LGA 775 new motherboard windows transfer!

Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,
1 minute ago, Kalisan said:

Yes all components are the same except for a motherboard swap that’s still same socket and also from the same exact PC model i have, just known to be working obviously

but i have a question by “booted up fine” do you mean the entire old OS with everything saved on it? Programs and data etc or do you mean it just worked in general as an external one

It should function exactly the same as before the motherboard swap. Apps, programs, files, settings, everything should be exactly as you left them.

Hello everyone 

i got a really interesting question and i hope someone helps regarding this

so i have an hp dc7800p PC with an LGA 775 Q35 chipset on it

but im having some motherboard issues and cannot post

the good news is that probably my RAM/CPU/GPU are all working but the most important part for me is the hard drive

it is working and in okay condition last time i used my PC but i need all the data + OS on it

so the real question here is can i put everything all back together with the same case on a new motherboard with the identical old one ( ig LGA 775 ) then boot into my old drive with everything saved? I wouldn’t mind 10% of issues but i need at least 90% of the windows 10 to operate properly

do not tell me to copy data over and install a fresh windows as that’s completely useless and not the point of what I’m trying to ask/do

side note: it also has a patched theme and many programs installed

i need it all regardless

someone help and let me know as soon as possible as I’m considering this as a best solution for a faulty motherboard also this only happened recently due to a long story that i don’t need to bring up also my power supply is in working condition at 325w max

thanks! 

If I understand correctly, all components are the same except motherboard, which you've swapped for a new one that's same model as old one. Correct?

if so, yes, you should be able to just boot right up with your hard drive. I was in the same situation with an old Dell laptop. Motherboard died, swapped just the motherboard, and everything booted up fine.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Windows 10 is not very picky about this, I've swapped a drive from a 775 system to a 1150 system to an AM4 system with the same install across all 3 and all 3 booted up, installed some drivers, and rebooted a couple times.

If its the same board then yep its guaranteed to post, if its a diff board then thats just luck of the draw

Btw since q35 is just g33 then 400fsb bsel is possible so if you run a low multi cpu like e8xx0 or q9xx0 then you can sqeeze abit of extra performance w/o needing to voltmod

36 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

If I understand correctly, all components are the same except motherboard, which you've swapped for a new one that's same model as old one. Correct?

if so, yes, you should be able to just boot right up with your hard drive. I was in the same situation with an old Dell laptop. Motherboard died, swapped just the motherboard, and everything booted up fine.

Yes all components are the same except for a motherboard swap that’s still same socket and also from the same exact PC model i have, just known to be working obviously

but i have a question by “booted up fine” do you mean the entire old OS with everything saved on it? Programs and data etc or do you mean it just worked in general as an external one

It should function exactly the same as before the motherboard swap. Apps, programs, files, settings, everything should be exactly as you left them.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If its the same board then yep its guaranteed to post, if its a diff board then thats just luck of the draw

Btw since q35 is just g33 then 400fsb bsel is possible so if you run a low multi cpu like e8xx0 or q9xx0 then you can sqeeze abit of extra performance w/o needing to voltmod

It would be the same board yes but what if it was only the same socket? Like just an LGA 775 board but a different model such as the G41 for an example 

thats probably not what im gonna do but just curious about it, if you know kindly tell me

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

That’s great news

even the patched theme installed + startup?

i mean at this point windows would just think it’s exactly the same PC which i never would imagined since windows even 10 still lacks alot when it comes to being handy/easy to deal with

2 minutes ago, Kalisan said:

It would be the same board yes but what if it was only the same socket? Like just an LGA 775 board but a different model such as the G41 for an example 

thats probably not what im gonna do but just curious about it, if you know kindly tell me

It would be fine, as I said I've moved the same SSD with the same Windows 10 install across multiple PC's for testing with the same set of programs and documents and desktop.

Just now, Bitter said:

It would be fine, as I said I've moved the same SSD with the same Windows 10 install across multiple PC's for testing with the same set of programs and documents and desktop.

This is a very old PC + a hard drive though but i think the point still stands out

i now know what to do in order to get it back working

thanks for the both of you

That’s great news

even the patched theme installed + startup?

i mean at this point windows would just think it’s exactly the same PC which i never would imagined since windows even 10 still lacks alot when it comes to being handy/easy to deal with

Yes, any themes and startup changes within the OS will work just as they were.

3 minutes ago, Kalisan said:

Thats just luck of the draw, and avoid the 41, 43, and q+g45 cause they all suck ass due to fsb wall, since you are only on an oem machine just avoid 41 series like the plague

4 minutes ago, Kalisan said:

Basically use some tape to cover some pads or use some conductive ink to connect pads to eachother that control what fsb the cpu runs at stock

Tbh id reccomend boards from the 31, 33, 35, 45, x38/48 since no bullcrap fsb wall so q35 will work fine for fsb oc

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Thats just luck of the draw, and avoid the 41, 43, and q+g45 cause they all suck ass due to fsb wall, since you are only on an oem machine just avoid 41 series like the plague

Basically use some tape to cover some pads or use some conductive ink to connect pads to eachother that control what fsb the cpu runs at stock

Tbh id reccomend boards from the 31, 33, 35, 45, x38/48 since no bullcrap fsb wall so q35 will work fine for fsb oc

Noted but btw

The motherboard I’ll buy is gonna be off the exact same PC model so it will be the Q35 chipset

also im not planning to do any overclocking or even have more modifications than the ones i left with

the cpu i bought is Core 2 Quad Q9300 which is exactly the temporary power i need until i buy an actual gaming build

but all my concerns were just lerking around the OS itself alongside my data

since that wouldn’t be an issue with the identical new board, that’s just the fix i want

you cant believe the amount of time and effort i spent just trying to troubleshoot my old one

if your curious how it got damaged

it was when i decided to do a CPU upgrade from the Core 2 Duo it already had and instead for going on an obvious safe/supported options i was fool enough to go for a modded Xeon E5450 which is originally an LGA 771 processor but it just has a sticker applied to it which literally all it does is convert some pins in order to be read by LGA 775 sockets but the problem is that’s not quite enough to get it to work you need bios modifications/microcodes first so that the BIOS would recognize it

not only that I didn’t do that but my Q35 chipset wasn’t even supported by these 5xxx series xeons at all

what I should’ve done is actually just upgrade the LGA 775 CPU with another LGA 775

but well it already happened and now my PC only power cycles turning on and off repeatedly with no POST

thankfully all my parts are fine because this is an internal BIOS damage and not a hardware one

very oddly