Ryzen 7 5800X idling at 65-70*C, please help

Dont_Be_Lasagna

First off, my specs

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

Motherboard: Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi - BIOS 4006

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360 AIO with 3xQL120 fans on the rad (exhaust), + 3xQL120 intake fans, all on Commander Core

Case: Lian Li O11-Dynamic

GPU: Strix 3080 TI OC

RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair RM1000X

So yesterday I updated my BIOS, despite always hearing "don't update your BIOS unless there's something wrong" .

At least some of my BIOS settings (possibly all) had somehow been reset, so my PC wouldn't boot to windows because of a CPU fan error. I couldn't figure it out so then I cleared CMOS. I eventually found the option in BIOS to ignore the cpu fan error. I then had to manually redo my adjustments to PPT/TDC/EDC (115/100/80) that had previously helped get my idle temps down to about 45-47*C. Even after this, my current CPU temps are back up to 65-70*C. I have 6x Corsair QL120 fans connected to a Commander Core with a H150i Elite Capellix AIO. The fan and pump speeds have always been controlled by iCue and I have had no issues with that previously either. I even set an aggressive fan curve in iCue using my CPU package temp as the reference so now my fans are all on 100% and does not help. I've got Q-Fan disable in my BIOS since the fans are all connected to the Commander Pro instead of the motherboard fan headers. I'm at my wits end. Is it possible to install an older version of the BIOS on my motherboard? Could that even help? I updated via the BIOS Flashback function.

All help would be greatly appreciated

Screenshot (139).png

Screenshot (140).png

Screenshot (141).png

Is there even contact between said cooler and the CPU? Are you for sure the pump isn't dying? If its still working, then try reseating CPU. Does that mobo have a dedicated AIO header and is the pump plugged into it?

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

I heard the 5800x runs hot but that sounds like poor contact to me. Definitely try reseating.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

Sounds like poor contacts / maybe a pump issue? feel the rads see if they are getting hot, and the pipes also, and maybe try taking off the cooler, re pasting and re seating it, I'm using a 5800x with an AIO and I idle at roughly 35-40, and under load I've never gone above 60

I repasted the CPU 3 months ago when I was first trying to fix this issue, I've had the CPU idling at ~46*C for the last 3 months, including yesterday before I updated the BIOS. It's definitely got good contact.

20 minutes ago, Cheki said:

Sounds like poor contacts / maybe a pump issue? feel the rads see if they are getting hot, and the pipes also, and maybe try taking off the cooler, re pasting and re seating it, I'm using a 5800x with an AIO and I idle at roughly 35-40, and under load I've never gone above 60

how do you sit at 35-40 at idle with an AIO?
I`m using a NH-U12A and my idle tems at 26-31 and web browsing temps 33-38

Mind you i\ve maxxed out PBO.

19 minutes ago, Dont_Be_Lasagna said:

I repasted the CPU 3 months ago when I was first trying to fix this issue, I've had the CPU idling at ~46*C for the last 3 months, including yesterday before I updated the BIOS. It's definitely got good contact.

How much voltage are you pumping on your CPU? if its not that you might have 
A. A air pocket.
B. Poor contact
C. dying AIO
D. you`ve screwed with the bios settings and forgot
E. VRMs are not regulating properly (1 in 100000000 chance)

Coming from a little digging around assuming the pump isn't bad and the contact is good. I'd try some of the recommendations I saw in this thread as it seems to mimic your situation.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

1 hour ago, Makaroni said:

A. A air pocket.
B. Poor contact
C. dying AIO

According to the BIOS 1.42~ volts? I don’t know if that’s too much I just have it set to auto, pretty sure I didn’t adjust it last time. I’ve even re-flashed the BIOS back to what I had it at previously then re-entered my PPT/TDC/EDC at 115/100/80 and CPU fan header ignoring and It’s still idling at 67-ish, so I don’t know.

I’m also not sure if I’m imagining it but the fans seem to be on their absolute quietest from boot to when iCue starts, and I don’t know if they were that quiet on boot previously.

E52D1CAF-560F-4390-9727-72D2EB8F79E7.jpeg

it could be that a piece of software is causing all of this.

There used to be a time where Icue and NZXT cam could cause ur CPU to constantly boost so maybe check there.
1.465V is high and should be reduced to 1.375V!!!! esepcially if you`re just daily driving it

17 minutes ago, Makaroni said:

it could be that a piece of software is causing all of this.

There used to be a time where Icue and NZXT cam could cause ur CPU to constantly boost so maybe check there.
1.465V is high and should be reduced to 1.375V!!!! esepcially if you`re just daily driving it

image.thumb.png.b589a0fe563b8c04ef5f737ab0e75722.png

just for reference when browsing the web and doing some work on word 
Do you see the major difference?

