a bit of specifics on this topic, but nothing a little Google cannot fix.

Will try that out thx

4 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Its not recommended to do that unless the first router supports bridge mode (which you would enable before adding the second router) as you cause a double-NAT.  Although with ISPs adopting CG-NAT anyway (so you already have double-NAT and would end up with triple), it probably wont make a big difference.

But if you DO have a public IP, you don't want double-NAT as it will cause matchmaking issues with some online games.

There are hacky ways to do it as well with a single device, but they are expensive and awkward to do.  Ideally all telcos would just have bridge mode as an option but sadly some do not.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

16 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not recommended to do that unless the first router supports bridge mode (which you would enable before adding the second router) as you cause a double-NAT.  Although with ISPs adopting CG-NAT anyway (so you already have double-NAT and would end up with triple), it probably wont make a big difference.

But if you DO have a public IP, you don't want double-NAT as it will cause matchmaking issues with some online games.

There are hacky ways to do it as well with a single device, but they are expensive and awkward to do.  Ideally all telcos would just have bridge mode as an option but sadly some do not.

I did my research and my isp is using cgnat so question will the method mentioned earlier work because the first router does not have bridge mode

6 hours ago, Newbie12 said:

I did my research and my isp is using cgnat so question will the method mentioned earlier work because the first router does not have bridge mode

The question would be, why do you want to do this?

The main benefit of having your own router is to avoid issues the ISP router is causing, if you cannot put the ISP router in bridge mode, then the reliability of your connection will ALWAYS be limited by that router.  Adding a second router just gives a second place things can go wrong.

People would normally add a second router to increase the range of their WiFi, but ideally that router would support Access Point mode or you'd use a proper Access Point.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The question would be, why do you want to do this?

The main benefit of having your own router is to avoid issues the ISP router is causing, if you cannot put the ISP router in bridge mode, then the reliability of your connection will ALWAYS be limited by that router.  Adding a second router just gives a second place things can go wrong.

People would normally add a second router to increase the range of their WiFi, but ideally that router would support Access Point mode or you'd use a proper Access Point.

Well yes its to increase range and also the isp router doesn't have a lot of control and customization i would love more control and features

4 hours ago, Newbie12 said:

Well yes its to increase range and also the isp router doesn't have a lot of control and customization i would love more control and features

Depends on the features, whilever the ISP router is there a lot of features will be irrelevant as they will be related to NAT such as port forwarding.  I suppose QoS might work (though if your broadband is faster than 300Mbit or so, most routers wont handle it, if its Gigabit it may not even be worth having at all anyway), though the main router may make it less effective due to having an extra layer of buffering.

Obviously better WiFi than the main router is an option and often a reason to do this, but if its for that then a second router that has an Access Point mode, or a dedicated Access Point, is highly recommended.  Not point adding more NAT if there is no reason to.

So what features specifically were you thinking of?

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Depends on the features, whilever the ISP router is there a lot of features will be irrelevant as they will be related to NAT such as port forwarding.  I suppose QoS might work (though if your broadband is faster than 300Mbit or so, most routers wont handle it, if its Gigabit it may not even be worth having at all anyway), though the main router may make it less effective due to having an extra layer of buffering.

Obviously better WiFi than the main router is an option and often a reason to do this, but if its for that then a second router that has an Access Point mode, or a dedicated Access Point, is highly recommended.  Not point adding more NAT if there is no reason to.

So what features specifically were you thinking of?

The router i purchased has AP mode both wired or wireless to the main router in terms of feature its QoS and parental control

11 hours ago, Newbie12 said:

The router i purchased has AP mode both wired or wireless to the main router in terms of feature its QoS and parental control

Ah, you'll have to use is as a router if you want QoS or parental controls.  But remember you'll want WiFi off on the main router so there isn't an easy way to bypass the QoS and parental controls on the second router.

Also anyone sneaky enough could physically plug in to the main router to bypass them also. 😉

On 5/5/2022 at 12:19 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ah, you'll have to use is as a router if you want QoS or parental controls.  But remember you'll want WiFi off on the main router so there isn't an easy way to bypass the QoS and parental controls on the second router.

Also anyone sneaky enough could physically plug in to the main router to bypass them also. 😉

Noted also no one would do that since ironically i want parental control but im the kid in this house thx a lot