Headphones for a Digital Piano

cogeary

Hi there. I'm currently searching for a new piano. One unfortunate reality of my life is that I often feel compelled to practice piano at times when the rest of the family is asleep... as you may guess, we're seriously eyeing a digital (or something from Yamaha's silent line) piano, so I can just plug in some headphones and play to my heart's (and my Russian piano teacher's) content at any time.

So, I'm looking for a solid pair of headphones–i.e, better than the stock cans I'll get with the piano–to do justice to the piano's tones. They should be comfortable to wear for a long time (I've no problem with break-in, though, if it's worth it). I really have no way to gauge what price is reasonable, but I will say that I don't need or want the most uber-quality thing out there. So as for a maximum price, I'll tentatively say around a couple hundred dollars.

I don't have possess any sort of facial accessory that could obstruct around-ear headphones... ahem... but as a 15-year-old I do value portability. Finally, I assume open headphones are best for this use case?

Thanks in advance.

ATH-M50 is a good one from what i heard about it.

AKG K612 might be a good choice for listening to classical instruments/ music.

They have a little more bass than the K701 and K702 (which sort of have resessed bass), but still a good sound signature and good mids and highs

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I suspect that something from the Beyerdynamic DT line would be more comfortable than the over-recommended ATH-M50, especially for those long practice sessions. The AKG K612 is also a good suggestion.

As a side note, I recommend that you consider an acoustic piano (or one of the Yamaha silent models) if you are a serious student. A digital piano just doesn't compare to a mechanical action and that will hold back your technique.

coming from pure sound I don't like my ath m50 listening to piano as much as the ath ad700. the 700 isn't that portable though. 

AKG K612 might be a good choice for listening to classical instruments/ music.

They have a little more bass than the K701 and K702 (which sort of have resessed bass), but still a good sound signature and good mids and highs

+1 Friggin love my K612's.

Then again, they're not really portable headphones..... OP, would you consider getting two cheaper headphones for different purposes? Some IEMs for portable use, and some comfy open 'phones for home?

i think any headphone that fits the input jack on the piano will work almost the same as others.
just choose whichever is comfier

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Thanks, everyone – sorry I've taken this long to reply.

I suspect that something from the Beyerdynamic DT line would be more comfortable than the over-recommended ATH-M50, especially for those long practice sessions. The AKG K612 is also a good suggestion.

As a side note, I recommend that you consider an acoustic piano (or one of the Yamaha silent models) if you are a serious student. A digital piano just doesn't compare to a mechanical action and that will hold back your technique.

What do you think about the DT 770 Pro's? I'm fascinated by the 32/80/250 ohm impedance options (especially with the 80 ohms being the most expensive). I don't really know what to use as a reasonable comparison, but I suppose the 80 ohms would be fine for my purposes?

As for the piano, thanks for the recommendation, and I agree. Right now I'm torn between a silent model (like the U1 SH... or the U3) and an AvantGrand (the N2). The AvantGrand is actually quite impressive in emulating the action of a full grand, and for a digital piano it sounds realistic... but it's a digital piano (and not as advanced as some of the silent series)... but it's still a major step up from the old spinet we have now... anyways, I digress :rolleyes:.

Then again, they're not really portable headphones..... OP, would you consider getting two cheaper headphones for different purposes? Some IEMs for portable use, and some comfy open 'phones for home?

Short answer: sure, show me the cheap comfy 'phones :P. I'm open to anything.

...That said, I don't need any new audio equipment for when I'm on-the-go, and I don't want to sacrifice potential audio quality when I'm at home, so I'll definitely consider the K612's. Their weight (and comfort, as far as I can tell) is especially appealing.

