help with BSOD

Go to solution Solved by LiamApex,

have you overclocked? 

if 2 cpus have been killed, then id start looking into motherboard / psu issues if you are running stock.

if OCd, try setting it back to stock and trying ?

So a bit of backstory, I had last year in October built a gaming rig with an open loop which specs are below:

lian li o11 dynamic mini

i7-11700k (had no performance difference between the i9)

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING OC WATERFORCE WB

thermaltake c240 kit

GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS PRO

8GBx4 BL2K8G32C16U4W Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz

2 m.2 intel nvme 1TB drives

EVGA Supernova 850 GM

120mm ekwb pe rad

now obviously the graphics card and the processor are cooled through the same loop, I am able to keep the loop itself under 65C (liquid inside with my thermal probe). To the issue, in October of 21, when I built the machine I could not have the computer do anything for longer than 5 minutes, at one point I timed it, before a Clock Watchdog Timeout Error had occurred. So I did mem tests for a day, that panned out just fine. I did stress tests which would cause the bsod, which I then read the file of the bsod and it pointed me to a specific processor core that always failed to respond to an interrupt. OK so it was the processor, contacted intel, and performed an advanced RMA so they overnighted me a new chip, boom problem solved... for about 6 months, I am starting to run into the error again. now what are the chances the second processor went bad after 6 months? is my component actually running too hot which is causing it to go bad faster? should I have more radiator? obviously my puter is quite noisy under full load. but it maintains the loop under 65C usually sits around 60C. But I am thinking about replacing the proc again, or possibly just replacing the ram to see? does anyone have any suggestions? I am definitely tired of this bsod, I am a software developer, no issues during the day when I am actually programming java, but boom open star citizen for more than 10 minutes (it is getting shorter every time) clock watchdog timeout. Thanks for any help in advance.

have you overclocked? 

if 2 cpus have been killed, then id start looking into motherboard / psu issues if you are running stock.

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

21 minutes ago, LiamApex said:

have you overclocked? 

Interesting point, I will go for the MOBO next and see if that fixes the issue. that is the most annoying component to replace lol.

10 minutes ago, JavaInstallationInProgress said:

Interesting point, I will go for the MOBO next and see if that fixes the issue. that is the most annoying component to replace lol.

Yeah, agreed, but if your killing stock CPUs in the same way each time, then its unlikely to be 2 seperate cpus with the same problem from factory. much more likely something is overvolting. sounds wierd, try RMA the motherboard for the reason it is killing your CPUs, see what they say. 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

14 minutes ago, LiamApex said:

Yeah, agreed, but if your killing stock CPUs in the same way each time, then its unlikely to be 2 seperate cpus with the same problem from factory. much more likely something is overvolting. sounds wierd, try RMA the motherboard for the reason it is killing your CPUs, see what they say. 

Roger that, just put in a request, I had the same idea kind of that something is causing them, I already replaced the power supply after the first time thinking it could be overvolting, so I guess the motherboard is the only thing left. I am a software guy and only really deal with the hardware when I have to and I guess.. I have too...