Dell doesn’t want you upgrading you memory!

Yeah they even named their hardware sCAMM ! 🤣

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Scaleable Compression Memory Attachment, or SCAMM.

Wow, Dell you just keep on finding ways of making your hardware crap. I think its sad this is with their "pro" Precision laptop too.

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

As this isn't even close to what Tech News format is supposed to be, I see no reason to keep it in Tech News. If you want to make it follow guidelines, it can be moved back.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This should be a bloody PSA to anyone looking to buy new laptops from Dell.

12 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Scaleable Compression Memory Attachment, or SCAMM.

Wow, Dell you just keep on finding ways of making your hardware crap. I think its sad this is with their "pro" Precision laptop too.

Not sure where you got the "scaleable" from.

It's just called "Compression Attached Memory Module" or CAMM for short.

Anyway, I feel like people are very quick to brag their pitch forks over this. The TL;DR is that Dell has created their own DDR5 module that are basically two sticks combined into one. This means that regular sticks won't fit, you have to get these "dual stick in one stick" modules. We don't know how many or how few manufacturers will create these, nor do we know how much they will cost.

It does not mean Dell don't want you to upgrade your memory.

It does not mean Dell are locking out users from upgrading their memory.

Also, from what I know a lot of laptops don't even let you replace the RAM in them anymore (I know some ThinkPads don't let you, and I am pretty sure the Dell XPS 13 don't let you either, and Asus has a few as well). So while this might be seen as bad, it is not really that horrible compared to what some others are doing.

The reason for those laptops not letting you replace the RAM modules was because they used LPDDR4, and there is no SO-DIMM standard for LPDDR4 as far as I know.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure where you got the "scaleable" from.

It's just called "Compression Attached Memory Module" or CAMM for short.

In the Tom's hardware article, on the images from Dell, they call it a "scaleable" module, I think "SCAMM" is a more appropriate acronym for this bs from Dell.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Anyway, I feel like people are very quick to brag their pitch forks over this. The TL;DR is that Dell has created their own DDR5 module that are basically two sticks combined into one. This means that regular sticks won't fit, you have to get these "dual stick in one stick" modules. We don't know how many or how few manufacturers will create these, nor do we know how much they will cost.

It does not mean Dell don't want you to upgrade your memory.

It does not mean Dell are locking out users from upgrading their memory.

The point is Dell didn't need to create their own proprietary RAM module. The Precision laptop is a workstation, I wonder how many in the design and engineering fields actually using these mobile workstations are really worried about their laptop being 0.5mm thinner, there is a point where making a work laptop into an ultrabook thin notebook sacrifices too much, including expandability and sometimes even battery capacity. It also sacrifices a more rugged design which holds up better after years of use and better protects the internals in case of an accidental drop.

It means you can only get a RAM module from Dell, and if Dell has patented their RAM module, third party manufacturers won't be able to offer RAM upgrades. And while this is also slightly better than soldered in RAM, it actually isn't because if Dell stops offering upgrade parts for a laptop series, you're out of luck anyway especially if Dell has patented their proprietary RAM module.

The right to repair and anti-monopoly hammers need to drop hard and soon!

Dell's idea to advertise more repairability while making proprietary modules is that toxic company mandate to press right up against the limp wristed regulations (which aren't even enacted yet) while claiming compliance. Apple's done it with storage, dell's been doing it for years in everything they touched after 2010.

How much longer must we all wait for an actual call-out of these companies. Personally I'm never recommending Dell to any client, doesn't matter much but the few sales I can take out of the pocket of toxic companies the better.

I'm also one of the few considering switching to Apple even with all their issues. Where do you find a company that isn't a pathetic cash grab anymore?

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

36 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Where do you find a company that isn't a pathetic cash grab anymore?

The only company I can think of is HP with their Probooks, they offer repair instructions and have repair videos for their products. Or Framework if you can deal with their 3:2 display and only offering Intel cpu's.

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The only company I can think of is HP with their Probooks, they offer repair instructions and have repair videos for their products. Or Framework if you can deal with their 3:2 display and only offering Intel cpu's.

Intel CPUs get better these days, but drivers? Uncertain yet. But, I like 3:2 aspect ratios here.

Here's hoping Framework spreads awareness to everyone.

13 minutes ago, Herrscher of Whatever said:

Intel CPUs get better these days, but drivers? Uncertain yet. But, I like 3:2 aspect ratios here.

Here's hoping Framework spreads awareness to everyone.

The newer Intel CPU's are much better, but I think it would be nice to have a Ryzen option for the better igpu.

I'm not sure on the 3:2 aspect ratio, it's nice for work purposes and scrolling pages, also probably good for emulating older games, though for watching videos or light gaming I'd want a 16:9 display.