I made an open-source Strawpoll Replacement

Hi all,

In the last few WAN shows, Linus' complaints and troubles with Strawpoll motivated me to do some experimentation and development with a potential replacement for strawpoll that actually works.

So I came up with this - a fully open-source, MIT licensed polling platform built on NodeJS and Redis. I've put a bit of thought into it to ensure it can manage high levels of load, with the details of some of my decisions and choices outlined in the README.md on the repo.

The full source and details on a publicly available instance of it that I run are available here: https://github.com/peasee/poll

It's relatively easy to install, and I've made an easy-install script that would be suitable for most installations if people want to install it for themselves to run their own polling platform (for whatever reason).

Theoretically, LTT could also install it in their own racks with their hundreds of cores to handle any level of load the community could possibly throw at it. My publicly available instance isn't too high spec, but should be suitable for most loads for a theoretical 20-40k requests per second.

If you encounter any bugs while using or installing it, feel free to raise issues on the repo and I'll get around to them. Hope you all enjoy!

On 4/23/2022 at 8:08 AM, ToboRobot said:

Very cool, thanks for contributing to the community!

Thanks! I hope someone finds good use for it. If not, it was still lots of fun to develop even if it's only a small project!

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a good Strawpoll online tool for a university project and was surprised that there is virtually no good, established open source solution. Then I came across your tool by chance and yes, it is really well done. Thanks a lot, I might make a Docker image out of it :D

8 hours ago, vamento said:

I was looking for a good Strawpoll online tool for a university project and was surprised that there is virtually no good, established open source solution. Then I came across your tool by chance and yes, it is really well done. Thanks a lot, I might make a Docker image out of it 😄

I was surprised by the exact same thing - let me know how you go making a docker image for it! Would love to merge that back into the main repo, makes installation for the masses much easier.

I'd dabbled making a dockerfile for it, but I'm currently halfway switching my OS from Windows to Linux so just ended up using WSL2 to run my Redis dev server on Windows. I'm lazy 😛