Internet disconnects randomly (urgent)

ezio313
Go to solution Solved by TenForceFalls,
1 hour ago, ezio313 said:

Wow,that seems sussy. No idea about the log option, but I have tp-link TD-W8961N.   Btw I applied to vdsl,the ISP should replace it next week.could this solve the issue,I honestly don't know what will differ in the infrastructure but they told me I'll get better ping and download speed.

When CenturyLink (what you get if you don't have a choice in the USA) changed my modem, the chipset didn't match so it had issues like this, making sure the chipsets match and play nice on both the dslam and your modem make it work as well as possible. Following this video also helps a lot

This is a complicated issue

Hi, I live in Lebanon. Have adsl connection. In the last year, internet started disconnecting randomly, the internet light on my modem would go off, also ping will spike mid games. I had to restart it each time, this would solve the problem. I contacted my isp, they sent a team and found nothing wrong with the line. So they told me that the problem is on my behalf.

• 1st replaced my old Linksys with tp-link TD-W8961N, the good thing is that tplink would restart on its own, and will take 2 min instead of 5.
  • 2nd I replaced the filter, internal line (going from modem to filter). But the problem persisted.

The only thing left to replace was the line going from the telephone junction box to my apartment, The ISP told me its the reason for the disconnections since whenever I touched it a static noise would be heard through the landline.  I hesitated since it costs a lot and it shouldn't get damaged since its an external line going through the building towards my apartment and into the other end of the filter.

• finally replaced the external line, the static noise is gone but unfortunately the issue persisted. I'm frustrated, internet disconnected 3 times in the last 30 minutes

Please HELP

27 minutes ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

Have you asked your ISP to replace their modem?

Yea I already mentioned that I replaced the modem

If modem was replaced and there is nothing wrong with the cable pair, but the issue persists, then keep pushing the ISP because they often don't find a problem the first time around but later if you keep pushing they fix it.

Sounds like your isp overloaded their dslam (what your modem connects to on the other end) most dslam systems respond in this way when their outside connection is overloaded. To semi confirm this, try using the internet off peak times and see if the issue persists. also talk to anyone else who lives near you and has the same isp, see if they are having the same issue at the same time. 

55 minutes ago, Thomas_s_Bacement_Relm said:

Sounds like your isp overloaded their dslam (what your modem connects to on the other end) most dslam systems respond in this way when their outside connection is overloaded. To semi confirm this, try using the internet off peak times and see if the issue persists. also talk to anyone else who lives near you and has the same isp, see if they are having the same issue at the same time. 

The issue is completely random.at 2 am it disconnected 6 times in 1 hour. Then it didn't disconnect for 48 consecutive hours. The new monitoring service is beneficial,it shows me disconnections while I'm sleeping or outside. I can't figure out a pattern yet

14 minutes ago, ezio313 said:

The issue is completely random.at 2 am it disconnected 6 times in 1 hour. Then it didn't disconnect for 48 consecutive hours. The new monitoring service is beneficial,it shows me disconnections while I'm sleeping or outside. I can't figure out a pattern yet

Does your router support logs? When I was on a ADSL2 line it had a negotiation log with the dslam and I was able to trace it back to some guy unplugging and replunging all the wires in the middle of the night

2 hours ago, Thomas_s_Bacement_Relm said:

Does your router support logs? When I was on a ADSL2 line it had a negotiation log with the dslam and I was able to trace it back to some guy unplugging and replunging all the wires in the middle of the night

Wow,that seems sussy. No idea about the log option, but I have tp-link TD-W8961N.   Btw I applied to vdsl,the ISP should replace it next week.could this solve the issue,I honestly don't know what will differ in the infrastructure but they told me I'll get better ping and download speed.

1 hour ago, ezio313 said:

When CenturyLink (what you get if you don't have a choice in the USA) changed my modem, the chipset didn't match so it had issues like this, making sure the chipsets match and play nice on both the dslam and your modem make it work as well as possible. Following this video also helps a lot

On 5/2/2022 at 8:07 PM, ezio313 said:

VDSL comes from a DSLAM in a cabinet on the street, much much closer to you than the exchange where ADSL usually comes from.

As such there is less telephone cable that can be old, faulty or picking up interference between you and the DSLAM so speed and stability is usually much higher.

Do bear in mind if the ISP does not provide one, you'll need a VDSL router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 5/2/2022 at 2:14 PM, Thomas_s_Bacement_Relm said:

Now I must know, since my post was marked as the solution did you get your internet fixed?

On 5/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, TenForceFalls said:

Now I must know, since my post was marked as the solution did you get your internet fixed?

No but the video was useful,ton of info. The isp sent a decent guy,he told me that the issue is from thier splitter, so when they replace it internet will go back to normal again. Thanks anyways