PCI 4.0 vs 3.0 GPU only

tjrose91
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
17 hours ago, tjrose91 said:

Right we are already in PCI-E 5.0 in new high end MB's and I'm like unless i switched to Pure NVME storage might be nice for a new retro case build then it be a different story or with LTT petabyte SSD storage solution but most people dont have 1million dollars to spend on such a setup

Even then unless you are using your storage as a scratch disk for highly intensive tasks the difference between a good sata ssd and a blazing fast 4.0 drive is next to none in general use, gaming,...

Wondering if my main gaming setup is being a bottleneck, I'm not worried about PCIE 4.0 for storage as most home users wont see a major improvement on storage I feel I don't need to upgrade to pure NVME for a long time  
I mostly game at 4k and aim for 120hz as I have an Acer Predator 4k 120hz monitor with 144hz capability but don't like the split line in the middle 

CPU - 10700k

GPU - 6900xt 

Storage 

1x1tb nvme intel 660p for Boot

2x1tb Sata in Raid 0 for Steam Games mostly

2x10tb Sata HDD in Raid 1 Main Backup

Cooling CPU+GPU (120mm+240mm+280mm Rads) D5 Res Pump

Ram Corsair 3600Mhz 4x8gb ddr4

i have a second backup gaming system if i really need to test more for myself

CPU 

Ryzen 5600x air-cooled

GPU - Currently a 5700xt air cooled

Ram - Supposed to be 4x4gb 3000mhz but downgraded to 2x4gb as i needed the two extra sticks

Cooling Air

It is only a bottleneck with Radeon 6500XT, all other cards will be fine, even the next gen ones.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

It is only a bottleneck with Radeon 6500XT, all other cards will be fine, even the next gen ones.

just came across a new Gamers Nexus Video so it came across my mind, figuring i wont need to actually upgrade for 5 years since i got the CPU 2018 i think upgraded from an 5960x so a 2014 system, GPU i normally transfer to new builds so i can save up for the a new GPU

Just now, tjrose91 said:

just came across a new Gamers Nexus Video so it came across my mind, figuring i wont need to actually upgrade for 5 years since i got the CPU 2018 i think upgraded from an 5960x so a 2014 system, GPU i normally transfer to new builds so i can save up for the a new GPU

Yeah like @Origami Cactus was saying, the thing with the 6500 XT is that it's PCIe 4 x4. So if you put it in a PCIe 3.0 slot, it goes down to PCIe 3 x4. Which is way different from a PCIe 4 x16 card in a PCIe 3 x16 slot. 

The impact of putting your 6900 XT in a PCIe slot is probably within margin of error. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

12 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Yeah like @Origami Cactus was saying, the thing with the 6500 XT is that it's PCIe 4 x4. So if you put it in a PCIe 3.0 slot, it goes down to PCIe 3 x4. Which is way different from a PCIe 4 x16 card in a PCIe 3 x16 slot. 

The impact of putting your 6900 XT in a PCIe slot is probably within margin of error. 

Right we are already in PCI-E 5.0 in new high end MB's and I'm like unless i switched to Pure NVME storage might be nice for a new retro case build then it be a different story or with LTT petabyte SSD storage solution but most people dont have 1million dollars to spend on such a setup

17 hours ago, tjrose91 said:

Even then unless you are using your storage as a scratch disk for highly intensive tasks the difference between a good sata ssd and a blazing fast 4.0 drive is next to none in general use, gaming,...