Another Request for Help...

💸Budget (including currency): 

| Currency | US Dollar

| Budget |$2k-$4k

🗺️Country: USA

🎮Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

| Main Objective | Have it last for many years with a lot of use and good care. Little need for upgrades since many pcs now, especially mine, are becoming outdated. (Explained below if curious)

| Uses | Art Programs (video editing hobby, visual novel hobby, etc), Large Mod Loads (Minecraft with over 15+ mods for world builds, Sims with folders of added custom made content), General Gaming (playing FF14, Valkyria Chronicals, Monster Hunter, etc), Future Streaming (Streaming art and some gaming with 2D model)

📔Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

| Explanation if Curious | I explained in my previous post, but incase for those who didn't see it. My current PC is over 10 years old by this point, it's an all in one touch screen ASUS pc, more so for office use than what I've put it through. My dad is insisting to get me an upgraded pc for everything I need as I use it almost on the daily with what I do; as well give the old one to mom for easier use for her work. This new pc will be used for my art career, hobbies and gaming with friends who live faraway.

| Parts List | Don't have one, sadly.

| When | I plan to try to hit the sales during the year when they pop up to help get everything for hopefully a lower price. Especially Black Friday. So over the course of the year more than likely. Unless I some how strike gold of luck to find all on sale at once.

| Resolution | I do like to play with beautiful graphics, it's just a me thing to immerse into the game and I like doing in-game photography. It also helps for when drawing characters and cosplay to see all the details as needed. I at least ask medium quality or for the highest quality. Having it run smooth is my top priority, because it gets absolutely frustrating if it buffers and ruins the fun.

| Additional Request | My dad wants all the information possible, if you can make a few separate lists of builds for the range of $2k-$4k it would help a ton. Espeically one for $2000, then a middle one like $2,500 to $3000 and last one for $4000. We want to compare and have a discussion which is the best option. Any advice involving computers and care maintenance help a ton.

Thank you a whole ton, hope this isn't too demanding a request. 😅

12 minutes ago, AliceRabbit said:

| When | I plan to try to hit the sales during the year when they pop up to help get everything for hopefully a lower price. Especially Black Friday. So over the course of the year more than likely. Unless I some how strike gold of luck to find all on sale at once.

This'll be a little rough due to the current market (not just for prices, mostly launches. Prices aren't too bad atm, and continue to get better). New (and seriously more performant) components are going to be launching 1-2 months before Black friday, and that's far enough into the future that it becomes hard to make a list that I can guarentee will be relevant in 6-8 months. 

A few things to remember: 
- Peripherals are very important. Don't skimp! 

- Windows can be transferred from device to device, no need to purchase another license (if applicable). 

- 2k for a computer is a very solid budget that can accomodate pretty high-end componentry. 4k is approaching Top of the line (and severe diminishing returns). I advise sticking with a build closer to the 2-3k mark and either saving the money or diverting it to peripherals. 

Due to the date in which you plan to build, I just selected a template that I made to paste here. Feel free to ask questions/request changes if you'd like, I'd be happy to assist. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FDrbhk

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

5 minutes ago, AliceRabbit said:

I plan to try to hit the sales during the year when they pop up to help get everything for hopefully a lower price. Especially Black Friday. So over the course of the year more than likely. Unless I some how strike gold of luck to find all on sale at once.

Don't do that, for two main reasons. 

1. Prices trend downwards in PC hardware. You might find a sale today, but in a month that might be the standard price for it. Plus new hardware releases occur over the course of time so while what you might find genuinely is a great deal today, in a month or two the next gen part will be out and you can either get that for about the same price you just paid but it be faster, or the part you just bought dropped in price 20% or more. Basically, trying to buy everything at the lowest possible price usually ends up costing you more money than it saves.
  2. DOA hardware is not unheard of, and if you'll end up outside the return window for most of the parts you buy so you're stuck dealing with the RMA departments which tend to suck. 

It's fine if you want to wait for one of the bigger sales, but buy everything at once. Plus there's also the argument of opportunity cost where even if you do manage to save $100 buying over the course of 6 months (which is about what you could imagine to save if everything went your way), that was 6 months you were stuck using your crappy all in one. 

Also ask for help in finalizing the parts list ~1 week or less from when you plan on buying (basically at the start of whatever sale you want to get parts with) because with how much prices change, what makes sense to buy today usually doesn't make sense to buy in 2 weeks (sometimes even les)

42 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Don't do that, for two main reasons. 

1. Prices trend downwards in PC hardware. You might find a sale today, but in a month that might be the standard price for it. Plus new hardware releases occur over the course of time so while what you might find genuinely is a great deal today, in a month or two the next gen part will be out and you can either get that for about the same price you just paid but it be faster, or the part you just bought dropped in price 20% or more. Basically, trying to buy everything at the lowest possible price usually ends up costing you more money than it saves.
  2. DOA hardware is not unheard of, and if you'll end up outside the return window for most of the parts you buy so you're stuck dealing with the RMA departments which tend to suck. 

It's fine if you want to wait for one of the bigger sales, but buy everything at once. Plus there's also the argument of opportunity cost where even if you do manage to save $100 buying over the course of 6 months (which is about what you could imagine to save if everything went your way), that was 6 months you were stuck using your crappy all in one. 

Also ask for help in finalizing the parts list ~1 week or less from when you plan on buying (basically at the start of whatever sale you want to get parts with) because with how much prices change, what makes sense to buy today usually doesn't make sense to buy in 2 weeks (sometimes even les)

Thank you for the advice!

I'll make sure to return back here to make sure the parts list is good to go before we start trying to buy everything. I suppose the thing would be too we don't know where to get all of the parts. I know there is new egg, but I wonder if BestBuy may have some things to save on shipping costs at least? As much as me and him do love our games, we're just clueless. haha

10 minutes ago, AliceRabbit said:

Thank you for the advice!

I'll make sure to return back here to make sure the parts list is good to go before we start trying to buy everything. I suppose the thing would be too we don't know where to get all of the parts. I know there is new egg, but I wonder if BestBuy may have some things to save on shipping costs at least? As much as me and him do love our games, we're just clueless. haha

Use PCPartPicker, it (usually) gets the best price available from all major retailers (Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, B&H, etc.) for a specific part while also verifying that everything is compatible (it's not fool proof, I've seen it show stuff that isn't compatible saying it is and vice versa).