GPU running hot, hot, hot!

GlassBomb

Alright, so I've got this 6950 (ASUS DirectCU II, dual slot, no tri-slot). And well, it's running quite hot. CCC and other software tells me that it's running at ~60C when idle, 80+ on load.

So what I have done myself thus far is taken off the heatsink, cleaned it off some and re-applied some thermal paste. But it didn't end up doing anything about the temps, at all.

So what are your suggestions? I'm thinking of just replacing it with something from Nvidia in the future as of right now, if I can't solve this issue.. (I like how much cooler they are currently).

What does HWMonitor have to say about it? MSI Afterburner?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What case do you have and what is your fan config? Can we see pictures of your rig? 

Download GPU-Z and show the  idle temp and then play some games and report the max temp.

But if you're truly idleing at 60 c, you need to send it back.

Intel core i5-3570k @ 3.4 GHz - Sapphire Radeon HD7870 Ghz OC Ed 1050/1250 - Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD - G.Skill 8 GB's DDR3-1600 MHz 

Asus Z77-A mobo - Windows 7 64 bit - Corsair raptor HS30 headset - Corsair CX600 600w PSU - CM hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

It can run crysis.

Dust buildup might be causing it, clean the card with compressed air :)

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

If I were you, I'd put my hand next to the card and feel if the air at idle feels hot, if it does, then the temperature sensor is fine and the card should be sent back.

If it feels cool, then the sensor is probably faulty, and if you feel it's necessary, you can send it back.

Have you overclocked the shit out of it? If so, that explains your temps. 

No, it doesn't.

Regardless of OC, when idle the GPU throttles down to a low power state (mine is 300/150 Mhz), so it wouldn't be causing that much heat.

Intel core i5-3570k @ 3.4 GHz - Sapphire Radeon HD7870 Ghz OC Ed 1050/1250 - Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD - G.Skill 8 GB's DDR3-1600 MHz 

Asus Z77-A mobo - Windows 7 64 bit - Corsair raptor HS30 headset - Corsair CX600 600w PSU - CM hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

It can run crysis.

To follow up on some questions. Currently running it with the side panel off on my case. It jumps up to ~60C shortly after I have booted the PC, and while running games it jumps up to 80+.

It is not overclocked at the moment, but have been running a fairly mild overclock previously.

When I cleaned it out, I used compressed air and got rid of any build-up of dust, junk, and alike.

Download GPU-Z and show the  idle temp and then play some games and report the max temp.

But if you're truly idleing at 60 c, you need to send it back.

my gtx 560 runs at 60c at idle  and 75 under load :(

I'm guessing that this chip is just running out of its life-cycle. It IS a three-year-old card afterall :P

And it's starting to struggle with its 1GB buffer for my 1440p monitors.

But if anyone has any further suggestions, I'll take them. Will also reply with as good information as I can for any questions you might have.

when you re-applied the cooler after replacing the TIM, how tight did you pull the screws? I recently found out that playing around with the torque on the 4 screws around the GPU can make some pretty remarkable temperature differences. 

When did you acquire the 1440p monitor?
That would put more strain on the chip than a 1080p

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

It could also be the thermal paste, you might wanna take the cooler of and apply some new paste.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

AIR FLOW, if the case fans are no enough get a 30" floor fan and put it blowing air directly into the case with the side panel off.  Sit back and watch your temps drop like a rock.

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin