Help me find a rack mounted NAS

KWelz

Currently I am running an older QNAP TS-451+ with 4 x 12TB drives in RAID5.  It has served well enough over the years, however I am trying to streamline my home network so I would like to switch to a rack mounted NAS.  Not to mention I like that most of the newer ones are easily expandable.   

Currently I am looking at the following. 

Synology RS819

QNAP TS-431XeU

QNAP TS-432PXU

The nice thing about the QNAP is that I can import my existing array over however they have had a number of security issues lately so I am considering switching over to Synology.  

Does anyone have experience with any or all of these units or similar ones?  

Overall network is a basic Ubiquiti setup with a Dream Machine Pro, a POE 24 Port switch and a couple access points.   

I also considered picking up a refurbished HP ProLiant or Dell PowerEdge 1U server and running the NAS on that.   However I like the simplicity of a dedicated NAS for backing up and storing my files.  No to mention I have a small hot rack and a full server would require some creative mounting options.   My current rack is already bigger than I would like. 

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give me.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

16 minutes ago, KWelz said:

I also considered picking up a refurbished HP ProLiant or Dell PowerEdge 1U server and running the NAS on that.   However I like the simplicity of a dedicated NAS for backing up and storing my files.  No to mention I have a small hot rack and a full server would require some creative mounting options.   My current rack is already bigger than I would like. 

Are there any other services you could consolidate into the 1U server? Something like a Dell R230 running TrueNAS Scale would give you a lot of flexibility (at the expense of not being quite the same turn-key experience Synology DSM gives you).

Are features like hardware video transcoding and faster-than-gigabit networking important to you?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

33 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Are there any other services you could consolidate into the 1U server? Something like a Dell R230 running TrueNAS Scale would give you a lot of flexibility (at the expense of not being quite the same turn-key experience Synology DSM gives you).

Are features like hardware video transcoding and faster-than-gigabit networking important to you?

My home security and monitoring runs through the DMP.  I don't do any virtualization or video transcoding.   Not saying I never will mess around with it, but it would be some side project for fun, not something I would need for my work.   

Currently the NAS is just for storing large amounts Data.  

A couple devices in my house have 2.5 or 10gb nics but for the transfers I do 1gb is fine.    

As you can see, my needs aren't crazy.  I am mostly worried about reliability and security.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Sounds like you're the ideal customer for a Syology appliance, then!

I'd recommend a machine with more than four drive bays though, for additional redundancy. RAID 5 on large drives sketches me out. (Part of the reason I went full stupid and built a Dell R720xd with a dozen 12 TB drives in RAIDz3...)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.