Can somebody confirm the legitimacy and the safety of this video regarding the revival of a Dead Battery

I have an old Nokia Asha 309 which I did not use for around 2 years (its 11 years old now...the battery was pretty good the last time I used it...gave around 10 hours of bluetooth music streaming)...Now I want to revive the phone but the battery's dead...checked with a voltmetre...It simply shows 0V....I've had this phone for years and holds sentimental value for me....I tried finding new batteries for the phone...But I simply cannot find one...So incase if this video is safe and legitimate...I would use it to revive my old nokia...Can you guys please confirm if this video is safe and legitimate?

The comment section seems to be positive...and the revival of dislike button has made it more difficult right now....

35 minutes ago, Sed Linus said:

It simply shows 0V.....Can you guys please confirm if this video is safe and legitimate?

That video no I would not do that. I have done something similar with success. I do not think you can revive your battery, it sounds to be beyond saving, at 0V.

I've come across a couple situations (both tablets) where the battery was too low for the charging circuit to turn on. The battery did have a voltage though. In these cases, I was able to use a power supply to "charge" the batteries using wires similar to how the video showed. However I used a proper amount of power, not just sending 9 volts into a ~3 volt battery. This got me enough of a charge to allow the device to charge itself again.

However in both of these cases the batteries where not completely flat. A battery at 0V is not very likely to take a proper charge and likely damaged. It's time to source a new battery, like the one linked above.

With a 9volt battery no,but with a proper voltage and current regulated power supply yes, done it many times.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

With a 9volt battery no,but with a proper voltage and current regulated power supply yes, done it many times.

I have a battery charger with 2 modes....has a 6V mode and a 12V mode...used for charging larger batteries..Can I use that?

9 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

That video no I would not do that. I have done something similar with success. I do not think you can revive your battery, it sounds to be beyond saving, at 0V.

I've come across a couple situations (both tablets) where the battery was too low for the charging circuit to turn on. The battery did have a voltage though. In these cases, I was able to use a power supply to "charge" the batteries using wires similar to how the video showed. However I used a proper amount of power, not just sending 9 volts into a ~3 volt battery. This got me enough of a charge to allow the device to charge itself again.

However in both of these cases the batteries where not completely flat. A battery at 0V is not very likely to take a proper charge and likely damaged. It's time to source a new battery, like the one linked above.

So it is worth an attempt?

Or not worth it?

I just want to revive the phone....NOt going to actually use it...revive it and maintain it

37 minutes ago, Sed Linus said:

I have a battery charger with 2 modes....has a 6V mode and a 12V mode...used for charging larger batteries..Can I use that?

If it's for car batteries like it seems, no. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

If it's for car batteries like it seems, no. 

I used it for a project...charging a 12V battery which looked like a battery from 2 wheelers....ig thats the case then...

Will an old adapter work?

LIke i have one which can provide 6V and around 0.5A....an old charger from an old phone...can that be used?...like connect the terminals of the charger (after removing the pin) to the battery?

11 hours ago, Sed Linus said:

So it is worth an attempt?

6V is still a lot (I've always used 5 volts or less). You aren't trying to fully charge the battery with the charger either. I'm also guessing this is likely a car battery charger or something, which is not meant for Li-ion batteries, which also makes it dangerous. You need to get just enough of a surface charge on the battery that the phones charging system can take over and charge it properly.

With it being at 0 volts, I have some doubts it will come back. Watch for swelling. Last thing you want to do is have it fail in an unsafe manner or have a failure. In theory most batteries should have safeties, but the key word is should. Don't want to have a fire just because you want to tinker with a dead battery.

Yup I still wouldn't recommend it without a proper regulated PSU where you can limit the current to 0.1A or so and raise voltage slowly to see what's happening.

IMG_20220303_101818.thumb.jpg.2fb31825ab0d1067fd57d235ca7b3c09.jpg

F@H

GPD Win 2

12 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

6V is still a lot (I've always used 5 volts or less). You aren't trying to fully charge the battery with the charger either. I'm also guessing this is likely a car battery charger or something, which is not meant for Li-ion batteries, which also makes it dangerous. You need to get just enough of a surface charge on the battery that the phones charging system can take over and charge it properly.

With it being at 0 volts, I have some doubts it will come back. Watch for swelling. Last thing you want to do is have it fail in an unsafe manner or have a failure. In theory most batteries should have safeties, but the key word is should. Don't want to have a fire just because you want to tinker with a dead battery.

oh...ok then...ill not use that charger...There is no swelling though...it is completely fine physically look wise...Thay is why I asked If it is even worth an attempt

13 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

On 4/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, Kilrah said:

On 4/20/2022 at 7:37 AM, OhioYJ said:

An update....I just let the phone charge with its stock charger for an hour...and the battery seems to show some kind of life...instead of staying at 0V...the voltmetre reads a 0.03V...IS this a positive that the battery could be revived?

Maybe just let it charge for hours?

I saw no heat from the battery for the whole 1 hour....

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Yup I still wouldn't recommend it without a proper regulated PSU where you can limit the current to 0.1A or so and raise voltage slowly to see what's happening.

I dont have such equipment ...So maybe just give up on reviving this battery...and try searching for a new one once again

17 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Update :

I tried using a 10w charger on the phone instead of its stock 0.75W charger (I have used a 10w charger before to fast charge...it usually takes around 30 mins to charge completely with a 10w charger with a lot of heat while it takes around 3-4 hours with the stock charger)...I let it charge for an hour...No heat whatsoever....After an hour the battery popped up to life...The voltmetre showed a reading of 3.9V on the battery (its rated 3.7V and when at 100% charge the battery hits 4.1V)

But the phone does not seem to turn on for some reason....It worked fine when I used a new overpriced battery on it (I actually got one...but the shopkeeper charged me 50$ for the battery alone...so i dropped it)

last month....Did I fry my phone?

10 hours ago, Sed Linus said:

But the phone does not seem to turn on for some reason....It worked fine when I used a new overpriced battery on it (I actually got one...but the shopkeeper charged me 50$ for the battery alone...so i dropped it)

Does this mean the battery in the phone is new? Or you tested it with a new battery but since the shop wanted $50 you decided not to purchase it / repair it.  

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Does this mean the battery in the phone is new? Or you tested it with a new battery but since the shop wanted $50 you decided not to purchase it / repair it.  

I tested the phone on a new battery a month back...but the price of that battery was 50$ so i did not purchase it...but when i tried the phone on the new battery (a month back) the phone worked pretty fine

No the battery on my phone is the same battery which was in the phone for 11 years...It has a solid 3.9V...but phone does not seem to show any sign of life