6 hours ago, Makaroni said:

A. A air pocket.
B. Poor contact
C. dying AIO

I assume you mean that 35-40 at idle is hot, but it've never checked idle properly, currently I'm on here, watching a vid whilst on a call with a game half running and lots of other background stuff and I'm at 38

10 minutes ago, Cheki said:

I assume you mean that 35-40 at idle is hot, but it've never checked idle properly, currently I'm on here, watching a vid whilst on a call with a game half running and lots of other background stuff and I'm at 38

There is a lot of idle temp talk but what is important is load. Throw it under a Cinebench R23 multicore test and record temp, clockspeed, power and core voltage. Better yet just screenshot Ryzen Master while its running. 

4 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

There is a lot of idle temp talk but what is important is load. Throw it under a Cinebench R23 multicore test and record temp, clockspeed, power and core voltage. Better yet just screenshot Ryzen Master while its running. 

I changed my CPU voltage in BIOS to 1.375 as suggested by Makaroni, idle temps went down to about 53-56*C, ran Cinebench R23 multi-core and maxed out at about 73.3*C, that was all with my fans on 100%. I am planning to unplug and re-plug in my Commander Core and repaste my CPU this afternoon.

Screenshot (145).png

23 minutes ago, Dont_Be_Lasagna said:

I changed my CPU voltage in BIOS to 1.375 as suggested by Makaroni, idle temps went down to about 53-56*C, ran Cinebench R23 multi-core and maxed out at about 73.3*C, that was all with my fans on 100%. I am planning to unplug and re-plug in my Commander Core and repaste my CPU this afternoon.

Screenshot (145).png

3.5Ghz all core, something is significantly wrong. 

My 5800x maintains 4.7Ghz all core, 82c and 155W under that same Cinebench load. You need to reset that BIOS and reverse everything you've done. Then, try a new cooler.

Your changes to PPT/TDC/EDC brought your temps down and killed your performance. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

3.5Ghz all core, something is significantly wrong. 

My 5800x maintains 4.7Ghz all core, 82c and 155W under that same Cinebench load. You need to reset that BIOS and reverse everything you've done. Then, try a new cooler.

Your changes to PPT/TDC/EDC brought your temps down and killed your performance. 

When you say try a new cooler, do you mean that mine might be faulty, or that it’s just not good enough and to try a different model all together? And if different, what would you recommend?

Thanks

13 hours ago, Dont_Be_Lasagna said:

I was reading the thread and the highlighted section caught my attention. 

Perhaps roll back the bios update. Clear the cmos before and after you flash of course. 

This thread is going exactly the same way as this one from yesterday.

Cooler change is just troubleshooting to rule out a potential fault with the one you have. 

I was running hot stock on my 5900x idling in the high 50's low 60's with massive airflow and a Noctua D15 air cooler until I learned about adjusting AMD's Curve optimizer.  Now my idle temps are in the mid-high 40's.

Amazing resource video if your interested.  Got more performance with cooler temps.

8 minutes ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

I was running hot stock on my 5900x idling in the high 50's low 60's with massive airflow and a Noctua D15 air cooler until I learned about adjusting AMD's Curve optimizer.  Now my idle temps are in the mid-high 40's.

Amazing resource video if your interested.  Got more performance with cooler temps.

Curve Optimizer is downright incredible. 

It should be repeated again though that idle temperatures don't mean anything. Full load temps and the clockspeed you can sustain at those loads are all that matters. A curve optimizer undervolt though gives you both. 🙂

16 hours ago, Cheki said:

I`m not saying it's hot just surprised that that temp with an AIO
at 34 avarage during mindless scrolling having 10+ things running in the background maybe hitting 38 at some point if i watch a 4k vid.

12 hours ago, Dont_Be_Lasagna said:

Screenshot (145).png

Could you do me a favor and do the following.

set your core voltages to default

Disable Icue and all your current startup programs.

Flash your bios to most recent -1

do a complete CMOS reset

Reseat your CPU and please repaste it using the X method or spread with a thermal spreader (if possible check if your paste is somehow old and does not do good thermal contact get one from a reputable brand. Thermal gryzly kryonaut, noctua, arctic MX5 Kinging KPx)

When placing your AIO make sure everything is in place and there is noting loose.

when you CMOS your BIOS and later enter it make sure you have XMP enabled

set then default your ryzen master reset your PC and afterwards do 100 80 125

Your CPU should be doing about 14600-15000 score on cinebench R32
Monitor your  performance on ryzen master as your avarage clock speed should be at 4450-4500 (since you wont be clock streching)
I`ll be back home in about 5 hours and i`ll check everyting including my bios settings (i use gigabyte mobo doe) myself but yesterdays score on R23 was 14973 temps at 73 degrees clocks at 4450 all core 
an important note is that i`ve heard roumors that sometimes Asus boards like to give CPUs extra voltage