Can’t get system to post with specific ram kit, ram is confirmed operational

WolfRamAlpha12

I’m building a Plex machine with a 7700k and a Gigabyte Z170N Wi-Fi board. I installed windows and updated everything including bios using a stick of ram from my main PC (Crucial BL2K16G32C16U4RL) while I was waiting for the kit I bought for this machine to arrive.

The kit I bought from r/HardwareSwap is an HP oem one, seems to be pulled from a workstation or prebuilt. https://imgur.com/a/nRIS1kD

If I try to boot with both, or just one of these sticks, in either slot, the system doesn’t post, keeps boot looping.

If I use 1 stick of ram from my main pc, and 1 of these, the system boots, all the memory shows up and even passes ram tests.

Like I mentioned, I have tried updating the bios, clearing cmos, all combinations of just the kit, nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Your RAM is DDR4-3200. There's a chance this board, being Socket 1151, may not support 3200Mhz. While I can't find anything to prove or disprove this, I did find a Gigabyte page making reference to installing Windows 7, which indicates this board is older, which makes it a distinct possibility.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

Your RAM is DDR4-3200. There's a chance this board, being Socket 1151, may not support 3200Mhz. I can't find anything to prove or disprove this, however.

Don’t all Ddr4 default to 2133 when not in xmp?

9 minutes ago, WolfRamAlpha12 said:

Don’t all Ddr4 default to 2133 when not in xmp?

Yes, but some boards don't even support 2133. I actually just re-read the post, I missed something earlier, the current stick is 3200, so that is quite odd. Only thing I can think of is the new kit is DOA or not seated correctly. Also, apparently is HP branded but made by Samsung. In my experience, Samsung isn't known for quality or reliability.

Also, OP, I wouldn't use salvaged parts, especially ANYTHING from a prebuilt. My previous rig was a prebuilt and the board refused to work with a GPU upgrade. I wonder if components from prebuilts would have problems working in other machines also.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Call me crazy, but there appears to be a difference in the pin arrangement between these.... are these all 288-pin?

image.thumb.png.c219f4e469606ce93b1af517eaacbfa4.png

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Yeah. The Samsung kit boots just fine in my z690 board, 3200 at 1.2v