Tips on right time to buy Graphics card

Edgar R. Zakarian
Go to solution Solved by dilpickle,

Prices are dropping. If you look on ebay there are some cards even being sold under MSRP (shock)

When the 40 series comes out you should be easily able to get a used 30 for a good price.

Hi guys, 

So I know that the new RTX 4xxx series and probably Radeon RX 7xxx series should launch around Q3 this year. 
Any tips on what the best course of action would be? 

Was initially waiting for the new 4xxx series to buy one of those when they came out, but a source says that they'll initiate at a higher price.
AMD Radeon RX 7000 Series Release Date, Pricing & Spec Rumours (techadvisor.com) (Amd was hinting at higher prices)

My plan was then to wait for the announcement of the new series and see the drop in prices for RTX 3xxx series, and buy one on the used marked then. 
- Any ideas/tips? 

Currently just slowly saving up, but NOT willing to pay current insane prices, whether it's on new or used marked.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

If you NEED a new card now and are willing/able to pay current prices, then go ahead and upgrade. If you WANT a new card, then only you can decide if your willing to pay current prices or wait and gamble on speculation. If you don't need a new card and are okay with current performance, then wait. No more complicated than that.

Until the next gen product is released EVERYTHING is speculation (performance, price of old gen, availability, etc.). There's also always something new on the horizon...

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Prices are dropping. If you look on ebay there are some cards even being sold under MSRP (shock)

When the 40 series comes out you should be easily able to get a used 30 for a good price.

19 hours ago, dilpickle said:

That's my plan then :P! Let's see how it goes.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |