First gen Ryzen two NVMe drives issues

Fraser Cow
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
1 hour ago, Fraser Cow said:

along with a pci-e to M.2 adapter...when I clicked format for either MBR or GPT it gave me an error of "Device which does not exist was specified "

I took the drive to a different PC with a 10th gen Intel CPU and got the same error, until I plugged the drive into a free M.2 slot on the Intel system, then it worked completely normally

Sounds like the adapter is the problem. Caused the same issue in both systems

Ryzen 1600
16GB 3200Mhz
Asus prime X370
Boot Samsung 960evo NVMe 500GB
4 sata HDD/SSD
Corsair 750w

Windows 10 64

Bios: either 5601 or 5603 can't remember. 

So today my brother bought a Samsung 970evo 2TB along with a pci-e to M.2 adapter. When I installed it and went to "manage" in This PC to format it, it popped up normally, but when I clicked format for either MBR or GPT it gave me an error of "Device which does not exist was specified "

I took the drive to a different PC with a 10th gen Intel CPU and got the same error, until I plugged the drive into a free M.2 slot on the Intel system, then it worked completely normally and allowed me to format it. 

After formatting the drive in the M.2 slot, I put the drive back in the adapter and plugged into the Intel system again and it showed up normally and ran a benchmark without issues.

I plugged the formatted drive back into the Ryzen system with the adapter and now it doesn't show up as formatted and still doesn't allow me to format it. 

The adapter is an 8X slot for some reason so I've been plugging it into 16X slots, I wonder if that's part of the issue since some boards split bandwidth when two 16X slots are used. I'm not sure if theres a CPU comparability issue or if it's the motherboard/chipset. 

Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, Fraser Cow said:

Ryzen 1600
16GB 3200Mhz
Asus prime X370
Boot Samsung 960evo NVMe 500GB
4 sata HDD/SSD
Corsair 750w

Windows 10 64

Bios: either 5601 or 5603 can't remember. 

So today my brother bought a Samsung 970evo 2TB along with a pci-e to M.2 adapter. When I installed it and went to "manage" in This PC to format it, it popped up normally, but when I clicked format for either MBR or GPT it gave me an error of "Device which does not exist was specified "

I took the drive to a different PC with a 10th gen Intel CPU and got the same error, until I plugged the drive into a free M.2 slot on the Intel system, then it worked completely normally and allowed me to format it. 

After formatting the drive in the M.2 slot, I put the drive back in the adapter and plugged into the Intel system again and it showed up normally and ran a benchmark without issues.

I plugged the formatted drive back into the Ryzen system with the adapter and now it doesn't show up as formatted and still doesn't allow me to format it. 

The adapter is an 8X slot for some reason so I've been plugging it into 16X slots, I wonder if that's part of the issue since some boards split bandwidth when two 16X slots are used. I'm not sure if theres a CPU comparability issue or if it's the motherboard/chipset. 

Thanks in advance.

This could be because of the adapter and the fact that the mother board may not support it 

does the motherboard have any nvme slots 

11 minutes ago, Noxitb said:

This could be because of the adapter and the fact that the mother board may not support it 

does the motherboard have any nvme slots 

Yes, there is one NVMe slot on the board that is currently occupied by a 500Gb Samsung 960evo. 

2 minutes ago, Fraser Cow said:

Yes, there is one NVMe slot on the board that is currently occupied by a 500Gb Samsung 960evo. 

I I would ether say not enough pci lanes available or it’s a dogie connection are you able to remove the other nvme and see if the 2 tb works in that slot 

along with a pci-e to M.2 adapter...when I clicked format for either MBR or GPT it gave me an error of "Device which does not exist was specified "

I took the drive to a different PC with a 10th gen Intel CPU and got the same error, until I plugged the drive into a free M.2 slot on the Intel system, then it worked completely normally

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 hours ago, Noxitb said:

I I would ether say not enough pci lanes available or it’s a dogie connection are you able to remove the other nvme and see if the 2 tb works in that slot 

The drive shows up in device manager. I ordered another adapter so I'll see what happens tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, Fraser Cow said:

The drive shows up in device manager. I ordered another adapter so I'll see what happens tomorrow. 

ok

On 3/27/2022 at 9:59 AM, Fasauceome said:

That was indeed the problem, thanks for your help!