Which monitor should I pick?

IAmAndre

Hi guys,

Last Christmas, I was very close to buying a Samsung G9. At the last minute I changed my mind and bought an RTX 3070 for a quarter of the price (after selling my old GPU) and I think it was a better investment at the time.

Now I want to upgrade my Acer 32" monitor. I'm using it mostly for productivity (coding, content writing, Excel, Premiere Pro and After Effects) so I don't care that much about the gaming features. I do have a lot of games in my library, but no competitive shooters requiring high refresh rates. We're talking Age of Empires, RDR2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc. I 

also need a tall monitor for productivity, especially for After Effects.

Now I've had my eyes lately on the LG 37.5" UltraGear 38GN950-B, currently on sale from €1500 to €1000. The reviews are pretty positive but I'm not sure if 1) I'd have enough height space compared to my 32" 4K monitor with 125% scaling and 2) if it's worth the price. The second point is interesting because I'm seeing alternatives like the LG 34" LED - 34GN850-B for €850, or even the LG 34" LED - 34WN780-B at €499. So I could literally buy two of these for that price.

What would be the best investment, especially considering that I could also get the latest Dell OLED monitor for €100-200 more.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

especially considering that I could also get the latest Dell OLED monitor for €100-200 more

dont think you're the audience for this display

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

dont think you're the audience for this display

This video is currently heavily shared on Reddit with most people disagreeing with it. There are even a lot of memes about it.

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

This video is currently heavily shared on Reddit with most people disagreeing with it. There are even a lot of memes about it.

Doesn't Reddit disagree with everything? Reddit is known to make a huge deal out of minor problems and especially known for being a loud minority in a lot of cases. I wouldn't trust a word coming from there. This is what happens when a forum gets "too mainstream": The percentage of people who actually know what they're talking about drastically drops.

But yes, he kind of contradicts himself imo. He says it's not good for reading or productivity, yet he also said the subpixel layout was not noticeable from a normal viewing distance. So what is it? In the end these things are very subjective. Even though it's likely a non-issue for most people it's still important that the information is out there. But i've seen some news outlets calling this monitor technology DOA because of this, which is just a ridiculous claim.

The Gigabyte M27Q was heavily discussed with the same problem and there are people that say it is terrible after trying it out. But the majority if users think it's not a problem. Because of that it is still one of the most popular IPS monitors. So far it seems to be the same with the AW3423DW. Some people find it annoying while most don't.

I'd say try the Alienware out if you like overall performance of this monitor and think it fits into your use. If it does fit into your workflow, then there is surely no better option currently on the market. If you have issues then you can still either return or resell it (probably even for profit due to the supply issues). But you'll have to find one in stock first. I ordered mine a few days ago and delivery is only around August..At least Dell has the decency to only charge me AFTER it is delivered.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I agree with @Moonzy, doesn't make any sense for you to be buying a gaming focused monitor when you state yourself you're not going after the gaming features.

If you're looking for more space, why don't you check out the 5k ultrawide monitors by LG?

This is the display size between the 38" and the 32".

http://www.displaywars.com/comparisons/37,5-inch-d_12x5_-vs-32-inch-16x9.png

The 32" monitor is 1.3" taller.

Does that matter? Something only you can answer.

This is 34" vs 38".

http://www.displaywars.com/comparisons/37,5-inch-d_12x5_-vs-34-inch-21x9.png

I'd personally be looking at something like a 49" ultrawide.

34" vs 49".

http://www.displaywars.com/comparisons/49-inch-d_32x9_-vs-34-inch-21x9.png

You'd probably get the absolute most real estate out of 2 of those 34" monitors, but are you going to be able to set them up in a way that's comfortable?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

I agree with @Moonzy, doesn't make any sense for you to be buying a gaming focused monitor when you state yourself you're not going after the gaming features.

If you're looking for more space, why don't you check out the 5k ultrawide monitors by LG?

This is the display size between the 38" and the 32".

http://www.displaywars.com/comparisons/37,5-inch-d_12x5_-vs-32-inch-16x9.png

The 32" monitor is 1.3" taller.

Does that matter? Something only you can answer.

This is 34" vs 38".

http://www.displaywars.com/comparisons/37,5-inch-d_12x5_-vs-34-inch-21x9.png

I'd personally be looking at something like a 49" ultrawide.

34" vs 49".

http://www.displaywars.com/comparisons/49-inch-d_32x9_-vs-34-inch-21x9.png

You'd probably get the absolute most real estate out of 2 of those 34" monitors, but are you going to be able to set them up in a way that's comfortable?

Thanks for the links. That displaywars website was exactly what I needed.

I think a 38" ultra wide at 1600p would be the sweet spot if money is an issue. 5K at this screen size wouldn't make sense because I'd be scaling up like I'm doing now with my 32" 4K (it would probably be at 150% considering the higher resolution and lower height).

A 49" would also be too narrow but the original G9 is now available at €1120 without any sales so it's still worth considering.

So now I'll need to decide whether I should go for a cheaper 34" or spend the double on a 38". Interestingly, I can't find any 38" ultra wide for less than €1000 and they all have high end gaming features. At the end of the day, price will be the deciding factor.