WiFi router recommendations

TheHvidsten

Until recently I had a Netgear Nighthawk X6S that I was relatively happy with. It had good coverage of my apartment, had a guest network, decently fast hardware, and some good advanced settings.

What I wasn't happy with was the stability. It often lost it's WAN connection (2-4 times a year), crashed (2-4 times a year, reboot helped), and crashed completely about once a year (everything was reset to factory defauly and had to be set up again..

It has now crashed completely for the last time (almost catastrophically this time) and I need to replace it with something better than what my ISP has given me.

Which good alternatives are out there to replace this? The replacement should have good coverage (powerful radios? multiple antennas?), should have fast hardware, must be able to set up a guest network, must have portforwarding for more than TCP+UDP (i.e. GRE (47).

I've heard WiFi6 mentioned here and there, and it should probably support that as well?

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Preferrably not Netgear due to my bad experience with the previous router.

On 4/18/2022 at 4:55 PM, GTHvidsten said:

Until recently I had a Netgear Nighthawk X6S that I was relatively happy with. It had good coverage of my apartment, had a guest network, decently fast hardware, and some good advanced settings.

What I wasn't happy with was the stability. It often lost it's WAN connection (2-4 times a year), crashed (2-4 times a year, reboot helped), and crashed completely about once a year (everything was reset to factory defauly and had to be set up again..

It has now crashed completely for the last time (almost catastrophically this time) and I need to replace it with something better than what my ISP has given me.

Which good alternatives are out there to replace this? The replacement should have good coverage (powerful radios? multiple antennas?), should have fast hardware, must be able to set up a guest network, must have portforwarding for more than TCP+UDP (i.e. GRE (47).

I've heard WiFi6 mentioned here and there, and it should probably support that as well?

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Preferrably not Netgear due to my bad experience with the previous router.

A quick Googling suggests GRE may work using a TCP rule, at least on some routers.  Though GRE is not a secure tunnel so not sure I'd use it personally, seems quite a wide open hacking target.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7