whats a good pair of wireless headphones around $200AUD do you recommend for music listening?

Zohan2000

Looking at getting some wireless(bluetooth) headphones for my mobile since its got no headphone jack, what do you recommend getting for primarily music listening and probably youtube or movies on the computer, doesnt need a mic and prefer over ears

budget is around $200(ish) AUD ($150 USD) can go higher if its really worth it

currently looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT2 headphones to try but thought id come here for some opinions

thanks in advance!

I have an older Harman Kardon Bluetooth headset and love it. Great sound. I don't think my exact model is still available, but their site shows these, which are on sale now for $99.99 USD ($149 AUD) -- quite a deal, this is $150 off their usual price of $250 USD.

One thing to be aware of, however, with mine, the USB charge port is either recessed or excessively bordered ever so slightly that most standard USB connectors of that type can't make connection. The aux cable is actually a 2.5mm at the headset, 3.5mm to the source. May or may not be a thing with newer models, but something to be aware of. I have found that the USB charging cable and aux patch cable (mine has the ability to be wired or wireless) are not designed with interchangeability in mind, so I have to make sure my factory cables are handy when necessary.

And yes, I am aware that you don't mess with the Zohan... 🤣

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

37 minutes ago, Zohan2000 said:

Looking at getting some wireless(bluetooth) headphones for my mobile since its got no headphone jack, what do you recommend getting for primarily music listening and probably youtube or movies on the computer, doesnt need a mic and prefer over ears

budget is around $200(ish) AUD ($150 USD) can go higher if its really worth it

currently looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT2 headphones to try but thought id come here for some opinions

thanks in advance!

I am personnally very happy with my Sony WH-CH 700N's. They have around 15-20 Hours of battery on 30% volume, occasionally they get turned up to 50% ifthere's a banger song running. The bass is really good and it has ANC. They are great for movies even though they obviously lack the whole-body-vibration that a dedicated subwoofer gets you but you really feel the bass

Edited by DreamCat04

after watching MKBHD's video on the sony WH-1000XM4, am considering getting those instead, is more expensive but if the sound is better then it might be worth it

anyone here used those headphones?

3 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

after watching MKBHD's video on the sony WH-1000XM4, am considering getting those instead, is more expensive but if the sound is better then it might be worth it

depending on what kind of music you listen to, and what your needs are. I  feel if you like a lot of bass with the CLassic Sony Consumer tuning they are certainly a pick especially if you plan on commuting. but they are certainly better than the m50xbt and certainly better than beats. IMo for wireless options I think TWS In ears to be the best for the use case even in regards to sound and overall value. but if your set on headphones certainly can do worse than the xm4's

5 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

after watching MKBHD's video on the sony WH-1000XM4, am considering getting those instead

Don't EVER take audio advice from average consumer media like Marques Brownlee, Unbox Therapy, or any other. They have no idea what they're talking about and they make that abundantly apparent. I don't think I've ever heard them use correct audio terminologies when describing sound or seen them refer to measurements before. There are like 7 main people to pay attention to, the rest are just noise.

Crinacle (In-Ear Fidelity)

Resolve (The Headphone Show / headphones.com)

Joshua Valor

DMS

Zeos Pantera (Z Reviews)

GoldenSound

Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews

GoldenSound is also a member here on the forum as well, and I'd consider him to be one of the big seven. He made an exceptional piece covering MQA a while back and I've been watching since.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

depending on what kind of music you listen to, and what your needs are. I  feel if you like a lot of bass with the CLassic Sony Consumer tuning they are certainly a pick especially if you plan on commuting. but they are certainly better than the m50xbt and certainly better than beats. IMo for wireless options I think TWS In ears to be the best for the use case even in regards to sound and overall value. but if your set on headphones certainly can do worse than the xm4's

would get in ears but i havent been able to find anything that fits good like the classic stock wired apple earbuds that you got with the iphone 4 or 5s plus i find the over ears a lot more comfortable over time and not a heavy bass guy, do like some bass boost just not a lot thats stupidly loud

12 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Don't EVER take audio advice from average consumer media like Marques Brownlee, Unbox Therapy, or any other. They have no idea what they're talking about and they make that abundantly apparent. I don't think I've ever heard them use correct audio terminologies when describing sound or seen them refer to measurements before. There are like 7 main people to pay attention to, the rest are just noise.

