Poor USB 3.2 gen 2 Write speed through Motherboard port

healthyboy

Hello there,

I recently purchased Kingston DataTraveler Max 1TB USB-C Flash Drive which operates at USB 3.2 gen 2 speed, and i ran into an interesting situation : if I connect it to the USB-C port on my Motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master) I get a read speed of 1GBps and write speed of around 370 MBps in Crystal Disk Mark, however if I connect it to the USB-C port on my RTX 2080 I get 1GBps speed for both read and write, I tried updating drivers, connecting to different ports, tinkering with BIOS settings to no avail, the write speed through the Motherboard port sucks consistently, but only the write speed!

I also noticed that if i connect it to a USB A 3.1 gen 1 port with a full-speed adapter, I get a read speed of 450 MBps and write speed of 250 MBps, so it got me thinking that it may has something to do with how Windows emulates the device, because it is connected as "USB-Attached SCSI" but then this is the same as when it is connected through the GPU, so I ran out of ideas at this point, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

You need to enable write caching in disk/device management. Windows disables it by default and that’s why you get poor write speed. It’s safer for the data during a power-loss event, which is why they changed the setting. Newer drives are shipping with chipsets that force write caching enabled by default now because of this. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

On 4/6/2022 at 3:32 PM, SSD Sean said:

You need to enable write caching in disk/device management. Windows disables it by default and that’s why you get poor write speed. It’s safer for the data during a power-loss event, which is why they changed the setting. Newer drives are shipping with chipsets that force write caching enabled by default now because of this. 

but why would it be working at full speed when connected to the USB-C port on the GPU ?