Thoughts on upgrading the SSDs of MacBook Pro Non-touch bar (2017) and other older macbooks using an adapter and an NVMe SSD?

Hi!

I recently received two MacBooks from relatives (a 2017 MacBook Pro and a 2017 MacBook Air), and I was wondering whether upgrading their SSDs using an adapter and an NVMe SSD is worth it. This is because I'm planning to use the Macbook Pro, while to sell the Macbook air; however, both just have 128 GB of storage each.

I saw several guides on YouTube on how to do the upgrade, but comments on their videos state that some users experienced instability, very short battery life, etc.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and ideas about it. 😄

P.S. - Photos were grabbed off Google and YouTube

AYLMER NVMe M.2 ngff ssd for 2016 2017 13" macbook pro a1708 adapter cardSabrent Rocket Nano - Solid state drive | www.shi.comimage.thumb.png.175da2644dc657c47ebbc24545061828.png

as you already stated it can cause issues... that's a risk you're taking.  you could also go on ebay and buy a genuine Apple SSD from a higher capacity model of the same laptop. that should be fine since it's all genuine Apple parts. 

She/Her

Regarding battery life, you could look for a SSD that has similar power consumption.

Instability could be caused by power delivery too, if the SSD slots are not meant to deliver more power than original apple parts require.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

14 hours ago, Goppz Legacion said:

upgrading their SSDs using an adapter and an NVMe SSD

Why complicate things? Just get smth from OWC that needs no adapters and made with MacBooks in mind (https://eshop.macsales.com). Have been using OWC SSDs and travel docks for years.

Thanks for all your insights!

As per the suggestions to buy Genuine, OEM, or even the OWC SSDS - I live in Asia, and these are not readily available, or shipping costs are too high. Hoping to find other alternatives 😄

On 4/13/2022 at 6:59 AM, rikitikitavi said:

Why complicate things? Just get smth from OWC that needs no adapters and made with MacBooks in mind (https://eshop.macsales.com). Have been using OWC SSDs and travel docks for years.

Hi! How did the OWC ssd affect your macbook's battery life? Did it reduce battery life, or did it stay the same?

15 hours ago, Goppz Legacion said:

Hi! How did the OWC ssd affect your macbook's battery life? Did it reduce battery life, or did it stay the same?

I only upgraded Unibody models - either swapped HDD, or added extra. Didn't impact battery life afaik.

Since I don't use these laptops anymore, the SSDs are repurposed as external and PS4 storage. Oldest is about 10yo and still working.