Monitor Query

Agena_

Hi, i have a laptop, and want to have an external monitor

I was looking at cheap used ones near me, and the ones i find have VGA and DVI ports

One person was telling me just get a hdmi to vga adapter

Isnt VGA and DVI slow?

Would a adapter make the screen lag and not perform how you want a dual monitor setup to work like?

Thank You

It's not "slow" in terms of screen updates. They have lower bandwidth, which limits you in terms of maximum resolution and/or refresh rate you can use compared to a monitor with HDMI or DP.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It's not "slow" in terms of screen updates. They have lower bandwidth, which limits you in terms of maximum resolution and/or refresh rate you can use compared to a monitor with HDMI or DP.

so if theres a 1080p monitor, and i use hdmi to vga

I wont see that screen in 1080p HD, it will be low res?

4 hours ago, Agena_ said:

so if theres a 1080p monitor, and i use hdmi to vga

I wont see that screen in 1080p HD, it will be low res?

Have a look at the pinned topic: https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=HDMI&input=VGA

Select the computer output and monitor input and you'll get some information about available adapters and so on. I've already selected HDMI to VGA in the link.

1080p @ 60 Hz should be possible over VGA, but you need to check the description of the adapter you want to buy to see which resolutions it supports. In general I would really try to avoid using VGA unless you have no other choice. At the very least get something with DVI.

Personally, I'd just try to get a decent modern monitor even if it is a bit more pricey. It should last several years and you can continue using it as you upgrade the rest of your hardware in the future. No need to torture yourself with bad image quality.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply