LGA 771 to 775 Issues

Hello everyone I’m new to this forum and i know that what I’m about to say is a bit old and everything but this is very important to me because i want all my saved OS/Data as save as they can be

so I’ve had my LGA 775 PC running for awhile just fine and i recently decided to upgrade it so it could be a better temporary solution until i get a gaming build and an actual modern powerful PC

so i started with the RAM it’s DDR2 but it only had 2GB so i bought unbuffered RAM 2x4 RAM sticks for a total of 8GB it worked fine but then all the troubles start from the CPU upgrade unfortunately I didn’t take precautions when it came to this but anyways i bought a Modded Xeon E5450 didn’t do any bios updates or anything but it already had the sticker adapter to convert 771 socket into 775, I installed it and replaced thermal paste everything was correct 

but afterwards my PC just started spinning with no display then I thought to myself okay it won’t work with my board so I’ll put back the old dual core CPU in, just when i did that my PC starts for 3 seconds then shuts off never posts and keeps going like that for a loop

my PC is a DC 7800p Convertible Minitower

the weird part is i tried almost everything including resetting the CMOS, replacing the battery with a new one, RAM is already new and known to be working also my motherboard light turns on all fans spin, error peep codes can sometimes trigger, Power supply works as well

all of this tells me that my motherboard is in fact working so why isn’t it posting?

I even bought a Quad Q9300 processor which also does the same thing

the only difference is when i put the Unsupported Xeon back my PC stays on but with no beep codes or display

now the question is what can i do to finally get it back to work on an original LGA 775 CPU??

im lost for ideas kindly someone help

thanks!

Sticker adapter? How does a sticker convert between sockets? Also, do you know what mods were done to this supposed xeon?

31 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Sticker adapter? How does a sticker convert between sockets?

The sticker adapter simply swaps two pins on an LGA 771 Xeon enabling it to work in a standard LGA 775 board. It used to be a very common modification for using Xeons to upgrade older C2D systems. Here's a guide about it:

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

the modded 771 Xeon only sport serten chip sets.

i thoght the stiker enables ocing and the 771 to 775 was a file mod?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, BondiBlue said:

The sticker adapter simply swaps two pins on an LGA 771 Xeon enabling it to work in a standard LGA 775 board. It used to be a very common modification for using Xeons to upgrade older C2D systems. Here's a guide about it:

The thing is my chipset is Q35 and the Xeon E5450 isn’t supported on it natively heck even with a bios modification because this specific chipset is very hard and rarely works with xeons for some reason unlike Gigabyte or Asus motherboards it doesn’t even support overclocking it only has simple modifications

now i know that i made a mistake but i already got a refund and have the

Core 2 Quad Q9300 i own both of the cpus alongside my old Core 2 Duo

but why is it that with neither of them i can get a post? PC turns on for 3 seconds then off then that’s pretty much the loop of it

however, what’s weirder is placing the Xeon back makes the PC acts differently still no display but at least there’s light and fans it keeps running

how can I possibly fix this?

28 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

the modded 771 Xeon only sport serten chip sets.

i thoght the stiker enables ocing and the 771 to 775 was a file mod?

No the sticker is for making it able to make contact with the different socket pins, and i got it already with that on but the problem is i only realized it wasn’t supported for my chipset quite late

i already kinda knew that there would be some issues but why is putting back other processors of the same socket not enough to get it back to work/post? This is what i need to know

8 minutes ago, Kalisan said:

No the sticker is for making it able to make contact with the different socket pins, and i got it already with that on but the problem is i only realized it wasn’t supported for my chipset quite late

i already kinda knew that there would be some issues but why is putting back other processors of the same socket not enough to get it back to work/post? This is what i need to know

well if its a mb that it dosent support that could me damage to the mb if used...but just a guess.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

well if its a mb that it dosent support that could me damage to the mb if used...but just a guess.

But why/how though? This issue should be fixable specially after I’ve done several tests and saw an old post on some other forum for a guy trying it out but swapping his old CPU worked just fine

i just wanna know how can an incompatible processor cause any sorts of damage? That’s almost physically not possible + my motherboard even though it’s old but it does still beep error codes and acts so how could it be dead

the bios reset should’ve been enough by itself but maybe i bent some socket pins or something

if you have any ideas let me know otherwise I’d like to ask you if i buy a new LGA 775 motherboard and place all my old hardware + drive back on it

would it boot into windows 10 with everything saved? I know windows can be stupidly programmed that’s why im asking

If it would mostly work fine i might do that as a last resort, I wouldn’t mind a few minor errors or reinstallations but i need at least 90% of the OS to operate properly just out of the box

i wish if Microsoft was more professional with windows