Lastly, I'm looking at the ATH M50x, or the M50. I like that they can fold, they have a replaceable cables, and the blue color is very striking. They've a relatively low impedance, at 38 ohms, which is interesting. However, they're the heaviest of the three that have been mentioned, and many claim that they aren't very comfortable (the M50's, at least). I also don't think I'd find the pleather-type cups very appealing. Like the DT 770's, they're closed... which I don't think I want... and while I'm on the subject of the DT 770's, I recall reading one user posting that he used his pair as earmuffs for one winter. Hmm.

So, as it stands, I'm leaning towards the K612's. Going once, going twice...?

What do you think about the DT 770 Pro's? I'm fascinated by the 32/80/250 ohm impedance options (especially with the 80 ohms being the most expensive). I don't really know what to use as a reasonable comparison, but I suppose the 80 ohms would be fine for my purposes?

As for the piano, thanks for the recommendation, and I agree. Right now I'm torn between a silent model (like the U1 SH... or the U3) and an AvantGrand (the N2). The AvantGrand is actually quite impressive in emulating the action of a full grand, and for a digital piano it sounds realistic... but it's a digital piano (and not as advanced as some of the silent series)... but it's still a major step up from the old spinet we have now... anyways, I digress :rolleyes:.

I think the 770s would be nice. I'm not sure what the best impedance would be best for an electric piano but as far as sound goes there wouldn't be much difference. The 80 ohm version is probably pretty safe. Of course if you don't want closed cans the 770s would not be the best.

To be perfectly honest I hate the feel of Yamaha actions but there isn't really anything wrong with them pre se. If you have tried the models you mention and like them, you'll probably be well-served by either. Aside from the silence, you won't have to deal with maintenance of an acoustic instrument which I can assure you is a pain.

Wait, you own the K612s? Could you maybe do a quick review on them or something? I was thinking about swapping my DT770s out for these since I don't need the isolation anymore.

THE signature

ATH-M50 is a good one from what i heard about it.

ATH-M50

I take it neither of you own M50's? If you did, you wouldn't recommend them for this purpose.

280 Pro's might be an idea or otherwise Amperiors might be another alternative which do give you better portability, less bass than the 280's but what I feel is better upper mids and low highs. 

Alright. I like to be able to lay things out when I'm thinking... so for the sake of organization, the suggested models are as follows.

• ATH M50(x)
  • Beyer. DT 770 Pro-80
  • AKG K612
  • Senn. HD 280 Pro
  • Senn. Amperior

And I'll go ahead and redefine my criteria. I still have no experience with... any of this, so I may be wrong here.

• Accuracy is important, as this is for a digital piano and not rap/hip hop.
  • The more comfortable, the better. I'm looking for something I can wear for a couple hours at a time without fatigue (or sweat).
  • I imagine that I would prefer open phones to closed ones. I don't need noise cancelation, I don't need to be enveloped in my own little bubble of music, so closed cans don't specifically appeal to me in any way over open ones.
  • I also imagine that I would prefer around-ear (circumaural?) phones, though this isn't a big deal if it fits the rest of the criteria.
  • Price should be reasonable. I'm in the US.
  • Build quality shouldn't be flimsy.

I wish there was an objective resource I could use in researching all of this, but unfortunately so much of this is (can be) subjective... or maybe some people just don't know what they're talking about, but if so it's pretty tough to tell the difference. One question I have is about the so-called "break-in" that accompanies some headphones. Is this a thing? I find myself reading one review describing the intense break-in period and then another that tells me why break-in can't possibly exist.

Anyways, thank you Windspeed for your reply. I like the features of the 280 Pro's, especially for the price. I don't think that I want that much noise cancelation, though; the occluding effect isn't for me.

As for the DT770's, the 80 ohm is a bit out of my price range (on Amazon). I've also read some users reporting sibilance with these phones...?

So, I'm back to the K612's. They seem to meet all my criteria, even if they look kind of weird (and kind of nice at the same time). I probably won't buy any headphones util we purchase a piano, which might be a week or two, but as of now I'm planning on buying the K612's. Still open to suggestions, though.