Crinacle (In-Ear Fidelity)

Resolve (The Headphone Show / headphones.com)

Joshua Valor

DMS

Zeos Pantera (Z Reviews)

GoldenSound

Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews

GoldenSound is also a member here on the forum as well, and I'd consider him to be one of the big seven. He made an exceptional piece covering MQA a while back and I've been watching since.

ill give those youtubers a look and see what they have to say about the sonys and the ATs

12 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Zeos Pantera (Z Reviews)

Really? 'Z' reviews? I mean really?! He is NOT an audio reviewer, whenever I see any audio 'reviews' by him, I'd ignore the heck out off him. I'd go read articles/reviews/impressions over at HeadFi and SBAF, used to watch Tyl from Innerfidelity when I was looking around for cans (have since given my search as I have a number of cans that I like). I can't comment about the others, but 'Z' isn't an audio reviewer, not by a long shot!

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

1 hour ago, GamerDude said:

Really? 'Z' reviews? I mean really?! He is NOT an audio reviewer, whenever I see any audio 'reviews' by him, I'd ignore the heck out off him. I can't comment about the others, but 'Z' isn't an audio reviewer, not by a long shot!

I mean... if having a channel dedicated to reviewing Headphones, IEMs, Tower Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Studio Monitors, Amplifiers, DACs, Receivers, etc. doesn't make him an audio reviewer... I don't know what does. You can disagree with someones views without trying to discredit them, that claim is objectively false. The man lives and breaths audio, and has a house filled to the brim with audio gear (a house which was also bought using his earnings from doing such). Dude probably has more experience than most of us combined with all of the gear he has.

I don't get why people hate on Zeos, he's a nice guy and he's made a living for himself doing what he loves and helping out other people in that field. I don't agree with everything he says but I still respect his experience, as you should too. Zeos also just has a very likeable personality, and there's 254,000 people that agree with me on that. I'd like to see you pump out audio related content for 8 years just to have some random guy on a forum trash it 🤨

1305620840_Screenshot2022-04-13224523.png.f325cccf572a899162af22e426a488fe.png

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

2 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

I mean... if having a channel dedicated to reviewing Headphones, IEMs, Tower Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Studio Monitors, Amplifiers, DACs, Receivers, etc. doesn't make him an audio reviewer... I don't know what does. You can disagree with someones views without trying to discredit them, that claim is objectively false. The man lives and breaths audio, and has a house filled to the brim with audio gear (a house which was also bought using his earnings from doing such). Dude probably has more experience than most of us combined with all of the gear he has.

I don't get why people hate on Zeos, he's a nice guy and he's made a living for himself doing what he loves and helping out other people in that field. I don't agree with everything he says but I still respect his experience, as you should too. Zeos also just has a very likeable personality, and there's 254,000 people that agree with me on that. I'd like to see you pump out audio related content for 8 years just to have some random guy on a forum trash it 🤨

1305620840_Screenshot2022-04-13224523.png.f325cccf572a899162af22e426a488fe.png

Let's just agree to disagree (vehemently) on this, I don't think he knows what good audio is (which is subjective to begin with), but he caters to the masses, spewing what I believe to to popular opinions (but hey, that's just my opinion). He gets it more or less correct sometimes, but I dislike the way he has to resort to expletives to get his points across, or that he resorts to that so that he comes across as the average Joe so that his subscribers can identify with him. That's just my take on him, which anyone can freely disagree with. I don't think the peeps at HeadFi and SBAF think much of him is all I can say....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

12 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

The WH-1000 series is the best portable ANC headset on the market, imo. Audiophiles will nitpick the sound quality of course, but there are other important factors while on-the-go.

If you don't need the ANC as much but still want something travel worthy, I like the Shure Aonic 50. Fairly neutral sound and the price has been low lately. They're more a studio headphone with bluetooth bolted on, so the technology isn't quite up to modern standards. Sounds great in passive cable-only use, which can't be said about most ANC headsets. Avoid the Aonic 40 due to a worse build quality.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:55 PM, ShearMe said:

The WH-1000 series is the best portable ANC headset on the market, imo. Audiophiles will nitpick the sound quality of course, but there are other important factors while on-the-go.

I use either my Buds2 or WH-1000XM3 when I'm out and about, in addition to my various wired IEMs + iBasso DC02, and I agree, the WH-1000 series are fun sounding and would appeal to most, plus the ANC is pretty damn good too.

Anything Audiotechnica is a good bet honestly. I use a pair of their wireless buds for work and my bike commute and besides some weird glitches they sound GREAT for being so small and the battery life is incredible, could expect the same performance from full headphones from them for sure.