16 or 24gb ram

I’ve recently purchased a new 2x8gb 3200mhz kit because a single stick of 8gb was simply not enough.

But my question is is it worth it to run 3 8gb sticks at 2666mhz instead of 2 8gb at 3200mhz?

my new ram are crucial ballistix 3200mhz 8gb and my old one was crucial ballistix sport LT 2666mhz 8gb.

thank you for your time

More ram is only faster if you actually use it. If you're going over 16GB if ram usage, 24GB of 2666MHz is way faster because you aren't using your page file. Otherwise, definitely stick with higher MHz.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I think, depending on your setup, using 3 sticks can actually lower performance.

If your system is running the 2 sticks in dual channel mode (kinda like raid for your RAM), then adding a third stick could disable that and effectively half your bandwidth.

I use 16GB and don't seem to run into any issues, but as previous post says, it depends if you use it and what you're using the machine for.

Even though they are of the same brand name traditionally mixing RAM has been a iffy game to play. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. So for reliabilities sake I would stick with the two sticks of 3200mhz and if you need more ram then buy another kit of the same exact model number as your current kit.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

I'd recommend trying both just to see if it works and if the performance is better one way or the other.

Really the only thing hindering anything is time. Especially since you already own both sets of RAM. Worst case it performs worse, best case you have a little more RAM to do as you please.

Thanks everyone for their reactions!

I will stick with the 2x8 but maybe will change to the 3 stick if I really need it.

2 hours ago, AgentJ said:

Thanks everyone for their reactions!

I will stick with the 2x8 but maybe will change to the 3 stick if I really need it.

What's CPU and motherboard?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a i5 9600k and a z390 a pro. But i think i have already decided to stay on 2x8 3200mhz and put a extra dimm in when i need to.