How important is resolution (e.g. 1080p native) for a projector?

cloneman

I'm browsing facebook marketplace and kijiji and LOT of people selling used projectors rated as "XGA" or "WXGA" basically 720p or less. Some of these projectors were released in 2015 and yet are not even 1080p.

I having a high "native" resoluton on projector less important to image quality than it is for a monitor? i.e. do people get decent gaming/movie experiences on a 720p projector with high lumens? What about retro gaming? is 800x600 enough?

20 minutes ago, cloneman said:

I'm browsing facebook marketplace and kijiji and LOT of people selling used projectors rated as "XGA" or "WXGA" basically 720p or less. Some of these projectors were released in 2015 and yet are not even 1080p.

I having a high "native" resoluton on projector less important to image quality than it is for a monitor? i.e. do people get decent gaming/movie experiences on a 720p projector with high lumens? What about retro gaming? is 800x600 enough?

It depends on how big you want the projected image to be. The bigger you want the image with one res (let's say 720p) the bigger the pixels will be and it will look like less and less resolution